Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
It's not the be-all and end-all, but it certainly means something, does it not? There is a middle ground to an argument, no?

And Eli Manning stinks. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.
???.
Like I said, everyone is entittled to their opinions, buy why are you singling him out?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
It's not the be-all and end-all, but it certainly means something, does it not? There is a middle ground to an argument, no?

And Eli Manning stinks. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.
I think it means very little. That's my opinion and Matt Cassel has had a nice year. But his team is terribly overrated, has the advantage of playing in arguably the worst division in the AFC and has had the advantage of playing the teams from the NFC West this season, who is without a doubt the worst divsion in the NFL. Take away the 3 wins against the NFC West (a division where the first place team is currently 6-7) and they are 5-5 with blowout losses to two division rivals.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Lincoln Fields

Matt Cassel is squarely not the 5th best Quarterback in the NFL overall or even this year for that matter. Hell, I wouldn't even rate him in the top 15 in all honesty. Pretty much anyone of the Quarterbacks who I would rate in the Top 15 can do what Cassel did this year. This is how I would rate your Starters/QB groups from 1-32 based on some of this year as well as where the QBs are with regards to their careers, aka Carson Palmer is done, etc.

1. Brady, NE
2. Vick, PHI
3. Rivers, SD
4. Rodgers, GB
5. Brees, NO
6. Roethlisberger, PIT
7. Ryan, ATL
8. P. Manning, IND
9. Romo, DAL
10. Schaub, HOU
11. Flacco, BAL
12. E. Manning, NYG
13. Bradford, STL
14. Freeman, TB
15. Fitzpatrick, BUF
16. Cassel, KC
17. Cutler, CHI
18. Garrard, JAC
19. Orton, DEN
20. Stafford, DET
21. Sanchez, NYJ
22. McNabb, WAS
23. Hasselbeck, SEA
24. Campbell, OAK
25. Palmer, CIN
26. MIN QBs/Favre/Jackson
27. TEN QBs/Collins/Young
28. Henne, MIA
29. CLE QBs/McCoy/Delhomme
30. SF QBs/T. Smith/A. Smith
31. ARI QBs/Anderson/Skelton
32. CAR QBs/Clausen/Moore
Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I think it means very little. That's my opinion and Matt Cassel has had a nice year. But his team is terribly overrated, has the advantage of playing in arguably the worst division in the AFC and has had the advantage of playing the teams from the NFC West this season, who is without a doubt the worst divsion in the NFL. Take away the 3 wins against the NFC West (a division where the first place team is currently 6-7) and they are 5-5 with blowout losses to two division rivals.
He is gonna have to roll his ***** on the field these next three weeks with this Aaron Rodgers fiasco crap, speaking in terms of fantasy.

I am like the Sinister Minister of Fantasy, I dominate for like 8 weeks (8 furlongs) and then **** the bed
Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
He is gonna have to roll his ***** on the field these next three weeks with this Aaron Rodgers fiasco crap, speaking in terms of fantasy.

I am like the Sinister Minister of Fantasy, I dominate for like 8 weeks (8 furlongs) and then **** the bed
Me too... I make the playoffs and Kyle Orton thows up a -4 and Raiders D
a -1
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Me too... I make the playoffs and Kyle Orton thows up a -4 and Raiders D
a -1
We don't have playoffs, all 17 weeks. I'm in first in both leagues with 3 to go, but after tonight unless Boldin has a ridiculous game (and Rice brothers and Giants D suck) I am in a three way tie with only the tiebreaker in my favor. I do although play the three worst teams the next three weeks, but in the last week weeks that is probably a bad thing considering all the bad players will be getting 'theirs' since their season is over. argh
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't think QB rating is meaningless in the same way that AVG is for baseball players. Obviously, it can be a useful metric in the long run, but it's just as obvious that it's not THE only stat that matters for a QB.

Interesting that RHT's top five QB's this year are also 1-5 (or close to it) in QB rating as of today.

RE: Eli - come on, the guy throws more wobblers than your average high school quarterback. He was huge in 2008, but that doesn't mean he's 1/10th the player his brother is. I'm not a buyer.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I don't think QB rating is meaningless in the same way that AVG is for baseball players. Obviously, it can be a useful metric in the long run, but it's just as obvious that it's not THE only stat that matters for a QB.

Interesting that RHT's top five QB's this year are also 1-5 (or close to it) in QB rating as of today.

RE: Eli - come on, the guy throws more wobblers than your average high school quarterback. He was huge in 2008, but that doesn't mean he's 1/10th the player his brother is. I'm not a buyer.
Ok so he's not near one of the top QB's ever to play the game. I disagree about the wobblers, I think he throws a good ball. Sometimes his decision making is a bit questionable, but his game management skills which was an issue has gotten progressively better. He is a solid and durable NFL QB that continues to get better. (I know, I am obviously biased)
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The irony of asking who you'd take if you had to win one game then saying you'd choose a QB whose career win percentage is .400 is not lost on me.

Sanchez played poorly yesterday, and the week before. I've never disputed that. But you're dealing with a QB who just made his 28th regular season start and suddenly determining that he has no future in the NFL. Gone are the memories of the game he played against NE in Week 2 or the comeback wins against Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston.

