Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Jerome Park

Default Churchill Downs Sues DRF for Oaks/Derby bet

"Churchill Downs Inc. is suing the Daily Racing Form saying the trade publication's online betting site accepted bets on Kentucky Derby and Oaks days without permission.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in Jefferson Circuit Court, Louisville-based Churchill seeks a court order blocking the Form's DRF Bets online wagering site from taking bets on any Churchill-owned track."

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...bets/27581981/
Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
"Churchill Downs Inc. is suing the Daily Racing Form saying the trade publication's online betting site accepted bets on Kentucky Derby and Oaks days without permission.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in Jefferson Circuit Court, Louisville-based Churchill seeks a court order blocking the Form's DRF Bets online wagering site from taking bets on any Churchill-owned track."

http://www.courier-journal.com/story...bets/27581981/
Well that's something we don't have to worry about, right Laura?....
Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

*wanking motion*

After the takeout hike was such a rousing success, I guess they want to try another avenue to reduce handle.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Well that's something we don't have to worry about, right Laura?....
True
Old 05-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Havre de Grace

While neither of the entities involved are going to win popularity contests in the racing world, if it is indeed true that DRF Bets took wagers on the Derby and Oaks without a contract in place, then they are 1000000% wrong and should pay damages beyond the host fees they stiffed CD for.

CD increases their host fee on Oaks/Derby days because of the premium content (as do Pimlico and NYRA on Preakness/Belmont days). But, the suit makes it seem as if they have no contract with CDSN period, which means that DRF Bets cannot offer AP, FG, OP, IND, CD and a few other tracks. Can any DRF Bets customers on the board let us know if that's true?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Keeneland

Does twinspires take GP, SA etc.? And if so do they have a contract?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
Does twinspires take GP, SA etc.? And if so do they have a contract?
Yes and yes.

The sticking point here with this issue is that CDI (presumably) does not have a contract with DRF Bets.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 AM
Havre de Grace

I was going to open a drf account, but didn't because they said they did not offer CDI tracks or Oaklawn.

Last edited by cal828 : 05-21-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
While neither of the entities involved are going to win popularity contests in the racing world, if it is indeed true that DRF Bets took wagers on the Derby and Oaks without a contract in place, then they are 1000000% wrong and should pay damages beyond the host fees they stiffed CD for.

CD increases their host fee on Oaks/Derby days because of the premium content (as do Pimlico and NYRA on Preakness/Belmont days). But, the suit makes it seem as if they have no contract with CDSN period, which means that DRF Bets cannot offer AP, FG, OP, IND, CD and a few other tracks. Can any DRF Bets customers on the board let us know if that's true?
They do not take any CDI tracks. I bet on a couple races Derby day and one or two the day before. I only use DRF Bets. On that day and the day before when I logged in, the screen said Xpressbets not DRF Bets. I believe Xpressbets took my bets that day, not DRF Bets. If this is deemed illegal, then I would appreciate CDI returning the money I bet those days as they should not benefit from it either. I would not have bet the Derby had Xpressbets not been taking my bets that day.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Lincoln Fields

If someone who is more familiar with this could please explain, DRF Bets says that all its bets go through xpressbet, and that (quoting from the FAQ) "The XpressBet® legal entity, XpressBet, LLC is responsible for obtaining all licensing, maintaining compliance and contracting." So if Xpressbet has a contract with CDI, and I assume that they do, then doesn't DRF Bets have one as well if they use the Xpressbet platform?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Are we going to ask if anyone from CD bothers to tell the judge this?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger5830 View Post
If someone who is more familiar with this could please explain, DRF Bets says that all its bets go through xpressbet, and that (quoting from the FAQ) "The XpressBet® legal entity, XpressBet, LLC is responsible for obtaining all licensing, maintaining compliance and contracting." So if Xpressbet has a contract with CDI, and I assume that they do, then doesn't DRF Bets have one as well if they use the Xpressbet platform?
never assume, and when lawyers are involved...i'm out.