Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Anyone think Invasor actually runs in the BC Classic?

I don't see Invasor running in the Classic. Losing doesn't help his value and they would have to pay a supplemental fee of $750,000 to enter him. Expect a mysterious ailment to appear in the next couple weeks.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Hawthorne

i do. i think the horse of the year is on the line. even 2nd wouldn't embarass him. nice check for 2nd too. skipping the jcgc also gives him a nice excuse. "he needed the prep".
Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I don't see Invasor running in the Classic. Losing doesn't help his value and they would have to pay a supplemental fee of $750,000 to enter him. Expect a mysterious ailment to appear in the next couple weeks.
U must have just read the post I put up when they announced that he was "sick" and would miss the JCGC? His only chance was for both Bernardini and Discreet to lose. I just don't see him there. I would think if they were going to send him, they would have made that one time payment of $150k a long time ago. But they never did.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
U must have just read the post I put up when they announced that he was "sick" and would miss the JCGC? His only chance was for both Bernardini and Discreet to lose. I just don't see him there. I would think if they were going to send him, they would have made that one time payment of $150k a long time ago. But they never did.
He is supposedly recovered from his "sickness" and everyone seems to think it is a foregone conclusion that he will run in the Classic.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Jerome Park

The truth is there is plenty of history in the two brothers running against each other and I expect Invasor to run.

Look, I'm as skeptical as anyone, but too many knowledgable people have told me that the fever story is true, and I think there is little reason to believe Invasor won't run. I certainly hope he does.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
The truth is there is plenty of history in the two brothers running against each other and I expect Invasor to run.

Look, I'm as skeptical as anyone, but too many knowledgable people have told me that the fever story is true, and I think there is little reason to believe Invasor won't run. I certainly hope he does.
I saw Dreamer so I know all about the brothers running against each other.

I'd love to see Invasor in the Classic too but I'm not expecting it.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Fairgrounds

I hope he runs.. but I'm not keeping my hopes up... there's too many others that could beat him, which would make $750,000 not worth it. But I'm hoping...
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr
I hope he runs.. but I'm not keeping my hopes up... there's too many others that could beat him, which would make $750,000 not worth it. But I'm hoping...
It does seem a little fishy that the 150K was not put up (ala Lava) and now it will cost 750K to enter the BCC.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
eurobounce

Maybe we all should read the news a little more. There was a story in bloodhorse this afternoon about Invasor.

Here are some quotes from Kiaran

"He worked really well this morning," McLaughlin said. "I had him out in 1:01 and change. He's doing fine. As long as he doesn't spike another temperature we'll be in good shape."

"McLaughlin says the colt would be pointed to the Classic."

"As long as he's doing well, we're going," McLaughlin said. "It's going to be a very good race. Obviously, Bernardini would have to be at the head of the class right now, but we're battle tested. I wouldn't think that Bernardini would win by five in a waltz over (Invasor) and Lava Man. We respect Bernardini a lot and he's a special horse, but we're not afraid of him.

"We don't like going into the Classic off 13 weeks, but Invasor has not missed any time other than the four days he lost with the fever."
Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Flemington

A better question would be, if he makes it would you back him? It seems like after yesterday everyone's made up their mind as it being a 2 horse race; Bernie & Lava Man
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
A better question would be, if he makes it would you back him? It seems like after yesterday everyone's made up their mind as it being a 2 horse race; Bernie & Lava Man
In my mind it is a one horse race--Bernardini. I don't think Lava Man even comes close to winning this race. I don't think Lava Man is going to go 1 1/4 miles on the lead and hold off Bern and Invasor. I like Lava Man a whole bunch and he is a great story, but when it comes to my money, I need to wager with my head and not my heart.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Lava Man? He's not even on my radar now that Brother Derek exposed how terrible the older horse division out west is.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

As much as I appreciate Lava Man, I don't see it as a two-horse race either. I think that anything other than a Bernardini victory will have to be considered an upset. He's going to be 1/2 or less.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Euro, thanks for the news bit. I want him to run, but I had my doubts like anyone else. Let's just hope some mysterious injury doesn't conveniently come Invasor's way. Even with those reassuring quoites, I'll beielev Invasor is in the gate after the post positions are drawn.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Maybe we all should read the news a little more. There was a story in bloodhorse this afternoon about Invasor.

Here are some quotes from Kiaran

"He worked really well this morning," McLaughlin said. "I had him out in 1:01 and change. He's doing fine. As long as he doesn't spike another temperature we'll be in good shape."

"McLaughlin says the colt would be pointed to the Classic."

"As long as he's doing well, we're going," McLaughlin said. "It's going to be a very good race. Obviously, Bernardini would have to be at the head of the class right now, but we're battle tested. I wouldn't think that Bernardini would win by five in a waltz over (Invasor) and Lava Man. We respect Bernardini a lot and he's a special horse, but we're not afraid of him.

"We don't like going into the Classic off 13 weeks, but Invasor has not missed any time other than the four days he lost with the fever."
None of that addresses the question of why they didn't put up $150K. If they do intend to run, it was an incredibly stupid move. (I'm assuming that the $150K/$750K figs are correct as posted above, but haven't checked the regs myself.)

Even if you think your horses is just 50% to make the race, you'd put up $150K instead of waiting and putting up $750K the 50% of the time he runs. Any 7th grader could figure that one out.

--Dunbar
Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Churchill Downs

If they don't run him, it will have absolutely nothing to do with the supplemental entry fee.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 AM
oracle80

I think that they may preenter him in case of a Bernadini fever, cough, ache or pain that would prevent him from running. I highly doubt he runs in the race though.