Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Woodbine

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...le-seahawks-td
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Randwyck

The NFL released a statement Tuesday confirming that the result of Monday night's controversial Seahawks vs. Packers game will stand.

The statement concedes that Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference, but does not dispute the (erroneous) simultaneous possession ruling. "Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. ... In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. ... Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review. The result of the game is final."
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
The NFL released a statement Tuesday confirming that the result of Monday night's controversial Seahawks vs. Packers game will stand.

The statement concedes that Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference, but does not dispute the (erroneous) simultaneous possession ruling. "Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. ... In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. ... Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review. The result of the game is final."
Umm..that makes it even worse!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Coach Pants

I've heard that 70%+ was wagered on GB.

Of course this is just a bad call...nothing more.

Don't see how the league will recover from this.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
The Curragh

you also have to take into account the owners, this isnt all on Goddell the owners dictate things too so its also up to them
Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Arlington Park

http://www.latimes.com/sports/footba...1808277.column

"Want to know my favorite statistic of Week 3 before Monday? Sixteen of 20 coach's challenges resulted in overturned calls, meaning officials made the wrong decision on 80% of some of the biggest plays. Think about that.

Want to know my second-favorite statistic? When you crunch the numbers, if the NFL gave the locked-out referees everything they wanted, it would cost about $100,000 extra per team per season. That equals about four games' pay for one of a team's lowest-paid players. The owners are watching their sport burn because they won't improve the officials' compensation by about one-fourth the amount they would pay a backup guard? Think about that.

OK, real quick, I've got a third-favorite statistic from last weekend. There were 13 penalty first downs in the game between the Patriots and the Ravens, which is only the most in the history of the NFL."

plaschke is saying this is about $3.2 million. i've also seen the figure $16 million as the difference.

the players contract signed last year was about how the league would divide it's $9 billion in revenue.

and they're arguing over $16 million or less. less than 2/10 of 1% of the available revenue.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Dee Tee Stables

why have instant replay at all? wtf kind of ruling is that?! i thought the whole point of being able to review was so we could keep from having things like this occur.

unbelievable. nfl has zero credibility.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I've heard that 70%+ was wagered on GB.

Of course this is just a bad call...nothing more.

Don't see how the league will recover from this.
saw that over 300 million was in play.

how much of that was goodells money on seattle??
Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
saw that over 300 million was in play.

how much of that was goodells money on seattle??

All in all from all reports from legal and illegal betting worldwide it was around 1 billion dollars.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Sha Tin

Goodell is more likely to get a raise than get canned. He's just the hatchet man for the owners. Jerry Jones walks around with more cash in his pocket than the money difference but that isnt the real hold up IMO. The supposed pension deal is laughable as well. It's that the collective egos of 31 owners is too big to admit "defeat" and the NFL's press release more or less says that they will continue to ignore the disgrace on the field because for the most part the seats have been sold and the TV contract is already signed. Lets not forget that the networks arent at all worried about the controversy and as a matter of fact probably benefit from increased exposure and interest.

The fact is that the owners are almost always in the wrong (at least morally) in sports labor disputes. Billionaires wanting to exert thier authority over "part time" employees? Billionaires wanting to keep salaries "in check" despite them being the ones that cause the salary structure to spiral? Billionaires that have no problem taking the states or counties or cities money and/or sweetheart tax deals to get stadiums and arenas built have no problem shitting on the people who fill those seats, the people who those in the seats come to see or any of the ancillary businesses/employees that are hurt in the process.

I'm guessing that there are some owners that are not happy and this dispute gets settled relatively soon. But it wont be this week because the collective ego of the owners is far too large to look like they caved in to the refs, players, media or fans pressure.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Randwyck

Well I have not heard the following from Captain Hindsight: "Roger Goodell messed up 6 months ago when he did not pull an RRATC (Ronald Reagan Air Traffic Controller) on the ref's collective asses and fired them all outright. That would have given the league just enough time to hire quality replacements, and give them thorough training. Plus maybe a couple extra things like more reviewable plays. Games might still have gone a bit longer & people might have complained some, but nothing like this."

Nor have I heard this: "The amount of $$ may be a pittance to the league, but the regular refs are scumbags as well. They get 150k clams for part-time work, and they are complaining that they don't want extra refs hired as a 'bench' who can replace those who are under-performing. And they are whining about losing their defined benefit pension in favor of a 401k (which has happened to virtually everyone I know), despite getting nice annual raises built into the offer."
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Fast forward to 25 seconds in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpX3fJunp1M
First time I've seen that and about **** my pants when I saw it was in Muskegon at the LC walker arena 5 minutes from my house.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Jerome Park

karma paying Tate back for getting fined for throwing an awesome, legal, manly, NFL type block??

think i saw something about the refs and officials maybe coming to an agreement today.

I thought the refs were great in the eagles / cards game this weekend... but that may be the only well reffed game all year.

One thing annoys me more than the refs... The amount of whining that occurs during NFL games, usually about pass interference no calls.. done by both the players and fans. shut the f up and play football.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i cannot stand it when a play ends, the player gestures repeatedly at the ref, and then the flag comes out after several seconds of fit-throwing.
who's in charge?! ridiculous. since when did the players decide there should be a penalty?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Saratoga

REporting agreement met

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/2...rn-for-week-4/

Damar Hamlin
Old 09-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Bittersweet
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post

This is my favorite thing. There were TWO rulings on the field. One signaled a touchdown and the other signaled an interception.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine