Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Default bcs games

nick saban had an interesting point the other day.

winner of the sec championship is going to the title game. the loser won't get a bcs bid, but will drop below fla. why? why does florida get to benefit by losing one game, not winning the east, and then moving ahead of the sec #2? in the gold medal games in olympics, the team who loses gets the silver-not the bronze.
of course, it's ironic that nicky is the one mentioning it. he benefitted from the same screwy system last year, that saw his team on the outside looking on on sec championship day, but still get to the title game.

as for the bcs bowls....whoever set these up should be whipped. teams play their tails off, and get left out because of automatic bowls for some conferences. so top ten teams will go to lesser bowls, and some crappy teams will get the good ones. but we all know why. it's not for anything other than money, so that a school gets in and gets the money to share with its fellow conference members. whacky stuff.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
nick saban had an interesting point the other day.

winner of the sec championship is going to the title game. the loser won't get a bcs bid, but will drop below fla. why? why does florida get to benefit by losing one game, not winning the east, and then moving ahead of the sec #2? in the gold medal games in olympics, the team who loses gets the silver-not the bronze.
of course, it's ironic that nicky is the one mentioning it. he benefitted from the same screwy system last year, that saw his team on the outside looking on on sec championship day, but still get to the title game.

as for the bcs bowls....whoever set these up should be whipped. teams play their tails off, and get left out because of automatic bowls for some conferences. so top ten teams will go to lesser bowls, and some crappy teams will get the good ones. but we all know why. it's not for anything other than money, so that a school gets in and gets the money to share with its fellow conference members. whacky stuff.
What would be so wrong about the SEC Champ game loser (who will have 2 conf losses) not getting in while a 1-loss Fla does? I understand UGA fans may b.itch about having beaten Fla, but they were extraordinarily fortunate to win that game.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
What would be so wrong about the SEC Champ game loser (who will have 2 conf losses) not getting in while a 1-loss Fla does? I understand UGA fans may b.itch about having beaten Fla, but they were extraordinarily fortunate to win that game.
Because the team they beat to play in the championship (extra) game moves ahead of them by NOT playing? It doesnt matter if GA was fortunate to beat FL because the system only penalizes losses.

The problem is the SEC championship game (and ACC and Pac 12, etc) is a farce that is created soley for a paycheck for the conference. It has almost nothing to do with the BCS which is supposedly the way that the national championship is determined. Last year Alabama which didnt even play in the conference championship game and yet still played for the Nat'l championship and won Nat'l Championship.

College football has an imperfect system mostly because of greed. It isnt that different than racing but they do a better job of hiding it.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Because the team they beat to play in the championship (extra) game moves ahead of them by NOT playing? It doesnt matter if GA was fortunate to beat FL because the system only penalizes losses.

The problem is the SEC championship game (and ACC and Pac 12, etc) is a farce that is created soley for a paycheck for the conference. It has almost nothing to do with the BCS which is supposedly the way that the national championship is determined. Last year Alabama which didnt even play in the conference championship game and yet still played for the Nat'l championship and won Nat'l Championship.

College football has an imperfect system mostly because of greed. It isnt that different than racing but they do a better job of hiding it.
exactly!
fla doesn't get to play for the conference, didn't win their division, so they're going to get a better bowl. how does that make sense? the division east and west winners should be sec #'s 1 and 2. sec #1 goes to the title, so sec #2 gets the sugar. a runner up shouldn't be able to leapfrog the division winner who played for the conference championship. the loser tomorrow should get the sugar, not florida. if they didn't have a championship game, ga or ala would get the sugar bowl. so let's penalize one of the two because there's a game?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Santa Anita

My favorite this year is a team that went 4-4 in a pretty weak big 10 this year could make the BCS. I'd say Wisconsin has a 50-50 shot to beat Nebraska. I find it all a joke. AFter a full season of football it's obvious who deserves the BCS bid in the probation laden Big 10...it's Nebraska. Thankfully Notre Dame did save the BCS from a duplicate situation this year with the SEC champ playing Florida for the title. I'll watch the championship game this year, I didn't last year. Had no interest for me. I understand the SEC is the best conference in football, but the title game last year was meaningless.

