Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Default NY Task Force on Racehorse Health & Safety Report, Reccos

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/sp...se-deaths.html
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Steve Byk

AS OPPOSED TO TIMES' AGENDA-DRIVEN NONSENSE, THIS FROM PRESS RELEASE:

During its comprehensive examination, the Task Force found that NYRA's organizational veterinary structure was inherently conflicted by reporting to an entity (the Racing Office) whose function is inconsistent with deliberate and careful equine risk management practice. Other structural shortcomings with NYRA's veterinary practice include: a lack of uniform protocols and procedures among track veterinarians, a failure to standardize risk factors to assess racehorses' fitness to run, and no uniformity in veterinary care recordkeeping or proper use of existing veterinary practice management software.

The State Racing and Wagering Board and NYRA will be directed to take these actions:

• Establish an Office of the Equine Medical Director to oversee horse safety

• Create an independent veterinary practice structure within NYRA which will put the health of the horses first and which reporting directly to the chief executive officer of NYRA

• Establish an anonymous reporting mechanism for jockeys to report health or safety violations without fear of reprisal

• Prohibit Clenbuterol within 21 days of a race

• Prohibit Methylprednisolone (DepoMedrol®) within 15 days of the date of a race

• Prohibiting all other intra-articular corticosteroids within seven days of a race

• Prohibiting all other systemic corticosteroids within five days of a race

• Requiring trainers to maintain and records of corticosteroid administrations and notify the Stewards in writing within 48 hours of all intra-articular corticosteroid administrations

• Extending the claiming rule that voids claims in the event a claimed horse dies on the race track to make a claim voidable within 1 hour of the conclusion of a race if the horse is vanned off the track

• Amending the economic proportionality claiming rule to allow a purse-to-claim ratio no greater than 1.6-to-1

• Requiring horse claimants be notified within 48 hours of any intra-articular administration of corticosteroids to the claimed horse in the 30 days prior to the race

• Expanding out-of-competition drug testing to include corticosteroids and clenbuterol

• Improving documentation of findings of fatal injuries, including the development of standard protocols for handling of horses sustaining fatal injuries

• Requiring testing laboratory accreditation

• Formalizing necropsy procedures

NYRA will also examine the possibility of installing of a synthetic surface on the inner track at Aqueduct.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Steve Byk

REPORT: http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/Report.pdf

Executive summary: http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/do...iveSummary.pdf
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Ocala Mike

Default NY Task Force on Racehorse Health & Safety Report, Reccos

A very ambitious set of recommendations, indeed. Let's see what develops during the implementation phase, and let's hope this isn't just paving of the road to hell.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Steve Byk

Crist predictably excellent summary: Even-handed Aqueduct breakdown report disappoints Chicken Littles

The authors – three of whom (Alan Foreman, Dr. Scott Palmer, and Dr. Mary Scollay) spoke at length during the press conference – also debunked many of the theories that have been advanced about the breakdowns, particularly by those who believe that various widely accepted therapeutic medications are at the heart of the problem.

Foreman specifically noted that there was no correlation between the the use of phenylbutazone or furosemide (Salix) and the breakdowns, and he rejected the perception that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are inherently dangerous: “These are not, as have been referred to by others, ‘powerful painkillers,’ ” a reference to The New York Times’s boilerplate language for them.

He also noted that of 7,106 samples tested from horses competing last winter during the period of increased breakdowns, there was not a single positive for an illegal or prohibited medication, and only five positives for overages of therapeutic drugs.

Nobody is going to be entirely pleased with the report: the state did not get its desired red meat on NYRA’s supposed transgressions; NYRA may find some of the recommendations overly critical; and some horsemen will grumble about increased record-keeping and intrusiveness. That’s a pretty good sign that the report was indeed independent of undue political influence and probably makes sense.

That’s what can happen when you give well-informed experts, rather than power brokers and zealots, the time and resources to investigate fully and fairly and make constructive decisions based on facts and science. It might even be the way to run racing going forward.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Steve Byk

So with the benefit of the actual report released and the rational, intelligent approach it took, the above NYT piece is rendered moot and shown up for what it was, more shameless, broadside character assassination intended to further the in-house agenda.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
So with the benefit of the actual report released and the rational, intelligent approach it took, the above NYT piece is rendered moot and shown up for what it was, more shameless, broadside character assassination intended to further the in-house agenda.
The report sure doesn't paint a pretty picture of what is happening on the backside. Clenbuterol every day?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Unfortunately the NY Times will never inform their readers of that.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I guess I'm so used to the vitriol and b.s. and games people play on these issues, then something fair presents itself, and I'm more than a little relieved. Even if it's critical, I'm so grateful that it's not tainted by the biases we've been dealing with. There are actually people trying to make things better that aren't being manipulated for maximum drama. I think if we get fair criticism and show we can adapt to it, that speaks volumes for our future. It's also a stark (and much needed) contrast to our portrayal by Cuomo and the NY Times.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
The report sure doesn't paint a pretty picture of what is happening on the backside. Clenbuterol every day?
Not unique to New York. And not being done by every outfit certainly.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Not unique to New York. And not being done by every outfit certainly.
I wasn't trying to imply either, just talking about the sport in general. If this is going on at the biggest and best circuit , I shudder to think about places lower on the ladder.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
And certainly the outfits that give it daily are actually twice a day....
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply either, just talking about the sport in general. If this is going on at the biggest and best circuit , I shudder to think about places lower on the ladder.
You think greater % of players in the NFL are on HGH and synthetic steroids or Div 3 football?

