Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
I would care about the streak if I were her connections wouldnt you ? Its important and its good for racing 25k people showed up to the hood with their signs to cheer for her and see her do her thing. Yeah maybe they should have ventured out and did something else but at this stage in the game its a little late for that. You have something with stating the older male horse division isnt much to write home about and Z will most likely go against them in Kentucky. I would have to say that the last 4 years have been a no better time to be Zenyatta and her connections because other than her there are no real super stars even if her star is mostly shining on the west coast.
Would I care about the streak? I doubt that there would be a streak as I most assuredly would have challenged her by running in races that mean something and perhaps may have been defeated. However I also might have won races like the Big Cap or Whitney or Woodward or JC Gold Cup or Foster or Arlington Million or Beverly D or Diana or Hollywood Gold Cup or Pacific Classic or Goodwood or something like that. I guarantee that I wouldn't have won either the East coast or West Coast version of the Lady's Secret this year.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Would I care about the streak? I doubt that there would be a streak as I most assuredly would have challenged her by running in races that mean something and perhaps may have been defeated. However I also might have won races like the Big Cap or Whitney or Woodward or JC Gold Cup or Foster or Arlington Million or Beverly D or Diana or Hollywood Gold Cup or Pacific Classic or Goodwood or something like that. I guarantee that I wouldn't have won either the East coast or West Coast version of the Lady's Secret this year.
So do you think 20 years from RA is going to have a greater legacy than Zenyatta because she did take on and win such demanding races for a filly?

I think I would take that bet if you wanted it.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
people talk about great horses by referencing great moments. affirmed and his rivalry with alydar, dr fager detesting turf but refusing to lose, personal ensign getting up in the last stride to beat winning colors, secretariat beating the field and the clock in the classics....john henry is immortalized in bronze with the bart. one of the greatest endings ever. i dont know if affirmed ever had a big win streak, but i know he was great. it appears at this point zenyattas biggest moment is tying peppers pride. tis a shame.
You should have been at the BC last year - whether you think Zenyatta beat the best or the worst...the crowd was electric and the race was a thrill to behold.

I would say it ranked as a "biggest moment" for those that attended.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
So do you think 20 years from RA is going to have a greater legacy than Zenyatta because she did take on and win such demanding races for a filly?

If Zenyatta bombs in the Classic? Probably, at least on the East Coast.

Of course the point I could make is that neither will have much of a lasting legacy anyway. Just as Smarty Jones, Big Brown and Curlin have all been pretty much forgotten and it has only been a few years for them. Seriously it was only 2 years ago and some of the geniuses (many are now Zen-tards) were claiming that Curlin was an all time, top 10 great. THAT issue doesn't crop up much any longer.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Not with Jerry and Ann Moss, they really dont like to ship around that much, only reason I know this is because Dick used to train for them. They would ship for BC races and such but they were never interested in having their horses travel that much.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
If Zenyatta bombs in the Classic? Probably, at least on the East Coast.

Of course the point I could make is that neither will have much of a lasting legacy anyway. Just as Smarty Jones, Big Brown and Curlin have all been pretty much forgotten and it has only been a few years for them. Seriously it was only 2 years ago and some of the geniuses (many are now Zen-tards) were claiming that Curlin was an all time, top 10 great. THAT issue doesn't crop up much any longer.
Screw you! Curlin is the bestest horse ever.

You know, if I were Moss, I'd send Z to be bred to Curlin. That way if her foal was better than RA's, he could brag.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post

You know, if I were Moss, I'd send Z to be bred to Curlin. That way if her foal was better than RA's, he could brag.
Obviously...they will never meet.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
You should have been at the BC last year - whether you think Zenyatta beat the best or the worst...the crowd was electric and the race was a thrill to behold.