Until the NCAA completely ends it, the BCS, bowl system etc, they are hypocritical beyond comprehension with their money whoring. Get rid of conference championship games, end the seaon Thanksgiving weekend, and have a 16 team playoff and have the championship game at a warm weather neutal site. The end. It seems to work at division 1-AA, 2, and 3 just fine. They have even expanded beyond 16 teams I think with higher seeds getting first round byes. It would work and everyone knows it would work.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
My favorite this year is a team that went 4-4 in a pretty weak big 10 this year could make the BCS. I'd say Wisconsin has a 50-50 shot to beat Nebraska. I find it all a joke. AFter a full season of football it's obvious who deserves the BCS bid in the probation laden Big 10...it's Nebraska. Thankfully Notre Dame did save the BCS from a duplicate situation this year with the SEC champ playing Florida for the title. I'll watch the championship game this year, I didn't last year. Had no interest for me. I understand the SEC is the best conference in football, but the title game last year was meaningless.

Until the NCAA completely ends it, the BCS, bowl system etc, they are hypocritical beyond comprehension with their money whoring. Get rid of conference championship games, end the seaon Thanksgiving weekend, and have a 16 team playoff and have the championship game at a warm weather neutal site. The end. It seems to work at division 1-AA, 2, and 3 just fine. They have even expanded beyond 16 teams I think with higher seeds getting first round byes. It would work and everyone knows it would work.
sure it would work.

it's the money. all about the money. for many of these schools, the football program funds the rest of their sports. maryland for example cut 8-9 sports in the past year, they didn't have the funds.

playoffs work for the smaller schools because they don't have a lucrative bowl system already in place. you can bet your behind if fbs finds a way for playoffs to pay what bowls do, they'll change. until then, forget it.
they made the deals to take conference champs to keep money going to more schools. if you go by top ten alone, you'll have sec taking home the bulk of the cash. in the current system, you have many schools sharing the tv wealth. change to playoffs, and that will all go away. then only a few schools would have the funds, and the others would disappear.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Ocala Mike

Default bcs games

Muschamp had the right take on this earlier in the week. When asked to comment on Sabin's bemoaning the fact that the loser of the 'Bama/GA game will not go the Sugar Bowl, he simply offered to take the Tide's place against GA for the title game.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Dee Tee Stables

"With Northern Illinois, Louisville and Wisconsin all earning BCS bowls, it marks the first time in the BCS era (since 1999) that three teams ranked lower than No. 15 earned a BCS bowl berth."

the rule that created the above illustrates perfectly why there will not be a playoff. conferences have to be assured a spot so as to provide funds to schools. this is why schools jockey to get into certain conferences, so they can share the wealth. it's why notre dame, other than football, joined a conference. and only notre dame has enough backing to forego joining a conference in football. so that should tell you just how much money is flowing into that school.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Muschamp had the right take on this earlier in the week. When asked to comment on Sabin's bemoaning the fact that the loser of the 'Bama/GA game will not go the Sugar Bowl, he simply offered to take the Tide's place against GA for the title game.

always very easy to talk trash when it's hypothetical.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
always very easy to talk trash when it's hypothetical.
talk trash? he was responding to trash.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
sure it would work.

it's the money. all about the money. for many of these schools, the football program funds the rest of their sports. maryland for example cut 8-9 sports in the past year, they didn't have the funds.

playoffs work for the smaller schools because they don't have a lucrative bowl system already in place. you can bet your behind if fbs finds a way for playoffs to pay what bowls do, they'll change. until then, forget it.
they made the deals to take conference champs to keep money going to more schools. if you go by top ten alone, you'll have sec taking home the bulk of the cash. in the current system, you have many schools sharing the tv wealth. change to playoffs, and that will all go away. then only a few schools would have the funds, and the others would disappear.
Quote:
"With Northern Illinois, Louisville and Wisconsin all earning BCS bowls, it marks the first time in the BCS era (since 1999) that three teams ranked lower than No. 15 earned a BCS bowl berth."

