Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Saratoga

Default Beating the boys... can she do it again?

Okay I know there aren't many Singapore racing fans here but the Derby is this weekend and Jolie's Shinju (who won the first two Legs of the Singapore Four-Year-Old Challenge - The Patrons’ Bowl and The Singapore Derby Trial) is going for it.

Only girl in the field, she's up against some pretty tough horses (like Big Maverick and The Hornet).

Fun race to watch anyway so just a heads up.

Jabal Tarik is getting quite a bit of attention (too) but if I were playing it (I'm not) I'd use Jolie over Big Maverick (Prebble has the mount!!!), The Hornet and Subordinate (who I think will be at big, fat odds).

EMIRATES SINGAPORE DERBY 2009
POST POSITION DRAW

Horse No
Horse Name
Jockey
Trainer
Barrier No

The Hornet
Joao Moreira
Douglas Dragon

Jabal Tarik
Vlad Duric
Michael Freedman

Big Maverick
Brett Prebble
Laurie Laxon

Restored
John Powell
Dr Yeoh Kheng Chye

Ricoco
Benny Woodworth
Patrick Shaw

Keep Away
Saifudin Ismail
Hideyuki Takaoka

Quiero Bailar
Barend Vorster
Patrick Shaw

Drovetti
Oscar Chavez
Steven Burridge

Ribeiro
Danny Beasley
Michael Freedman

Imperial Green
Saimee Jumaat
Stephen Gray

Win In
Robbie Fradd
Patrick Shaw

Huat Chai
Matthew Kellady
Mohd Yusof

Subordinate
Mohd Suhaimi
Michael Freedman

Switchblade
Ryan Plumb
Steven Burridge

Golden Number
Marcus Au
Leslie Khoo

Jolie's Shinju
Ronnie Stewart
Hideyuki Takaoka

Marco Kid (EA)
Mark Gallagher
Brian Dean

Demhillsofgold (EA)
Unfixed
Bruce Marsh

Seven Warrior (EA)
Unfixed
Cliff Brown
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Saratoga

Demhillsofgold and Marco Kid are either scratched or expected to.....
Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
but if I were playing it (I'm not) I'd use Jolie over Big Maverick (Prebble has the mount!!!), The Hornet and Subordinate (who I think will be at big, fat odds).
She did it!!!

http://www.thoroughbrednews.co.nz/si....aspx?id=41581

Jolie wins, Big Maverick 2nd...

(Full results, replay)...

http://www.turfclub.com.sg/tabid/203...1/Default.aspx

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 07-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Santa Anita

What a mare.. Looking forward to the Cox Plate
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlintexas
What a mare.. Looking forward to the Cox Plate
Yeah she's quite the girl... it'll be fun!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Saratoga

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...international/
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Saratoga

http://www.thoroughbrednews.co.nz/si....aspx?id=42506
Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Saratoga

She's on her way baaaaack!

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/s....aspx?id=45353
Old 02-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Saratoga

Not sure if this should go on the Singapore thread or here but whatever.

Oh and good luck to Sir Rumble in R3/

Jolie / Waipapa / Mozart
(Super Gold and Fantastic owners are really nice horses but I'm sentimental).

26/02/2010 - Singapore

RACE 7: KRANJI STAKES A - 1400M COURSE D (LC) TIME: 21:30 PRIZE MONEY: S$125000

Colour Horse No Last 5 Runs Horse Name EA Gear Jockey Trainer Barrier Rating Wt Desc Sire Dam Owner Rating +/-
1 13080 JOLIE'S SHINJU TT APP M AIRY
-3 L TRELOAR 3 114 59.5 5yo DB JPN M JOLIE'S HALO (USA) ENDEARING QUALITY (USA) HIPPOCRATES STABLE 5
2 61032 FANTASTIC OWNERS E ASLAM
-2 B DEAN 2 101 58.0 6yo B AUS G FANTASTIC LIGHT (USA) QUEEN OF STATE (NZ) MEGA HILL STABLE -
3 48412 SUPER GOLD B KB SOO
S CHUA 6 99 56.5 4yo B AUS G GOLDEN SNAKE (USA) GOLD PATRIOT (AUS) RICH STABLE -
4 20048 DARK GENERAL P APP TH KOH
-4 M YUSOF 7 91 55.0 6yo B AUS G BLACKFRIARS (AUS) VOLTAGE PAK (AUS) LEE LE PARIS STABLE -1
5 47561 ABDICATE R WOODWORTH
D KOH 8 89 53.5 6yo B AUS G OCTAGONAL (NZ) THE WRYTHE (AUS) FAST TRACK STABLE 6
6 99756 SLOW WALTZ I SAIFUDIN
H TAKAOKA 5 89 53.5 6yo CH AUS G SHINKO FOREST (IRE) TANGO MUSIC (AUS) LEE KWAI SANG -3
7 05115 SMOKING JOE M KELLADY
-1 KC YEOH 9 88 53.5 5yo B AUS G DANETIME (IRE) SEE THE GOLD (AUS) TOAST TRUST NO 16 STABLE -
8 22350 WAIPAPA J MOREIRA
L LAXON 4 88 53.5 4yo B NZ G ALIGN (AUS) CHATEAU VIEW (NZ) SILVER FERN RACING STABLE -
9 43266 AMADEUS MOZART B, TT B VORSTER
P SHAW 1 85 53.5 7yo B IRE G MOZART (IRE) LINDESBERG (GB) EMMA STABLE -2
10 32427 DRAGON WORLD B, TT R FRADD
D BAERTSCHIGER 10 84 52.0 5yo B/BR NZ G O'REILLY (NZ) CENTELISE (NZ) R & W STABLE -1
11 10292 SWITCHBLADE WK O CHAVEZ
S BURRIDGE 11 83 52.0 5yo B AUS G FUSAICHI PEGASUS (USA) DANE RIPPER (AUS) AREXEVAN RACING STABLE 1
SCR 41642 SUPERB B TRAINER SCR
J MEAGHER 92 55.0 5yo CH AUS G HIGH YIELD (USA) LOVE DREAM (IRE) EFFECT STABLE 1
SCR 16670 ARIEM TT VET SCR
M FREEDMAN 82 52.0 5yo B AUS G ENCOSTA DE LAGO (AUS) CLOSE YOUR EYES (AUS) MUMMIFY STABLE -
Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Saratoga

