Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
The Curragh

Default Hurricane

I figured I would start a thread entitled "Hurricane" since we have one called "Earthquake". I hope all DTers and their families are safe and seek refuge from this storm as advised. It's a big storm, lots of rain and surge with it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Washington Park

99-1 Shot Plus Some

The east coast experiences an earthquake and hurricane all in the same week. Naa.

Everyone stay safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Goodwood

My buddy's Bahamian in-laws have called from their satellite phone and are okay. House has roof damage, the fishing boat (their income source) survived, but they say Irene caused more damage to the islands than their last big direct hit, Andrew.

They are being told the power will be back on within a week (it was shut off as a precaution midnight Wedneseday/Thursday), but phone/cell phone could be well over a month. The four legged cell tower on the next island over was snapped in half.

I hope everybody in Irene's path on the east coast can stay safe this weekend.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59 View Post
99-1 Shot Plus Some

The east coast experiences an earthquake and hurricane all in the same week. Naa.

Everyone stay safe.
They are calling for a locust swarm next weekend.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Coach Pants

The surge is a concern considering high tide and the new moon.

The storm is weakening a little. Hope it continues to do so.

Norfolk is f.ucked either way.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
The surge is a concern considering high tide and the new moon.

The storm is weakening a little. Hope it continues to do so.

Norfolk is f.ucked either way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbGCYGulY8

Still expected to reach 125 mph. I told my Mom a little bit ago to drag the rest of my family out here to Roanoke.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Coach Pants

They need to get out of dodge. The ground is already saturated and the wind will have branches flying everywhere. Norfolk will be flooded. Power outages up and down the coast.

Mass chaos.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Gulfstream Park

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Coach Pants

Yes indeed.

DOOOOOOOM!

Quote:
With its eyewall collapsed and just 24 more hours over water before landfall, it is unlikely Irene will have time to build a new eyewall and intensify. The storm is too large to weaken quickly, and the best forecast is that Irene will be a Category 2 hurricane at landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and a rapidly weakening Category 1 hurricane at its second landfall in New England on Sunday. However, since Irene is such a huge storm--tropical storm force winds extend out up to 290 miles from the center--it has set a massive amount of the ocean's surface in motion, which will cause a much larger storm surge than the winds would suggest. At 9:30am EDT this morning, a wind analysis from NOAA/HRD (Figure 1) indicated that the potential storm surge damage from Irene rated a 5.1 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is equivalent to the storm surge a typical Category 4 hurricane would have. While this damage potential should gradually decline as Irene moves northwards and weakens, we can still expect a storm surge one full Saffir-Simpson Category higher than Irene's winds. Since tides are at their highest levels of the month this weekend due to the new moon, storm surge flooding will be at a maximum during the high tidal cycles that will occur at 8 pm Saturday night and 8 am Sunday morning. Wherever Irene happens to be at those times the storm surge damage potential will be maximized. A surge rivaling that experienced during Hurricane Isabel in 2003 is likely in northern NC, southern Maryland, and up Chesapeake Bay on Saturday night. Coastal New England from New York City to Massachusetts may also see storm surges characteristic of a Category 1 hurricane during Sunday morning's high tide, even if Irene has weakened to a tropical storm. I continue to give a 20% chance that a storm surge high enough to over-top the Manhattan flood walls and swamp the New York City subway system will occur on Sunday.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html
Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Flemington

Sounds like things are starting to heat up here in central Jersey.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Sounds like things are starting to heat up here in central Jersey.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricanes/...ry?id=14393026
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM
The Curragh

Concerned that alot of people are not respecting this storm based on the Cat 1 status. It is so much more, so large. I learned something today in that the winds 20 stories up are much stronger then the Cat 1 rating. Storm surge, flooding, man be safe. A very good friend of mine from Middle and Junior High is a Chief Dispatcher for 911 in New York City and I'll just say this, he is planning on a night and day only one can imagine. Be safe.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost View Post
Concerned that alot of people are not respecting this storm based on the Cat 1 status. It is so much more, so large. I learned something today in that the winds 20 stories up are much stronger then the Cat 1 rating. Storm surge, flooding, man be safe. A very good friend of mine from Middle and Junior High is a Chief Dispatcher for 911 in New York City and I'll just say this, he is planning on a night and day only one can imagine. Be safe.
Yawn. Welcome to 2011 where every storm is a catastrophic 50 year event. People in Florida do a Cat 1 on Sat and dont miss a tee time on Sunday. Congrats to all those that survived this catastrophic storm but please dont consume all my bandwith as you rush to post your harrowing survival stories on facebook.

This post is intended as satire folks in case you miss the point.

Last edited by jms62 : 08-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Yawn. Welcome to 2011 where every storm is a catastrophic 50 year event. People in Florida do a Cat 1 on Sat and dont miss a tee time on Sunday. Congrats to all those that survived this catastrophic storm but please dont consume all my bandwith as you rush to post your harrowing survival stories on facebook.

Yeah I'll be sure to pass your satire along to the current 21 people who are stranded on the second floor of a relatively cheap hotel in New York State after a dam burst and flooding the lower floors of the hotel as it may collapse. 2nd dam in this town is on the cusp of going. Prattsville, NY. Satire as people are struggling to survive.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

good thing jms didnt suggest eating irish babies.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost View Post
Yeah I'll be sure to pass your satire along to the current 21 people who are stranded on the second floor of a relatively cheap hotel in New York State after a dam burst and flooding the lower floors of the hotel as it may collapse. 2nd dam in this town is on the cusp of going. Prattsville, NY. Satire as people are struggling to survive.
they have no electricity. they'll probably never know that a humorless drama queen had their back.

with any luck they'll survive the risk of dampness and enjoy a long life.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post

you'd love "storm watch" on any local l.a. station whenever it rains. it usually features a reporter standing next to a gutter with 5 inches of water in it and interviewing people about...rain.

it's been going on most of my adult life. but i don't blame the media. i blame the people that keep watching.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Woodbine

The lights just came back on. Hurray.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll View Post
The light just came back on. Hurray.
Oh I had a feeling you would eventually get there.

Good for you!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:14 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Glad it certainly wasn't what everyone was predicting, but still some pretty intense damage in places along the east coast.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricanes/...d=ESPNheadline