the rule that created the above illustrates perfectly why there will not be a playoff. conferences have to be assured a spot so as to provide funds to schools. this is why schools jockey to get into certain conferences, so they can share the wealth. it's why notre dame, other than football, joined a conference. and only notre dame has enough backing to forego joining a conference in football. so that should tell you just how much money is flowing into that school.
I'm sure Northern Illinois is going to lose money by going to the Orange Bowl. See UConn's Fiesta Bowl trip 2 years ago, and UConn is in the Big East.

Currently the rule for Notre Dame is that they have to be in the top 8 in the BCS to go to a BCS bowl game, that is actually tougher for them to show than a non-BCS qualifying with a Top 16 rank (thanks to the weak BCS conference of the Big East).

Now this may had changed with Notre Dame's pact with the ACC. Notre Dame could be the ACC representative still for the Orange Bowl where they would have to share all Orange Bowl revenue with the ACC. They also get the luxury of being protected on being an ACC rep for an ACC contracted bowl. Again they would have to share revenue with the ACC. Now if they qualified in the future and ended up going to a different BCS Bowl, then all revenue goes to Notre Dame themselves. This of course can be renegotiated in the future when and if Notre Dame football join the conference. They are also subject to the ridiculous $50 million exit fee even without being fully in the ACC conference.

On a side note, Notre Dame football will not share its NBC contract, and will not receive any revenue from the ACC for its contract with ESPN. I doubt this will ever change unless Notre Dame football joins the conference or may possibly WNDU becomes an ABC affiliate when Notre Dame football's TV contract comes up in 2015. Not saying that it would happen but its a possibility. Then I would a assume the ACC would renegotiate with ESPN with the help from Notre Dame.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
I'm sure Northern Illinois is going to lose money by going to the Orange Bowl. See UConn's Fiesta Bowl trip 2 years ago, and UConn is in the Big East.

Currently the rule for Notre Dame is that they have to be in the top 8 in the BCS to go to a BCS bowl game, that is actually tougher for them to show than a non-BCS qualifying with a Top 16 rank (thanks to the weak BCS conference of the Big East).

Now this may had changed with Notre Dame's pact with the ACC. Notre Dame could be the ACC representative still for the Orange Bowl where they would have to share all Orange Bowl revenue with the ACC. They also get the luxury of being protected on being an ACC rep for an ACC contracted bowl. Again they would have to share revenue with the ACC. Now if they qualified in the future and ended up going to a different BCS Bowl, then all revenue goes to Notre Dame themselves. This of course can be renegotiated in the future when and if Notre Dame football join the conference. They are also subject to the ridiculous $50 million exit fee even without being fully in the ACC conference.

On a side note, Notre Dame football will not share its NBC contract, and will not receive any revenue from the ACC for its contract with ESPN. I doubt this will ever change unless Notre Dame football joins the conference or may possibly WNDU becomes an ABC affiliate when Notre Dame football's TV contract comes up in 2015. Not saying that it would happen but its a possibility. Then I would a assume the ACC would renegotiate with ESPN with the help from Notre Dame.
i don't know that a team would lose money by going to a bcs bowl. it's an absurdity to me that they have 12 vs 15 in a bcs bowl to begin with. but they made rules about conferences and auto bids, and no more than one in a bcs from a conference (unless one goes to the title game) to keep the money going to more pots/conferences. it's too bad. they don't want all that tv money going to the sec (for example) but want to redistribute revenue to all conferences, which is what causes farcical match-ups like the orange bowl this year.
it's too bad. but what are you going to do?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Sunshine Park

Default My favorite college team...