Awww... happy retirement.

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/s....aspx?id=47490

Jolie's Shinju retires

Michael Lee of the Singapore Turf Club

Just when it looked like new life was being breathed into her racing career, former glamour mare Jolie’s Shinju has suddenly been retired in the wake of her last race.

Last Saturday’s Yew Tee Classic Stakes was meant to be the 2009 Singapore Derby winner’s stepping stone to a second crack at the Melbourne riches, but the inaugural 1800m race turned out to be her swansong instead – and an early ticket to the breeding barn.

Dr Tan Kai Chah’s valiant Japanese-bred mare had slotted into her customary role of leader with her usual aplomb, but by the home turn, she was already sending signals of distress.

Once an impregnable fortress when in front – as many found out to their dismay in last year’s cleansweep of the Singapore Four-Year-Old Challenge culminating into the Derby - Jolie’s Shinju tamely sank to wind up fifth, more than 10 lengths off record-breaking winner Superb.

Dr Tan’s worst fears that the Jolie’s Halo five-year-old’s dodgy legs may have succumbed to the rigours of one race too many were confirmed in the next three days.

“I knew she was in trouble when she turned the corner. She stumbled a couple of times and instead of stretching out like she normally does, she compounded pretty badly,” recalled the prominent liver surgeon.

“She didn’t feel any pain after the race, but the next day, her right fetlock had become swollen. That was of great concern, to say the least.”

The telltale signs were not rosy, but Dr Tan and trainer Hideyuki Takaoka knew only an X-ray and an ultrasound scan could seal her fate.

“The X-ray did not show any substantial change to the previous X-rays of that leg before the race,” said Singapore Turf Club veterinary surgeon Dr Curry Keoughan.

“But today’s (Tuesday) scan showed a very small injury to the lateral branch of the suspensory ligaments.

“If given time, some horses can come back from such injuries, but they may or may not become chronic later.

“At this stage, given the other little problems she has had with her knees, in her case, it may however be better to decrease the risk. I therefore recommended Dr Tan to retire her.”

Besides her well-documented leg issues, Jolie’s Shinju’s medical history also includes a case of the thumps and a cardiac irregularity which were held largely responsible for her Melbourne campaign going belly-up with dismal runs in three feature races and only one first-up third to Whobegotyou in the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes at Moonee Valley last September to salvage some pride.

The Hippocrates Stable owner did not take long to rule out a Lazarus-like comeback. After all, the Japanese-bred five-year-old mare by Jolie’s Halo out of Danzig mare Endearing Quality, has scored nine wins and seven placings from 27 starts for prizemoney in excess of $1.3 million.

“She’s run her final race. I could have brought her back if she recovered but I don’t want her to break down,” said Dr Tan.

“If she was a gelding, I might have kept her in training. But she’s such a valuable mare who has given us so much joy and glory – we only owe it to her.

“I was always going to retire her anyway. The plan was for her to start her broodmare duties but now she will go earlier.”

After a heartening sixth to Lizard’s Desire in last month’s Singapore Airlines International Cup, Dr Tan soon flagged his intentions of reviving his Australian dream.

Jolie’s Shinju was being prepared to win at least one race on home soil (Chairman’s Trophy on July 30 was next in line) before pursuing her racing career with Australian trainer Tony Noonan in Mornington, Victoria in a bid to add some black-type gloss to her broodmare value.

With all these plans now scuppered, Dr Tan, who will keep his shares in her as she embarks on this new chapter of her life, has yet to decide where she will head.

“First I will have to inform Tony of the change of plans. As for the farm she will go to, I haven’t decided anything yet,” said Dr Tan.

“If she goes to Australia, she will more likely go to my friend’s stud at Arrowfield.

“But the Japanese contingent is also very keen to have her over there. We’ll wait and see.

“Wherever she goes, I hope she will become a good broodmare, and who knows, we may one day race one of her foals or fillies here in Singapore.”