Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Your Worst Job Ever

While we morn the loss of our daily dose of in-fighting on the Politics Board, let's take a trip down a different path of misery-

What was your worst job ever?

Mine was being a teleresearcher. Not a telemarketer, as I was quick to tell people, trying to catch them before they called me names and hung up on me, but a researcher. I was in college, going to class five days a week and working in the evenings at my work-study job five days a week, but the weekends I also had to work, from 10-6, at this gig. It was in a huge windowless room, and you would spend your day dialing supposedly random numbers, trying to get people to talk to you and answer questions about commercials they were seeing, or products being developed, or whatever. The supervisors all sat in a glassed-in room and you could hear them "click" onto your phone line when they listened in on you, which they would do throughout the day.

I remember one job was trying to talk to young men about advertising they'd seen for the military and whether it inspired them to join. The full survey took about 45 minutes and you only got credit if they stayed on with you for the entire survey. I remember one young man using the 45 minutes to hit on me. It was mortifying, and of course ALL of the supervisors clicked in to listen to that one and they just laughed and laughed at me.

But what made it the worst was a job for a medical company. We had a series of questions to ask at the start, in order to make sure the person fit the needs of the survey- have you had a heart attack, have you been treated for diabetes, have you had a partial or complete colostomy, and after the third call I realized EVERY NUMBER we were given was for someone who had had a colostomy. So hospitals or insurance companies or somewhere was providing these numbers (so much for medical confidentiality). And most of the people were elderly and housebound and so incredibly lonely and just wanted to talk to someone, even if "talking" meant graphic descriptions of how their colostomy bag didn't work and they had "sh*t running down their leg," to quote one of them I'll never forget. And so I had desperately unhappy, lonely people wanting to keep me on the phone and supervisors clicking in to write me up if I didn't get off promptly.

I fled the job at the end of the school year, warned that because I didn't give them three months' notice I could NEVER come back. Yeah. Feature, not a bug.

On the bright side, I am always incredibly kind to teleresearchers when they call me, even if I don't have time to talk to them.

Anyone else? What's the worst job you ever had?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Flemington

Public Handicapper.
After the meet I handicapped I went in for a meeting. I had an roi around $2.07 with around 26% on top winners. All factual and saved in the companys database. I was told that they were going in a different direction with the large stable of handicappers they already had.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Public Handicapper.
After the meet I handicapped I went in for a meeting. I had an roi around $2.07 with around 26% on top winners. All factual and saved in the companys database. I was told that they were going in a different direction with the large stable of handicappers they already had.
Are you redboarding on a jobs thread?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Are you redboarding on a jobs thread?
I actually am. And for all the crap I take around here, and Ill admit most of it is deserved but I still dont think many could have a positive ROI doing every race of the Del Mar meet. It is what it is though.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Flemington

I've been lucky to find law offices that are really fantastic, with the exception of one, and easily my worst job ever.

My main client was a total scumbag and walked a very thin line of operating within the law. The President of the Firm gave everyone a portable phone because "no one should have to go to the bathroom before 10:30 a.m." If you did go to the bathroom, you were expected to take the phone in with you. He would also call you at 11:30 at night to go over what you did that day among other highly annoying things.

I left after two weeks when I was offered another job.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Golden Gate

I had a summer job between my junior and senior year of high school as a dog washer in a pet grooming business. I love dogs, so it wasn't that bad.....until this one day. We always ordered out for lunch and this day it was Chinese, so I got my usual, shrimp fried rice. Right before lunch we got this huge old english sheep dog in to be groomed. Her name was "Fluffy". She was filthy...matted, mangy and looked miserable. As I was washing her, I noticed these little white wormy things in the water and called the groomer in to help me. It was the first time I had ever seen a maggot and she was crawling with them. After we got her cleaned up, it was lunch time and as soon as opened my container and saw the rice, it looked like it was wiggling and I puked everywhere. We actually had to shave Fluffy and when her owner picked her up she had a fit! That was my last day in the dog grooming biz.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Hialeah Park

I was the President of the Firm gave everyone a portable phone because I believed "no one should have to go to the bathroom before 10:30 a.m." If you did go to the bathroom,I expected you to take the phone in with you. I would also call the slackers at 11:30 at night to go over what they failed to accomplish that day - most were ungrateful.

