Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
What a difference a few days makes. I understand getting Derby fever and being in the race will be huge for these connections.

But when you realize you are most likely hindering the horses future growth by running in an impossible spot, is it really worth it? Is it that exciting watching your horse lead the race for a half mile and then finish 20th beaten a pole?
You're absolutely right. But it's the one race where everyone says "**** it" if they got the graded earnings. Let's just hope they shelf him until July if he doesn't do well. (in regard to Trinniberg)
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Flemington

Isn't He Clever was transferred to Asmussen.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
What a difference a few days makes. I understand getting Derby fever and being in the race will be huge for these connections.

But when you realize you are most likely hindering the horses future growth by running in an impossible spot, is it really worth it? Is it that exciting watching your horse lead the race for a half mile and then finish 20th beaten a pole?
The article on BH taps into the mindset a bit. It's the Derby... hard to say no when you have a shot. He knows he has a fast sprinter, and he's going to try and see how far he goes.

I think I would have a hard time passing the race too.

From the article...

Quote:
“We’ll know after the first half-mile what the result will be,” Parbhoo said, indicating how important the early stages of the Derby will prove for his colt. “We’ll know, the jockey will know, and the rest of the field will know. I’m not worried about anyone else in the race if my horse gets in front.”

And while pre-race strategy for the Derby would seem to suggest that Parbhoo will have Trinniberg on the lead, the owner has begun working his horse in company in hopes of teaching the colt to be comfortable around and behind other horses.

“We’ve been taking him to the track with a couple other horses from our barn,” Parbhoo said. “And we keep him behind those horses before letting him run. And he doesn’t even budge. We put a horse right next to him, and it doesn’t bother him a bit. But that comes with maturity. He used to be a little jumpy; he was a little high-strung. But very little seems to bother him anymore.

“Look, I’m just like everybody else in the race. I have a real nice horse with four legs that can run. We’re no different from any of the others. And it’s a once in a lifetime dream to run in the Derby.”
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...kely-for-derby
Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
The article on BH taps into the mindset a bit. It's the Derby... hard to say no when you have a shot. He knows he has a fast sprinter, and he's going to try and see how far he goes.

I think I would have a hard time passing the race too.
I hear ya, I really do, but lets be honest for a second. The horse has never been farther than 7 furlongs. He has no shot and will be lucky to not finish 20th.

I get all of the chance in a lifetime stuff. I'm more of a big picture guy. Maybe I'm being unrealistic because I'm not an owner, but it just seems like a move that does not have the horses best interest in mind.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I hear ya, I really do, but lets be honest for a second. The horse has never been farther than 7 furlongs. He has no shot and will be lucky to not finish 20th.

I get all of the chance in a lifetime stuff. I'm more of a big picture guy. Maybe I'm being unrealistic because I'm not an owner, but it just seems like a move that does not have the horses best interest in mind.
Right, I totally agree. Unfortunately, every year there are horses in the race where the connections don't have the best interest of the horse in mind. But like you said, it's easy for us to play Monday QB when we don't own the horse.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Fairgrounds

It's because it's the one race where every owner feels if they got a chance to run in it, they do. I'd like to think that most owners when presented with other opportunities would come to their senses and not subject their horses to this race when they don't have a chance in hell. But this race makes everyone think crazy. And the way the race has been wide-open in recent years with longshots winning, its tough to blame them for having a shred of hope. I'm pretty sure this year will finally buck that trend, but tough to blame any owner for not trying. As I said, hopefully his connections rest him until July if he gets his butt kicked.

But seriously DaHoss, of course you're right. I'm trying to think- beside Lost in the Fog off the top of my head, what 3 year-old contender that probably would've had enough graded money was taken off the trail because he wasn't good enough or probably couldn't go the distance? I mean taken off for reasons beside injury?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Fairgrounds

http://www.drf.com/news/2012-kentuck...possible-derby

Official article on Isn't he Clever. Owner J. Kirk Robison quoted as saying- “The Derby is still under consideration, but I’ve always said I would never enter the Derby if I didn’t think the horse would be competitive.”

