Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
scrimshaw

Default Dutrow

I gotta say...Dutrow was making me mad listening to him during JJ's interview. Guy's a jerk, he basically said "I do a lot of little things wrong, I've got a lot of money, people hate me, I make a lot of money doing a lot of little things wrong, I've got a history, I've got a lot of money from training and I need a vacation anyway." Why do people want this kind of person training for them? I guess it's win at all cost.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
scrimshaw

Default more...

And what kind of punishment is it for a guy to get to CHOOSE which days he wants to serve it???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this claiming infraction the one where he claimed a horse from his son or vice versa? And a few other mishaps thrown in for good measure...???
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Del Mar

Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Newmarket

Where's Mike (Or80) when you need him???

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Jman I hear ya, but are you really surprised? It's not like he has ever acted like he needs to follow rules however absurd they may be. Most of the time it's allowed or he gets a meaningless suspension where he is still in control of everything. And honestly he's not the only one, although he might be the boldest of them all. Ass man, Pletcher, Mitchell, Lake, etc. Until these guys are hit where it hurts, in their pocket it will continually be like this.
I'm begining to wonder about the pocket being the way to get them as Dutrow did say he would rather have had a $50,000 fine than the days... personally fines would probally only hurt the little guy... the ones that didn't do it...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM
scrimshaw

Default Naturally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm
Dutrow did say he would rather have had a $50,000 fine than the days...

Well, of course!! If I went out and stole a car today and got caught, I'd rather pay a fine and get it out of the way than go to prison for a few years!!! In my opinion, paying your way out of a predicament is hardly any punishment at all... If they wanted to get Dutrow where it hurts (especially given his track record), they'd take him out of the game for a SUBSTANTIAL length of time. And by substantial I don't mean days or weeks; I mean months or years. I would not be in support of permanant disbarment because I believe people can change. But, a two week suspension is nothing. Kids get suspended from school for 2 weeks for fighting. Trainers that cheat and fail to play by the rules (knowing full well what the rules are) should, IMO, get stiffer suspensions every time they break the rules (blame it on whatever you want... false positives, assistant trainer error, whatever) until eventually they get shown the door for a LONG suspension (all ties to the game cut).

I think until something like this happens, we'll continue to see this blatant disregard for the integrity of the game.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Fairgrounds

Dutrow kind off reminds me of Barry Bonds. They are both @ssholes and have no class.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
Well, of course!! If I went out and stole a car today and got caught, I'd rather pay a fine and get it out of the way than go to prison for a few years!!! In my opinion, paying your way out of a predicament is hardly any punishment at all... If they wanted to get Dutrow where it hurts (especially given his track record), they'd take him out of the game for a SUBSTANTIAL length of time. And by substantial I don't mean days or weeks; I mean months or years. I would not be in support of permanant disbarment because I believe people can change. But, a two week suspension is nothing. Kids get suspended from school for 2 weeks for fighting. Trainers that cheat and fail to play by the rules (knowing full well what the rules are) should, IMO, get stiffer suspensions every time they break the rules (blame it on whatever you want... false positives, assistant trainer error, whatever) until eventually they get shown the door for a LONG suspension (all ties to the game cut).

I think until something like this happens, we'll continue to see this blatant disregard for the integrity of the game.
I know what your saying but I'd rather go to Brazil for 2 weeks! It really does come down to making them cut all ties but it not as easy as it sounds... the biggest most important issue is.. workmen's comp insurance. I'm sure every trainer that gets a suspension still covers his employees while an assist takes over.. now if the ties are cut someone would have to come up with some BIG money to get insurance. Insurance is one of the biggest financial chokers for us .... it's put many out of business! for no employees (meaning I take care of my own horses and use a jockey in the am) I would still have to put out between 5-8 thousand dollars... now add employees... some pay well over 10,000 a MONTH!!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 PM
scrimshaw

I don't know how feasible it is, but why couldn't the various tracks require trainers running horses at their tracks to buy into a "group" workman's comp plan??? There, everyone working for any of the trainers at that track would be covered. And, overall, the insurance might be cheaper because of the whole "group" negotiating rather than many individuals purchasing insurance.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
I don't know how feasible it is, but why couldn't the various tracks require trainers running horses at their tracks to buy into a "group" workman's comp plan??? There, everyone working for any of the trainers at that track would be covered. And, overall, the insurance might be cheaper because of the whole "group" negotiating rather than many individuals purchasing insurance.
Cause that would make sense!!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
scrimshaw

mera,

but I'm not just talking about jockey's. all backstretch workers. Actually, I'm not really talking about jockeys at all since I wouldn't think they'd even be considered an employee of the trainer (since they work for various trainers).

I know about the mismanagement scandals...and taking for personal gain. Is this what you're talking about "education?" That's a mess, true, but obviously that was a lack of oversight...right? If there were sufficient oversight, couldn't it work? Isn't the general idea of an umbrella policy for backstretch workers at least a convincing from the perspective of supporting employees while trainers are serving suspensions??

Last edited by jman5581 : 02-20-2007 at 07:00 PM.