Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Del Mar

Default Indian Blessing Scratched

http://www.drf.com/news/article/98025.html

Hmm. . . I wonder how long Baffert had that plan for. . .
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Goodwood

Yeah, in retrospect, it was suspicious that he entered TTS in there as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Santa Anita

Wonder why it took them so long to realize that the race was too long for her.. Why did they even enter her? To wait until the "day of" to go "Oh..this isn't the race we wanted"
Gimme a break
Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlintexas
Wonder why it took them so long to realize that the race was too long for her.. Why did they even enter her? To wait until the "day of" to go "Oh..this isn't the race we wanted"
Gimme a break
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I don't know why Baffert didn't realize the race was too long for her when he entered her. I mean, she's only won twice, one of them a grade one, at that distance in the past. It's not like she's won three times at it. If not for that nag Proud Spell beating her, then she would have won three times at the distance. But yeah, only twice proves it's too long for her.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Santa Anita

Why would he say he wants to keep her at sprint distances?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I don't know why Baffert didn't realize the race was too long for her when he entered her. I mean, she's only won twice, one of them a grade one, at that distance in the past. It's not like she's won three times at it. If not for that nag Proud Spell beating her, then she would have won three times at the distance. But yeah, only twice proves it's too long for her.
She's probably best at a mile and a quarter
Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Maybe it was too wet for her. She's just 2 for 2 on muddy and sloppy, including one of her mile-and-sixteenth wins. If she were 3 for 3 on wet tracks, maybe Baffert would have let her run, but coming in just 2 for 2, well...

Or maybe they didn't like the weight assignment. She would have been forced to carry 6 lbs LESS than her last two races. It might have thrown off her rhythm.

So many reasons to scratch...

--Dunbar
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlintexas
Why would he say he wants to keep her at sprint distances?
Maybe because he is going to run her in the BC F/M Sprint and doesn't want to make her run long then cut her back to sprints. Also, maybe because he feels that right now, she's better at sprints. But feeling she's better at sprints doesn't mean she can't go longer. I am probably nitpicking but if you had said this race was further than her best distance, that would have made sense. To say it's too far for her when she's won at it twice in stakes company, doesn't.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Oriental Park

Pretty interestng because to date Tough Tiz's Sis has been better on synthetic. Interesting results in some of the stake races in new york as of late, Colonal John, Intangaroo and today...all have moved up on figures on dirt saying they ran much better.......or did they?

Of course there was no Zenyatta in this race either.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
Pretty interestng because to date Tough Tiz's Sis has been better on synthetic. Interesting results in some of the stake races in new york as of late, Colonal John, Intangaroo and today...all have moved up on figures on dirt saying they ran much better.......or did they?

Of course there was no Zenyatta in this race either.
Speaking of Intangaroo, its interesting that the BC FM Sprint is run at 7f. Was it run at that distance last year?

With 3 Grade 1's in tow, the only horse that could knock her off for the female sprinter Eclipse is Indian Blessing, and Intangaroo would have been up against it based on running style if the race was 6f.

As it stands, it should be an fair match between the two to decide the championship, considering that both have won at 7f on the synthetic at SA during the winter (unlike Big Brown and Curlin, neither of whom have raced over AW stuff).
Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Speaking of Intangaroo, its interesting that the BC FM Sprint is run at 7f. Was it run at that distance last year?

With 3 Grade 1's in tow, the only horse that could knock her off for the female sprinter Eclipse is Indian Blessing, and Intangaroo would have been up against it based on running style if the race was 6f.

As it stands, it should be an fair match between the two to decide the championship, considering that both have won at 7f on the synthetic at SA during the winter (unlike Big Brown and Curlin, neither of whom have raced over AW stuff).
The F&M Sprint was designed to be 7 furlongs but because Monmouth couldn't accomodate 7 furlongs in 2007, they ran it at six.

You're right about Intangaroo though, she is having an outstanding year. Dearest Trickski may have something to say about the BC F&M Sprint as well.

NT
Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Del Mar

Intangaroo is painfully slow. . .
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Intangaroo is painfully slow. . .
So is everyone else going 7f apparently. Especially pure sprinters. She's the older female version of Visionaire.

Maybe Barry Irwin should lobby the BC to extend the Sprint to 7f, too.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I just hope a certain someone doesn't see you disparaging Visionaire....again.

Too late...I see Rollo has taken his "I hate Visionaire" tour on the road....he really needs to let go missing make a score on the mighty Visionaire at Saratoga. But then again...Rollo is a chalk eating weasel and 6-1 is way above what he normally bets.....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Jerome Park

Baffert never intended to run Indian Blessing.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Baffert never intended to run Indian Blessing.
That was pretty apparent. . .
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
The Curragh

Maybe he's taking the Too Much Bling route to the BC with this one. It sure worked well the first time.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Flemington

As of Sunday there was a good chance Indian Blessing would run (and win big) in the 400K 6f stake at Presque Isle this Saturday.

As of Monday, she wasn't coming.

The trainer who told me all of this puts the over/under on how many more times Baffert will chance his mind prior to entries at 2.5
Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
As of Sunday there was a good chance Indian Blessing would run (and win big) in the 400K 6f stake at Presque Isle this Saturday.

As of Monday, she wasn't coming.

The trainer who told me all of this puts the over/under on how many more times Baffert will chance his mind prior to entries at 2.5
Does he have another horse nominated to the race?