But I don't think you transfer him to Asmussen and base him at Churchill to not run him if you got a chance. If there are no defections, he'll probably show up in the Preakness.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post

But seriously DaHoss, of course you're right. I'm trying to think- beside Lost in the Fog off the top of my head, what 3 year-old contender that probably would've had enough graded money was taken off the trail because he wasn't good enough or probably couldn't go the distance? I mean taken off for reasons beside injury?
It's Sunday night and my brain is fried from a long week so I can't think right now.

The difference between this and your usual hopeless Derby entrant is the never going two turn thing, which is kind of important. Honestly, I never even thought Trinniberg was on the trail. And I can't remember the last Bay Shore winner being considered for the Derby, but I'm sure it's happened.

But I get your and Travis's point.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

The thing that you touched upon already, that makes this "surprise" entry particularly annoying, is that the trainer dude had spewed all the "I'm going to do the right thing by the horse" BS (that people on here lauded him for) only a week ago, and, predictably, has now gone back on his proclamation. Just like Bob Baffert with The Factor and Pete Miller with Comma To The Top last year.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Fairgrounds

he is the owner and trainer right? If he's the owner, then yeah, why all the BS in the first place?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
he is the owner and trainer right? If he's the owner, then yeah, why all the BS in the first place?
Probably because he is full of BS.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
The thing that you touched upon already, that makes this "surprise" entry particularly annoying, is that the trainer dude had spewed all the "I'm going to do the right thing by the horse" BS (that people on here lauded him for) only a week ago, and, predictably, has now gone back on his proclamation. Just like Bob Baffert with The Factor and Pete Miller with Comma To The Top last year.
The Factor didn't enter the Derby last year. Maybe you're thinking of Conveyance from 2 years ago?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Flemington

There was an article where he said that the defection of Secret Circle, and therefore less speed in the race (his words not mine) helped make the decision...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

At least Conveyance had run respectably going two turns (one of which was a second place to Endorsement, my 2010 early Derby pick was on the shelf for 20 months following the 2010 Sunland Derby).
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Trinniberg won't be the worst horse ever to enter into The Derby. The most bizarre trail? Most likely. Dreaming owners have done this before with horses that were terrible at one or two turns and it won't be the last time. These owners have no guarantee they will ever have an opportunity again and decide why the hell not. What doesn't help matters also is when you have recent longshots like Giacomo ,Mine That Bird and a non dirt winner like Animal Kingdom winning at big odds which feeds into that dream.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloWishingwell View Post
[i]Trinniberg won't be the worst horse ever to enter into The Derby. The most bizarre trail? Most likely. Dreaming owners have done this before with horses that were terrible at one or two turns and it won't be the last time. These owners have no guarantee they will ever have an opportunity again and decide why the hell not.
The rumors I've been hearing is that Trinniberg was just sold for over a million dollars ... Parboo to keep a percentage and stay on as trainer.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
There was an article where he said that the defection of Secret Circle, and therefore less speed in the race (his words not mine) helped make the decision...
i saw that too. but does he really think that with SC out, he'll be alone out front? that completely ignores bodemeisters wire to wire win over SC last out for starters.

i just think it's a shame they're going to take a horse who has never gone 2 turns and let him try it for the first time in the ky derby.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i saw that too. but does he really think that with SC out, he'll be alone out front? that completely ignores bodemeisters wire to wire win over SC last out for starters.

i just think it's a shame they're going to take a horse who has never gone 2 turns and let him try it for the first time in the ky derby.
and he'll counter about the recent longshots that won and that we're all trying this distance for the first time. Anytihng to justify his decision. Honestly I cant walk in their shoes but if I was a small time owner I would be tempted to try as well since there is no guarantee of this opportunity again.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

He's naturally way faster than Bodemeister and Hansen ... not even close. Elite six furlong sprint speed VS route speed.

If the rumors I'm hearing (off the record from a jock agent) are true -- he's probably only running because a strong majority interest in him was just sold.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
He's naturally way faster than Bodemeister and Hansen ... not even close. Elite six furlong sprint speed VS route speed.

If the rumors I'm hearing (off the record from a jock agent) are true -- he's probably only running because a strong majority interest in him was just sold.
Any chance he was bought by Godolphin to use as a rabbit for Alpha?