Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
lucky!!!! enjoy the game, hope to the hockey gods we move on to round two!

whats wrong you boys don't get comcast!!!!

F Philly, let's go caps!!!!!

-bt-
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i have dish, as there isn't a cable in sight out here in the boonies. i did tell tony this evening that i was tempted to get directv just for nfl and hockey. that went over well.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
She's good.....for 2008, but Winning Colors.....
Two words...

S I S

C I T Y
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Without much hesitation, Rags to Riches Belmont, Winning Colors 88, Genuine Risk 80, Regret 1915?...go for immortality in a year like this. I still remember thinking Silverbulletday would have roasted that field in 1999 but Baffert sent the wrong filly. Who knows if she would have won, but she sure looked like a champ with the ease in which she took the Oaks. Talk about a push button filly.
Excellent Meeting finished a good 5th in the '99 Derby, closing with a flourish. Silverbulletday was done after a mile in the Belmont.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Churchill Downs

Excellent Meeting was a solid filly, but SBD was spectacular on her days. She won the Oaks at 9f easily when asked. That's as confident of a ride as you ever saw out of Stevens. Also crushed the fillies by 9 L at 10f in the Alabama. She was due for a rest when she went to the Belmont and was used too fast trying to go on the front. IMO, she's right there with Rags and Serena's Song as the best 3yo fillies of the last 15 years or so.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Detroit Race Course

I'd guess the biggest overlay of the day will be on the Derby undercard.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Del Mar

There is always a sprint race on the undercard. Anyone know who is pointing to this race?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Their price in relation to them winning their Derby...

Any guesses?

Big Brown (if he goes off at 4/1 or higher, which I doubt but so many seem to think is possible)

Bob Black Jack (at anything above 25/1, which is likely)

Pyro (if he goes off at 10/1 or higher, which after his performance on the junk is possible)
big brown 4-1 or higher, good luck on that one. i can't bet him even if he wins, which i think he can't. if pyro is anything over 6-1 jump all over it ! classic derby , the horse loses the prep only to come back and win at good odds. want me to start naming all the ones that have done it before. thunder gulch, funnycide, unbridled, giacomo, street sense, manarchos , and thats off the top of my head, in recent memory. didn't secretariat lose the wood , oh yeah he did! since when is a horses form determined by one race , especially when there is no need to win. the last race was a walk in the park on poly crap,i'm hoping he is over 10-1 !

Last edited by johnny pinwheel : 04-22-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
classic derby , the horse loses the prep only to come back and win at good odds. want me to start naming all the ones that have done it before. thunder gulch, funnycide, unbridled, giacomo, street sense, manarchos
Really? By my unofficial count the last 15 or more derby winners finished their final prep 4th or better. Not 10th. Maybe you can blame the poly but derby winners do prep better than that usually.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
big brown 4-1 or higher, good luck on that one. i can't bet him even if he wins, which i think he can't. if pyro is anything over 6-1 jump all over it ! classic derby , the horse loses the prep only to come back and win at good odds. want me to start naming all the ones that have done it before. thunder gulch, funnycide, unbridled, giacomo, street sense, manarchos , and thats off the top of my head, in recent memory. didn't secretariat lose the wood , oh yeah he did! since when is a horses form determined by one race , especially when there is no need to win. the last race was a walk in the park on poly crap,i'm hoping he is over 10-1 !
Big difference in Pyro's awful Blue Grass and Funny Cide and Monarchos' Wood Memorials. Neither of those two won it, but both very respectable and obviously got a lot out of their efforts. Giacomo ran good in the SA Derby, I think it was a hard charging 3rd in a very flukey race where I think Buzzards Bay won. Street Sense ran very well in the Blue Grass losing by a head bob to Dominican in his first try on the junk.

Pryo in one word was awful. I dont think he got much out of it and this places added pressure on the trainer to get him extra fit off just workouts. Not a real good plan.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Big difference in Pyro's awful Blue Grass and Funny Cide and Monarchos' Wood Memorials. Neither of those two won it, but both very respectable and obviously got a lot out of their efforts. Giacomo ran good in the SA Derby, I think it was a hard charging 3rd in a very flukey race where I think Buzzards Bay won. Street Sense ran very well in the Blue Grass losing by a head bob to Dominican in his first try on the junk.

Pryo in one word was awful. I dont think he got much out of it and this places added pressure on the trainer to get him extra fit off just workouts. Not a real good plan.
street sense ran well, he lost to dominican, who he was probably daylight better than at the time. on dirt i think he beat dominican by over 15 lengths. that poly crap is just that crap. the truth is street sense probably ran 10 lengths worse than any other race he ran, that day. i love the defection the price will just go up. he didn't need anything out of that race, but to stay fresh and out of trouble. pyro fired his best race of a layoff as long as he healthy i'm not worried at all. good at 2 better at 3, he loses once and everbodies reading the crap these people write in the paper and form at derby time. i guess hes the highest money earner by "magic" too .
Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay
Really? By my unofficial count the last 15 or more derby winners finished their final prep 4th or better. Not 10th. Maybe you can blame the poly but derby winners do prep better than that usually.
excellent point if poly had been around 15 years or the derby was being run on poly.

or pyro had run a comparably bad race on dirt.

i find it easier to throw out derby history in this circumstance than all the dirt races the horse has run.

Last edited by hi_im_god : 04-22-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Cahokia Downs

Default Overlay

I would consider Z Fortune an overaly at 20/25-1 with a few things to like