Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Cunningham Racing

Default Mark it down: Scat Daddy WILL win the BC Juvenile

....here is the start of controversial thread #3 this week, as I'm sure many will disagree with their OPINIONS - which we all have.

Scat Daddy had yet another poor trip in the Hopeful, first going down to his knees after stubling significantly out of the gate and then having to recover and rush up into contention through a fast first quarter....then, Johnny V. makes another middle move up the inside through a VERY stout half mile in 44 and change, but the horse - being still green as all inexperienced 2-year-olds - flicked his ears up ad backed himself out of the tight spot created on the rail and Zito's horse in the two-path....you could clearly see the horse suck himself out of that situation out of intimidation, which simply comes from not doing it very often as a result of being a juvenile....

Then, he falls a good 3-4 lengths back, losing ground now, as they pick it up rounding the far turn.....Unbridled Express, who got a dream trip stalking on the outside, moved up under Prado and I loved the way Scat Daddy responed under a drive when losing groundads out-paced the talented Unbridled Express to the 3-wide position....Now, Scat Daddy - who had stumbled, been used in two or three different spots down the backstretch, and lost significant ground - had to rally between two very nice babies in Pegasus Wind and Unbridled Express,ad he was clearly moving better than the two when legthening his pretty stride - until Pegasus Wind, who is not a small horse by any means, came in bumped Scat Daddy VERY hard, knocking him off stride and pushing him out a path....Yet, Scat Daddy dug in and still out-finished that pair with noticably better strides and ability...

Obviously, the damage had been done and stablemate Circular Quay, who enjoyed a dream trip under Gomez, mowed them all down late and won going away after saving all the ground and letting 3 nice colts duel themselves into submission through a grueling pace...

To me, while everybody will look at the closing final quarter-mile of Circular Quay as the most impressive run of the race, I believe that Scat Daddy's middle quarter-mile was the most impressive..I haven't calculated it yet, but go back and watch the replay....

Circular Quay may be a better one-turn horse than Scat Daddy, but I really like what I see out of Scat Daddy in many departments and really believe he might have won this with a better trip and will beat his stablemate around two-turns....I know that Circular Quay is a Thunder Gulch, but I still have reservations about whether or not he'll display the same sort of closing lick around two-turns....you rarely see it with horses who close like he does around one turn....that kick gets really flat around two turns....just my opinion...we will see...I'll tell you this, his mother, who I was a big fan of (Circle of Life), was better around one-turn and was better at two than three....food for thought...

Scat Daddy is bred deeper on the bottomside for stamina and I really think he proves best of this generation with better luck and a bit more distance....I'd like to see him relax in the clear for once and make that ONE good run for a 1/2 to 3/8s of a mile like Circular Quay did - instead of being put in tough situations for 2-year-olds where he has to do to many things to win the race....

Won't take anything away from CQ though.he's a nice colt, obviously...just think Scat Daddy is better and I bet if you asked Pletcher and actually got a square answer out of him he would probably echo the same thoughts...I've seen all 4 of these colts that I mentioned train at CD this spring and summer and they are all nice horses......Bernie's horse is talented but he goes awful in his left/front...wings it out really badly, but man what a nice-looking horse....he is an Unbridled's Song though so there's a great chance that soundness will be an issue at some point....I think Lukas' horse will be a nice sprinter/miler type down the road...he reminds e of this year's Henny Hughes (although probably not near as good as Henny of course)...

The great thing about Scat Daddy is that he may also lose the Champagne to Circular Quay because iit is a ONE-TURN mile-and-a-sixteenth, which will only juice his price for the BC Juvy when it counts...

Cue the critiscism in 5....4....3....2...

Last edited by Cunningham Racing : 09-04-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Hawthorne

you are much more rational on the radio than on this site. the truth is that the top 3 horses all ran great races and any of them can beat the other if the race is run a certain way. the problem is you are discounting all the other 2yr olds out there. right now circular quay is the top 2yr old but they are 2yr olds and can progress quickly. i would not say any horse in that race today is any more impressive than principle secret or even tiz wonderful. circular quay deserves to be the front runner though. i also would like to see soaring by, city snitch, out of gwedda and the frankel winner at belmont, before saying any 2yr old is going to win the bcj.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Flemington

