Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Saratoga

Default Another Barbaro update

From BH.....

Richardson Reports That Barbaro's Injured Leg 'Looked Good'
by Blood-Horse Staff
Edited release from New Bolton Center

Classic winner Barbaro was doing well Wednesday morning after the cast on his right hind limb was changed late Tuesday afternoon under general anesthesia at the New Bolton Center.
"The leg looked good under the cast, especially considering the length of time that he has been in a cast," said Dr. Dean Richardson, chief of surgery. "The radiographs also were encouraging. There is no sign of active infection. This is further supported by his markedly improving blood values over the last two weeks. He had an excellent pool recovery; he is a very intelligent horse and has definitely figured out the whole process."

The cast on the right hind leg encloses the foot and extends up to just below the hock. It will continue to be changed regularly until the fractures and joint fusions have healed completely enough to sustain full weight bearing.

The bandage and protective boot on Barbaro's laminitic left hind foot continues to be changed daily. "The appearance of the foot is very good. It is dry and healthy looking with excellent early regrowth at the coronary band," said Dr. Richardson.

Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the University of Pennsylvania's George D. Widener Hospital, where he is recovering from injuries suffered at the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) on May 20, two weeks after his impressive victory in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands (gr. I).
Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Am I the only one who has an instant reaction of "Hooray!" followed by "Oh, sshh-- there's still a lot of months ahead..."?

Hang in there, Barbaro!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
boldruler

It is pretty much all about the laminitis now. Amazing but he is now better than 50-50.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Arlington Park

If this horse survives....it will be a truly amazing accomplishment by both the horse and Dr. Richardson. When word of the severity of the laminitis case was first reported, I honestly sort of gave up all hope. Looks like I may have been a little premature in that!!
He still has a long road in front of him, and we are all smart enough to know that he could take a turn for the worse any day, but if any pair can pull through this thing, it looks like it may just be Richardson and Barbaro.