I fired the unproductive after two weeks.

Merry Christmas Sightypooo

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Randwyck

Worst and best. Financially the best. It was a small cabinet shop business and the owner (a former horse trainer) purchased a "stepped up" 401k plan near the end of the year for both tax purposes and for his future retirement. He didn't read the fine print and came to realize he had to pay me free and clear with no contribution on my part and I ultimately got 20k in 3 years.

Meanwhile his already nasty disposition got worse during this time frame and eventually I left. The guy was a Jekyll and Hyde sort and while I often dreaded going to work, my employment there led to my best paying job as he recommended me to the new owners when he sold the business.

If you're out there "Mort" I hope you're doing well.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Havre de Grace

Default West LA Fadeaway

had a steady job, holding items for the Mob.
pay was pathetic, shame those boys couldn't be more copacetic.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Hialeah Park

Worst - I used to drive for a company that used to deliver products to assisted living facilities. Pay was crap, too far from home, & corporate were a bunch of ingrates.

Best - current job wholesaling investment properties. Love every day of it. I haven't dreaded getting out of bed for work in at least 2 years. Pay is great, work with great people, and job allows me to spend time at the area Turf Clubs in between showings.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Arlington Park

i was rocktard's fluffer on another board. had to encourage him with stuff like "be sure to shoehorn a red board in somewhere inappropiate today!" and "if someone doesn't believe you, just challange them to a bet where the loser leaves the board forever. you've got nothing to lose!"

was paid in his actual posted selections.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god View Post
i was rocktard's fluffer on another board. had to encourage him with stuff like "be sure to shoehorn a red board in somewhere inappropiate today!" and "if someone doesn't believe you, just challange them to a bet where the loser leaves the board forever. you've got nothing to lose!"

was paid in his actual posted selections.
I'm not clear on this one- was that your worst job or your best job?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I'm not clear on this one- was that your worst job or your best job?
rocktard deals in two currencies. there's the counterfeit one that springs from his fevered imagination and exists only in the dimly recalled past. and there's the real currency of his actual picks.

i was paid in the latter.

i didn't think it was neccesary to explain further. i still don't.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god View Post
rocktard deals in two currencies. there's the counterfeit one that springs from his fevered imagination and exists only in the dimly recalled past. and there's the real currency of his actual picks.

i was paid in the latter.

i didn't think it was neccesary to explain further. i still don't.
Oh lord, I needed a giggle this morning. Thank you for that.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Lincoln Fields

worst job was during college working part-time as a legal assistant to a sole practitioner whose sole client was a credit agency who financed mobile homes – the euphemism was “replevin work” but the reality was repossessing these poor people’s mobile homes and sending the sheriff and landman over to lock them out, it doesn’t get worse than losing your mobile home… the #1 reason why they would get behind on the payments was always a work injury, waiting on their workers comp settlements -

it was terrible when the wives would call and beg for just 30 more days with their kids crying in the background, just awful! once got a call from the landman that a previous occupant had a left a lion in a pen in the backyard (they were way out in the country) - he was getting ready to call fish & game to see if they’d come pick it up, but the credit company said no, wait, they were interested to see how much they could sell it for to apply to the account
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
I was the President of the Firm gave everyone a portable phone because I believed "no one should have to go to the bathroom before 10:30 a.m." If you did go to the bathroom,I expected you to take the phone in with you. I would also call the slackers at 11:30 at night to go over what they failed to accomplish that day - most were ungrateful.

I fired the unproductive after two weeks.

Merry Christmas Sightypooo

Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Hope Santa is good to you Sightypoo Maybe a RING?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
Hope Santa is good to you Sightypoo Maybe a RING?
Nope, I'm not the marrying kind.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Installed heating/AC units in new houses for 1 month directly out of high school. Most of my time was spent in 110-115 degrees attics. Didn't take too long to discover a job in the golf industry was right for me.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Nope, I'm not the marrying kind.
It's a good life !