Clenbuterol side effects are wildly overblown. Personally I dont use it except for horses with acute lung issues because I never saw the benefit of giving it everyday. I tried it everyday on 6 horses for about 3-4 months years ago and honestly didnt see any difference at all.

Not to mention it is really expensive, especially if you are putting your whole barn on it everyday.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
You think greater % of players in the NFL are on HGH and synthetic steroids or Div 3 football?

Clenbuterol side effects are wildly overblown. Personally I dont use it except for horses with acute lung issues because I never saw the benefit of giving it everyday. I tried it everyday on 6 horses for about 3-4 months years ago and honestly didnt see any difference at all.

Not to mention it is really expensive, especially if you are putting your whole barn on it everyday.
But isn't that a big issue, trainers just milking owners for more dollars. Why would you try something that is expensive for 3-4 months without knowing the effect? Maybe the effects are overblown, but the point remains.

Honest question because I don't know, is there a mark up for trainers on vet bills? When I was an AC guy, in addition to labor, it is part of the business to mark up the price on any parts. That is why I ask.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
But isn't that a big issue, trainers just milking owners for more dollars. Why would you try something that is expensive for 3-4 months without knowing the effect? Maybe the effects are overblown, but the point remains.

Honest question because I don't know, is there a mark up for trainers on vet bills? When I was an AC guy, in addition to labor, it is part of the business to mark up the price on any parts. That is why I ask.
There is zero trainers markup on the vast majority of vet bills. Some big trainers may get a kickback of some sort because of the large volume but for the most part the vets bill the owners directly.

Why would I try something without knowing the effect? Well how are you going to know anything without trying it? There was no reason then to think it wouldnt be beneficial and truthfully there is very little data now to suggest that it is harmful.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
There is zero trainers markup on the vast majority of vet bills. Some big trainers may get a kickback of some sort because of the large volume but for the most part the vets bill the owners directly.

Why would I try something without knowing the effect? Well how are you going to know anything without trying it? There was no reason then to think it wouldnt be beneficial and truthfully there is very little data now to suggest that it is harmful.

When you say there is no markup on the vast majority, does that mean there is some?

It isn't like you are the first to try? Is there no sharing of info in this sport for the welfare of the horse? Would you have tried if you had to pay for it? Did the owner agree to this beforehand? I'm just trying to figure out how all this works.

Does very little data to suggest it is harmful mean there is some? I just don't get this liberal attitude about drug use on animals. It just seems like the idea is lets just stick them and see where it leads. I'm certainly not talking about you specifically, but the entire industry.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
When you say there is no markup on the vast majority, does that mean there is some?

It isn't like you are the first to try? Is there no sharing of info in this sport for the welfare of the horse? Would you have tried if you had to pay for it? Did the owner agree to this beforehand? I'm just trying to figure out how all this works.

Does very little data to suggest it is harmful mean there is some? I just don't get this liberal attitude about drug use on animals. It just seems like the idea is lets just stick them and see where it leads. I'm certainly not talking about you specifically, but the entire industry.
I like Chuck have used it at certain levels before realizing i see no advantage in using it everyday..I do use it when a horse scopes bad along with some antibiotics to help the horse through the ordeal. I have in the pass noticed some horses that we claimed off known users of clen to have some sort of "crash" when no longer on the drug..
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

There are 6000+ licensed trainers and I dont know what everyone does but as I said the vast majority have their owners billed directly.

The entire welfare of the horse approach is skewed in these arguments. The vast majority of vet work is either done in response to a specific issue or is preventative medicine. Since most of the trainers are using vets that work for other trainers as well (very few if any private vets exist anymore) there of course is sharing of info. However for the most part trainers keep quiet about what they are doing though for the most part it isnt that much different than everyone else. There was a big advantage about 12-15 years ago for trainers that were treating horses for ulcers. Why give that advantage up? For the most part we all train on the same tracks, use the same facilities, use the same vets, have the same pool of workers to draw from, etc. However we don't have the same owners or access to horses. So when you think that you are doing something better than others are you tend to keep that to yourself. Truth is there have been so many advances in medicine and technology that trainers are far more aware of issues that used to be ignored. Ulcer treatment, EPM meds, wormers, etc are all pretty much standard fare yet 10 years ago only a few guys were using treatments for these effectively. Just imagine the advantage you would have if you could go back 40 years ago and use your speed figures? Would you be giving them out?