I would say it ranked as a "biggest moment" for those that attended.
The exact same analysis could be applied to Rachel's Woodward.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Not with Jerry and Ann Moss, they really dont like to ship around that much, only reason I know this is because Dick used to train for them. They would ship for BC races and such but they were never interested in having their horses travel that much.
Which is completely their prerogative. But in not doing so they open themselves up to criticism which is IMO, deserved. They may have some aversion to shipping but they (and the 'fans' of the horse) should understand that in doing so they have looked like they are ducking competition. If they had run in the Pacific Classic, Hollywood Gold Cup or Goodwood, the fear of shipping excuse wouldn't have looked so lame.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

I thought her greatness was going to carry over to her stud career...
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I thought her greatness was going to carry over to her stud career...
That just shows how dumb you Zenyatta detractors are.

Zenyatta is a mare and cannot have a stud career!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

UHOH! I hope those DEE-TEE fillies and mares don't read this!
Maybe they should give Jess a call.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Hey she can do anything that she wants!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Hey she can do anything that she wants!
Russian judges have been called.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post

i'm pretty sure it was eng that wrote he expects another mare to win the bcc before another filly wins the preakness, haskell and woodward. i'm thinking that's true.

it's funny....when zenyatta is the greatest folks start posting, and get some negative feedback, they bring up who rachel beat. but no one is saying rachel is an all-time great, are they? not that i know of. so, if you can't even settle if zenyatta is better than rachel, how can anyone say where she fits historically?

i think it's safe to say, in a ballpark figure way, that 1980 divides the end of the golden age of racing from the modern day. any top ten list of all time best thoroughbreds would include spectacular bid. any horse since then? most likely not.
you have the triumvirate of man o war, secretariat and citation. that leaves seven. after that, others get put in the mix for a variety of reasons, but you really have to be special to be in the top tier, maybe even top 20. could someone put zenyatta there? no, i don't think so.

so, now greatness gets watered down when you start adding more and more to the list...suddenly, great isn't quite so great.
so, let's say you limit it to past 1980...where does she fit? another round of arguing would begin. but, much of the current crowd arguing the point doesn't have much history to go by, which is why they get grief when they suggest a mare with one lifetime open win to her credit is an all-time great. are we talking all-time, all-time...or just recent memory all-time great?
zenyatta winning the bc was special, because she was the first distaffer to manage it. she's special because she's undefeated. but all-time, ahead of ruffian great? dr. fager, damascus, round table great? john henry? i don't think so.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
that's their right. but to then cry foul when their tactics bite them in the butt is a bit much. you can't proclaim a horse is good, and have everyone agree. that's what races are for. even if they wished to stay home, they could have found more challenges, couldn't they? most likely, yes.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Honestly Honu is one of the few CA people that at least offers something different than the usual fare.

I'm a Californian.

I have my ten year chip.

I've also been a Floridian, a Chicagoan, and an Ohioan.

Thankfully all those places have thoroughbred horse racing.

And more thankfully, I have been a South Carolinian for 20 years along the way.

I think I know a bit about horse race gambling. I have my "California soft side," but my Southern legacy is to own and shoot guns.

I am a fan of Zenyatta.

And I hate stereotyping. Except that I think most Northeasterners are pseudo "open minded," and quick to reach conclusions with minimal observation, research and analysis.

Anyone here who thought Zenyatta was in a walkover last Saturday could have put her in an exacta over the obvious 2nd best horse in the race and doubled their investment.

Anyone do it?

Redboarding allowed here...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I just think it's telling that her last three wins have all been her third straight wins in those specific races. In her 17 lifetime stakes wins, she's appeared in exactly nine different races. The only races she hasn't won twice are the two Breeders Cup races, the El Encino, and the Santa Margarita. That's just so...boring.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
it's funny....when zenyatta is the greatest folks start posting, and get some negative feedback, they bring up who rachel beat. but no one is saying rachel is an all-time great, are they?
In all fairness to the Zenyattards out there, people last year were saying RA is among the greats of all time.

Which was equally as stupid as saying Z is.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Which is completely their prerogative. But in not doing so they open themselves up to criticism which is IMO, deserved. They may have some aversion to shipping but they (and the 'fans' of the horse) should understand that in doing so they have looked like they are ducking competition. If they had run in the Pacific Classic, Hollywood Gold Cup or Goodwood, the fear of shipping excuse wouldn't have looked so lame.
you act like you've never heard of the Rocky Mountains.