If E Z Warrior makes it back,he will take the Champagne.Haven't heard about him lately(since they shut him down because of a minor shin thing.)
Old 09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Oaklawn

good analysis. I agree that Scat Daddy ran a great race considering all the trouble he found. CQ also broke very poorly spotting the field 10-15 lengths (whether by design or not). I think the biggest difference between CQ and Scat Daddy is that CQ has already appeared to have figured this racing thing out. SD is still learning. Of course, it's impossible to predict how each one will mature, but SD should at least close the gap a little with more experience.
In the end, I still think CQ is better and will be down the road.. in my opinion.
Either way, I hope we see these two hook up several more times in the future. CQ 4 the BCJ!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution
you are much more rational on the radio than on this site. the truth is that the top 3 horses all ran great races and any of them can beat the other if the race is run a certain way. the problem is you are discounting all the other 2yr olds out there. right now circular quay is the top 2yr old but they are 2yr olds and can progress quickly. i would not say any horse in that race today is any more impressive than principle secret or even tiz wonderful. circular quay deserves to be the front runner though. i also would like to see soaring by, city snitch, out of gwedda and the frankel winner at belmont, before saying any 2yr old is going to win the bcj.
It is just my opinion and opinions are what forums like this are all about....If everybody offered "lite-bodied" or hollow opinions than what would be the fun in that?...I like to make bold predictios because i have a knack for them....Plus, it is fun and the best dynamic to chat forums such as this one...
Old 09-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
It is just my opinion and opinions are what forums like this are all about....If everybody offered "lite-bodied" or hollow opinions than what would be the fun in that?...I like to make bold predictios because i have a knack for them....Plus, it is fun and the best dynamic to chat forums such as this one...
No criticisms, these are opinions, it's hard to find fault in a horse that keeps winning, so until he loses, I don't care what excuses the others had, they lost and he's never lost...
Old 09-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
If E Z Warrior makes it back,he will take the Champagne.Haven't heard about him lately(since they shut him down because of a minor shin thing.)
See, I don't respect any of the West coast 2-yaer-olds....I just don't...I really like the filly Jump On In who is in the Del Mar Debutante later today, but that is the only West coast babies I have seen that I like so far..
Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
No criticisms, these are opinions, it's hard to find fault in a horse that keeps winning, so until he loses, I don't care what excuses the others had, they lost and he's never lost...
I cannot argue that point....very true...
Old 09-04-2006, 03:42 PM
pgardn

Nonetheless a good race analysis Cunningham. I likes. Even if I have not seen the race which I will now attempt to do.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Nonetheless a good race analysis Cunningham. I likes. Even if I have not seen the race which I will now attempt to do.
http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/video.asp?track=S
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:

The great thing about Scat Daddy is that he may also lose the Champagne to Circular Quay because iit is a ONE-TURN mile-and-a-sixteenth, which will only juice his price for the BC Juvy when it counts...

Cue the critiscism in 5....4....3....2...
i beg to differ. scat daddy broke fine, while CQ completely missed the break and spotted the field 15 lengths. scat daddy did give a great effort by keeping up on the front end of the fractions, he was beaten easily by CQ. he'll be better in the champagne b/c its one turn as it seems he's more of a sprinting type and two turns will be a disadvantage to him, unless on turf-where he might be best. wasnt he all out to be Tuflesburg at 6f?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
See, I don't respect any of the West coast 2-yaer-olds....I just don't...I really like the filly Jump On In who is in the Del Mar Debutante later today, but that is the only West coast babies I have seen that I like so far..
jump on in was put down the other day....

hold on...looking it up to make sure. if it wasn't her, it was a damned similar name!

Last edited by Danzig : 09-04-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
jump on in was put down the other day....
then who is it in the eighth at Del Mar today?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Randwyck

She was?!! Oh lord, I haven't read anything about this, even in today's Del Mar stable notes............. maybe it's another filly? I think there is a filly named Jump on It.........
Old 09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
She was?!! Oh lord, I haven't read anything about this, even in today's Del Mar stable notes............. maybe it's another filly? I think there is a filly named Jump on It.........
It has to be another horse, Jump On In races today and is not scratched.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

dunno, looking on drf...i remember seeing the article and thinking i should put it up here...but i didn't.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
That's what I thought, but my heart dropped into my stomach for a second. Whew........
Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
That's what I thought, but my heart dropped into my stomach for a second. Whew........
Yeah mine too, i'm really anxious to see how she does today.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
yeah, gotta be...similar name, it was an article under a main one on drf...damn...

sorry guys if i had ya worried...
Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
yeah, gotta be...similar name, it was an article under a main one on drf...damn...

sorry guys if i had ya worried...
no problem. i also remember a story about a 2yo that had to be put down, but i also don't remember the name.