You tend to treat my responses as a cross examination. Very little data means that there is very little data that I have heard about. Mostly there is theories but in horseracing theories often pass for facts. I'm leaving open the possibily that there may be some data about the negative health issues that clenbuterol may create that I am not aware of but as far as I know there arent.

There are negatives to virtually every act known to man. Using clenbuterol on a daily basis was done to see of we can possible keep the horses from getting a lung infections which are a nagging issue in horses for a variety of reasons. It is debatable if it does this effectively enough to justify the expense. It is also debatable if the other supposed benefits are really there. Does it work to clear a horses lungs in the case of respiratory illness? Very well. Is it worth doing all the time? Not in my opinion. But doing so doesn't make it wrong either. I'm fine with a 21 day withdrawl period as the way I use it would rarely be an issue. But I dont think a 21 day withdrawl or a 30 day withdrawl period will have any effect on breakdown rates at all.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
There are 6000+ licensed trainers and I dont know what everyone does but as I said the vast majority have their owners billed directly.

The entire welfare of the horse approach is skewed in these arguments. The vast majority of vet work is either done in response to a specific issue or is preventative medicine. Since most of the trainers are using vets that work for other trainers as well (very few if any private vets exist anymore) there of course is sharing of info. However for the most part trainers keep quiet about what they are doing though for the most part it isnt that much different than everyone else. There was a big advantage about 12-15 years ago for trainers that were treating horses for ulcers. Why give that advantage up? For the most part we all train on the same tracks, use the same facilities, use the same vets, have the same pool of workers to draw from, etc. However we don't have the same owners or access to horses. So when you think that you are doing something better than others are you tend to keep that to yourself. Truth is there have been so many advances in medicine and technology that trainers are far more aware of issues that used to be ignored. Ulcer treatment, EPM meds, wormers, etc are all pretty much standard fare yet 10 years ago only a few guys were using treatments for these effectively. Just imagine the advantage you would have if you could go back 40 years ago and use your speed figures? Would you be giving them out?

You tend to treat my responses as a cross examination. Very little data means that there is very little data that I have heard about. Mostly there is theories but in horseracing theories often pass for facts. I'm leaving open the possibily that there may be some data about the negative health issues that clenbuterol may create that I am not aware of but as far as I know there arent.

There are negatives to virtually every act known to man. Using clenbuterol on a daily basis was done to see of we can possible keep the horses from getting a lung infections which are a nagging issue in horses for a variety of reasons. It is debatable if it does this effectively enough to justify the expense. It is also debatable if the other supposed benefits are really there. Does it work to clear a horses lungs in the case of respiratory illness? Very well. Is it worth doing all the time? Not in my opinion. But doing so doesn't make it wrong either. I'm fine with a 21 day withdrawl period as the way I use it would rarely be an issue. But I dont think a 21 day withdrawl or a 30 day withdrawl period will have any effect on breakdown rates at all.
And despite all the advances, we can't get horses to race more than every 5 or 6 weeks, at most. Call me skeptical that all these drugs do more good than harm.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
And despite all the advances, we can't get horses to race more than every 5 or 6 weeks, at most. Call me skeptical that all these drugs do more good than harm.
Seriously? If you are talking about the top horses it is completely by design. Blame Bobby Frankel and then Pletcher for that. Everybody reads sheets now, owners, trainers, racing managers, etc and as soon as a horse runs a big number the first thing they want to do is not run. Not because there is anything wrong with the horses but they want to "manage" them and avoid "regression" so they "give them time" and "space" races. Not to mention that once you get through a few conditions it is easy to run out of places to run. It is stupid and more harmful to horses than anything especially young ones because they dont gain experience training but hey dont blame the rest of us for that.

Look at the B and C level circuits and tell me horses can't run every 2 or 3 weeks. Sure there are guys like Walder who will wait 2 months with a 15000 claimer but he isnt not running because the horse cant, he is waiting for the absolute perfect condition. The fact that the condition books have changed with the normal claiming ladder mostly abandoned and the rise of the conditioned claimer has far more to do with horses running less than "drugs". How many times do you see trainers run a nw2 horse in a nw3 race? Almost never. So instead of running a horse in a open 10000 claimer and if they cant cut it drop to a 7500 race like it always was when we didnt have so many options, you wait for the 10000 nw2 race. Because the pool of horses for a nw2 race is much smaller than the pool for an open 10000 race it may take longer for the race to fill especially the two turn dirt races.

For the most part normal, everyday horses have no problem racing every few weeks. The idea that "drugs" have a negative effect on horses or doesnt allow them to run as much as they used to is stupid.