...is any who plays Notre Dame
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
i don't know that a team would lose money by going to a bcs bowl. it's an absurdity to me that they have 12 vs 15 in a bcs bowl to begin with. but they made rules about conferences and auto bids, and no more than one in a bcs from a conference (unless one goes to the title game) to keep the money going to more pots/conferences. it's too bad. they don't want all that tv money going to the sec (for example) but want to redistribute revenue to all conferences, which is what causes farcical match-ups like the orange bowl this year.
it's too bad. but what are you going to do?
Here's one article on UConn's Fiesta Bowl's experience

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/R...wl-1038914.php

I'm sure Northern Illinois will have the same experience. Hey maybe the Notre Dame and Alabama fans could make a vacation out of it and help out by buying tickets from Northern Illinois.

Price gouging for these bowl games doesn't help for anybody either, fan or school.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Oriental Park

I saw an article yesterday where an anonymous Notre Dame alumnus will pay half of every student ticket purchased. A great gesture and very cool for the students since face value is $300.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

I'm sure Northern Illinois will have the same experience. Hey maybe the Notre Dame and Alabama fans could make a vacation out of it and help out by buying tickets from Northern Illinois.

Price gouging for these bowl games doesn't help for anybody either, fan or school.
like i said:

"the university foresees residual benefits from the Huskies playing in the Fiesta Bowl, from recruiting, admissions, ticket sales and donations, Enright said.

The blow from the money lost on the Fiesta Bowl will be cushioned by the $3.8 million UConn will receive from the Big East, probably in late spring. Each football-playing school in the league will receive that amount as its cut from bowl and television revenue."

between exposure and their other benefits they mentioned and the cut from tv, they did just fine. and so did all the other schools in that conference, who get their share from the revenue. those shares are exactly why you have acc and others with guaranteed bcs bowl bids-it's so they get a cut whether they have a good team or not, and each school in that conference gets a portion.

i wonder if all the money that the big east receives is paid out in full to the schools. if not, what do they do with whatever share they keep?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
like i said:

"the university foresees residual benefits from the Huskies playing in the Fiesta Bowl, from recruiting, admissions, ticket sales and donations, Enright said.

The blow from the money lost on the Fiesta Bowl will be cushioned by the $3.8 million UConn will receive from the Big East, probably in late spring. Each football-playing school in the league will receive that amount as its cut from bowl and television revenue."

between exposure and their other benefits they mentioned and the cut from tv, they did just fine. and so did all the other schools in that conference, who get their share from the revenue. those shares are exactly why you have acc and others with guaranteed bcs bowl bids-it's so they get a cut whether they have a good team or not, and each school in that conference gets a portion.

i wonder if all the money that the big east receives is paid out in full to the schools. if not, what do they do with whatever share they keep?
The idea that the BCS is more lucratitive than a playoff system is just not correct. The conferences and teams would get far more money by eliminating the bowls and keeping the money for themselves. However the presidents of the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 dont want to be controlled by the NCAA (the BCS is a seperate entity from the NCAA) and are willing to tie themselves to this bastardized system where third parties (bowls) are getting a huge share. Lets not kid ourselves that the bowls arent siphoning off cash, benefits to college administrators, athletic directors, etc.

Dan Wetzel I think of Yahoo.com did a great series of articles on this a year or so ago. The NCAA just signed a 14 year, 10.8 billion dollar deal to cover the NCAA basketball tournament. What do you think a footbll tournament could bring in? Considering that college football ratings dwarf basketball ratings you could make case that a playoff might bring in 1 billion a YEAR! Please explain how that isnt more than what they are already getting? Oh yeah the athletic directors wont get their swag, the presidents wont call the shots and in the end the slush funds wont be available anymore.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...big-moneymaker

Because the BCS has sold out to the bowls and has a limited playoff system the number that ESPN paid seems to be a lot less than what was thought to be the going rate

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...970790516.html
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...ff-system.html
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Sha Tin

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...committee.html
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about this article.