Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Saratoga

Default Sinister Minister

Not going to say I told you so.

Horse did have an excuse(broke like crap) but the horse is done, continue to play against him and you will be rewarded.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav

Horse did have an excuse(broke like crap) but the horse is done, continue to play against him and you will be rewarded.
Done? I dont think he ever really "was"? He caught a freakish conveyor belt at Keeneland and other than that he hasnt shown much. He may win something here or there in the right spot but he wont be top class ever.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:

If they run him at Oak tree I will get a closer look. They took his blinkers off ? I think he has had a hoof problem.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Done? I dont think he ever really "was"? He caught a freakish conveyor belt at Keeneland and other than that he hasnt shown much. He may win something here or there in the right spot but he wont be top class ever.
Argument pre Derby about how this horse is the ish and this and that. That race at Keeneland was impressive but it knocked him out for good IMO
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Argument pre Derby about how this horse is the ish and this and that. That race at Keeneland was impressive but it knocked him out for good IMO
Maybe you're right Scav. Personally, I look at what he did before and after. To me, he is just an average horse that freaked on a track that has traditionally produced bizarre results. I dont think the race could have taken a whole lot out of him because it didnt look like he extended himself too much.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Saratoga

To put it in perspective, he ran a 3 points faster TG wise then Bernandini's top (I dont know what he got in the Travers but it couldn't have been that much faster then his previous -2.5. If I recall, SM ran a -5 at Keeneland that day. Absolutely insane number for a 3 year old that early
Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Newmarket

I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.
I think you'll see him back up running some pretty big numbers again.
Not necessarily like the Keeneland race, but fast.

In Keeneland race, it was as if god had given him wings for a day, unreal.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Del Mar

In Keeneland race, it was as if god had given him wings for a day, unreal.

Ya really. Keeneland or no Keeneland, that was one of the single most dominating performances I have ever seen, and he beat a good field. I played against him yesterday but with the wrong horse.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
To put it in perspective, he ran a 3 points faster TG wise then Bernandini's top (I dont know what he got in the Travers but it couldn't have been that much faster then his previous -2.5. If I recall, SM ran a -5 at Keeneland that day. Absolutely insane number for a 3 year old that early
Yes, but that number was run at Keeneland where lots of figs, high or low, should be viewed with skepticism. No doubt about it-he freaked that day at Keeneland. But the race before that he lost to a horse named Cause To Believe who few will remember by winter time and then got trounced in the derby.

Again, maybe you are right. Maybe what we saw that day at keeneland is the "real" sin min. But based what on ive seen, that performance i suspect was just another bizarre keeneland deal.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Yes, but that number was run at Keeneland where lots of figs, high or low, should be viewed with skepticism. No doubt about it-he freaked that day at Keeneland. But the race before that he lost to a horse named Cause To Believe who few will remember by winter time and then got trounced in the derby.

Again, maybe you are right. Maybe what we saw that day at keeneland is the "real" sin min. But based what on ive seen, that performance i suspect was just another bizarre keeneland deal.
He wouldn't have lost to Cause To Believe if the jock wouldn't have let SM run into the rail several times. He lost all of his momentum, and when he tried to rerally, it was too late...the wire was there. I personally think that SM is a very talented horse, although the Derby may have ruined him like it did Keyed Entry. That is just my opinion. I hope God decides to give him his wings back...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Del Mar

As long as this horse stays in CA or finds another race at Keeneland, he will find a group of horses he will be able to wire on his day. Hes nothing special but any horse with that kind of speed is very useful and will win the occasional big race. I would bet him at a decent price against "better" horses.
Speed rules in American racing. Just ask John Kimmel who just won a grade 1 over the weekend with Premium Tap.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Santa Anita

it was his first off a layoff yesterday and he has every right to improve off that.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
As long as this horse stays in CA or finds another race at Keeneland, he will find a group of horses he will be able to wire on his day. Hes nothing special but any horse with that kind of speed is very useful and will win the occasional big race. I would bet him at a decent price against "better" horses.
Speed rules in American racing. Just ask John Kimmel who just won a grade 1 over the weekend with Premium Tap.
I agree with everything you say here. Heck, why not try belmont and its one turn 9 furlongs on a day when the track is paved? He is definitely fast. very fast.

Sin Min has won a grand total of ONE race besides that Blue Grass freak and it was a 62.5 mcl. More than anything, that is what makes me question the performance.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Del Mar

I dont blame you, I dont think hes a great horse by any means. But I absolutely salivate to bet him back at a decent price against more accomplished horses.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Saratoga

Horse is done, from a gambling perspective, he is a bet against for me for the rest of his racing life, will always be an underlay, unless he is going up against Bernadini
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
I agree with everything you say here. Heck, why not try belmont and its one turn 9 furlongs on a day when the track is paved? He is definitely fast. very fast.
Excellent idea, I think he could do some damage on the big Belmont oval going around 1 turn.

I just will not give up on him yet. Speed like that will win races. Considering it was his first race back after a tough series of races and the slow start followed by a quick aceleration to the front... I think he comes back next time with a nice performance. It will all depend where they put him because things are tougher this time of year. Not like March and April.

To me he is an interesting horse to follow because you just don't know what to expect.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Horse is done, from a gambling perspective, he is a bet against for me for the rest of his racing life, will always be an underlay, unless he is going up against Bernadini
This is correct.