You can't make proclamations on who's good or who's bad by QB ratings and raw stats. I understand you're a Lions fan but I can't see how more than 5-6 GMs in the NFL would take Stafford right now. The guy could separate his shoulder sneezing.

The issue is that Sanchez had a lousy rookie year and knee-jerkers like Tubby Guidohair jumped to the conclusion that he sucks, ignoring factors like age and lack of experience. In the early part of the year, his play made these people reconsider their ironclad opinions, which they don't like doing. Now that he's had a couple of shitty games, they can safely go back to the premature writing him off mode.

The bottom line is he sure as hell has improved from last year to this year but he still has a lot more improving to do, namely in inclement weather games. I don't care what you think of his play thus far, but if you're closing the book on him less than two seasons into his career when he only had 16 college starts, I humbly suggest that you're a moron who doesn't understand the position.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Totally off topic, but the sight of the Vikings logo being painted in the middle of Ford Field kind of makes me want to vomit in my mouth. Maybe this means the NFL will think Detroit not sucking isn't such a bad thing after all? </conspiracy theory>
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Hialeah Park

Here's a tough one. Sanchez or Bradford?

I'd side with Bradford to build a franchise around, but I'm curious to see what others views are on this one. I like both of them as they move forward, but Bradford seems to have the edge imo.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post

I'd side with Bradford to build a franchise around, but I'm curious to see what others views are on this one. I like both of them as they move forward, but Bradford seems to have the edge imo.
Next year will be the year you will know about Bradford. He has been impressive with limited talent
Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Sha Tin

I think the obvious thing that people are missing in regards to Sanchez is that the Jets offensive line has played poorly of late which certainly plays a big factor in how he plays. In the 4th quarter of the last game Miami was blitzing and creating pressure on almost every play.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I think the obvious thing that people are missing in regards to Sanchez is that the Jets offensive line has played poorly of late which certainly plays a big factor in how he plays. In the 4th quarter of the last game Miami was blitzing and creating pressure on almost every play.
They had some individual breakdowns, especially Hunter against Wake, but there were many situations where, and the Dolphin players saw this, he had happy feet, and stepped up into trouble when he should have stayed put. Also, and he admitted this, he wasn't holding onto the ball with both hands in the pocket, which led to a couple of fumbles. The poor footwork had much to do with his game-long inaccuracy.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post

i'm very impressed with bradford, i think he has a bright future ahead of him.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Based on a very, very limited sample size, Bradford by a mile.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Based on a very, very limited sample size, Bradford by a mile.

Its more like 3 miles.
I would even take Colt Mccoy. He has no weapons at all and has shown talent.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Saratoga

These California QB's are such a risk in the NFL. I'm suprised there is not a lot of talk about it. They play their entire college career and for some high school in picture perfect weather. Come November on the east coast they are unable to handle the elements.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ View Post
Matt Cassel is squarely not the 5th best Quarterback in the NFL overall or even this year for that matter. Hell, I wouldn't even rate him in the top 15 in all honesty. Pretty much anyone of the Quarterbacks who I would rate in the Top 15 can do what Cassel did this year. This is how I would rate your Starters/QB groups from 1-32 based on some of this year as well as where the QBs are with regards to their careers, aka Carson Palmer is done, etc.

1. Brady, NE
2. Vick, PHI
3. Rivers, SD
4. Rodgers, GB
5. Brees, NO
6. Roethlisberger, PIT
7. Ryan, ATL
8. P. Manning, IND
9. Romo, DAL
10. Schaub, HOU
11. Flacco, BAL
12. E. Manning, NYG
13. Bradford, STL
14. Freeman, TB
15. Fitzpatrick, BUF
16. Cassel, KC
17. Cutler, CHI
18. Garrard, JAC
19. Orton, DEN
20. Stafford, DET
21. Sanchez, NYJ
22. McNabb, WAS
23. Hasselbeck, SEA
24. Campbell, OAK
25. Palmer, CIN
26. MIN QBs/Favre/Jackson
27. TEN QBs/Collins/Young
28. Henne, MIA
29. CLE QBs/McCoy/Delhomme
30. SF QBs/T. Smith/A. Smith
31. ARI QBs/Anderson/Skelton
32. CAR QBs/Clausen/Moore

This is the most pathetic list/thing I have ever witnessed. I was talking this year, and you go and put Tony Romo in your top 10? WTF?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The irony of asking who you'd take if you had to win one game then saying you'd choose a QB whose career win percentage is .400 is not lost on me.

Sanchez played poorly yesterday, and the week before. I've never disputed that. But you're dealing with a QB who just made his 28th regular season start and suddenly determining that he has no future in the NFL. Gone are the memories of the game he played against NE in Week 2 or the comeback wins against Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston.

You can't make proclamations on who's good or who's bad by QB ratings and raw stats. I understand you're a Lions fan but I can't see how more than 5-6 GMs in the NFL would take Stafford right now. The guy could separate his shoulder sneezing.

How about your boy Matt Ice last night?
Schaub... The peoples QB.