Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default Benny the Bull retired after injury

Benny the Bull retired after injury
By DAVID GRENING
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Benny the Bull, the leading sprinter in the nation, was found to have a chip in his right front ankle on Wednesday and has been retired from racing, his connections said.

Benny the Bull had worked six furlongs in 1:14.29 at Aqueduct on Monday, and on Tuesday trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. said he was very much looking forward to running him in Saturday's Grade 1 Forego at Saratoga.

But on Wednesday, Dutrow noticed some filling in Benny the Bull's ankle, and subsequent X-rays revealed the chip, according to Michael Iavarone, the head of the group that owns majority interest in Benny the Bull. Iavarone said the chip could be easily removed surgically, but that the horse would not be able to make it back for this October's Breeders' Cup Sprint. Iavarone said plans were for the horse to be retired at year's end.

"There's ups and downs in this game, but I don't even view this as a down," said Iavarone, co-president of the International Equine Acquisitions Holdings Inc. Stable, which purchased Benny the Bull privately last summer. "The horse has retired without something terrible happening, and hopefully he'll live a happy and healthy life."

Iavarone said stallion plans are pending for Benny the Bull, a 5-year-old Florida-bred son of Lucky Lionel who won 9 of 17 starts and earned $2,221,630. Benny the Bull won his last five starts, including the Grade 1 De Francis at Laurel Park last year, the Sunshine Millions, Grade 1 Dubai Golden Shaheen, Grade 2 True North, and Grade 2 Smile Sprint Handicap this year.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Goodwood

Spin it how they may, I don't expect to see blue hen mares lining up to breed to a son of Lucky Lionel.....
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Santa Anita

Hate to hear that.. I looked forward to his return.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Goodwood

The way he ran in his last two starts combined with his very infrequent works, something was likely up with him to begin with.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Spin it how they may, I don't expect to see blue hen mares lining up to breed to a son of Lucky Lionel.....
this is what is so irritating to me, automatic retirement of these horses. they said he was done at years' end anyway, so that's why they're retiring him now. my question is why? why the rush to send a son of the monster lucky lionel to stud?? this is by no means a career ending injury. ridiculous.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
this is what is so irritating to me, automatic retirement of these horses. they said he was done at years' end anyway, so that's why they're retiring him now. my question is why? why the rush to send a son of the monster lucky lionel to stud?? this is by no means a career ending injury. ridiculous.
Normally I'd agree, but really, what's there to gain by bringing him back next year? He'll be six, so he might start slowing down, his value right now is likely as high as it's going to get, he's already got this year's Eclipse sewn up, and he's won just about every important sprint race except the Forego and BC Sprint, and those are both over a year away.

I also agree that these morons are dreaming if they think a son of Lucky Lionel is going to be some hot commodity at stud (same goes for Kip Deville), but I don't see the sense in bringing him back at six either.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

six isn't that old, really. and considering the dearth of top horses, he could win quite a few races next year. well....considering who the trainer is, maybe not quite a few. but the few he enters.

as for raising or lowering his value...i'd think he hasn't got much value anyway.
now watch him take off at stud.

yeah, right.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
six isn't that old, really. and considering the dearth of top horses, he could win quite a few races next year. well....considering who the trainer is, maybe not quite a few. but the few he enters.

as for raising or lowering his value...i'd think he hasn't got much value anyway.
now watch him take off at stud.

yeah, right.
Like I said, what is there left to win? The Forego, which he ran second in with a 119 Beyer, and the BC Sprint, and he would be well into his six-year-old year when those races finally came around.

I don't think he has much value at stud either, but whatever value he does have is probably at its peak right now (it'll be even higher once he wins the Eclipse), so I don't quite see the point in bringing him back at six.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Coach Pants

He's done enough. Winning a major competition multiple times is not the cool thing to do in this sport.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Normally I'd agree, but really, what's there to gain by bringing him back next year? He'll be six, so he might start slowing down, his value right now is likely as high as it's going to get, he's already got this year's Eclipse sewn up, and he's won just about every important sprint race except the Forego and BC Sprint, and those are both over a year away.

I also agree that these morons are dreaming if they think a son of Lucky Lionel is going to be some hot commodity at stud (same goes for Kip Deville), but I don't see the sense in bringing him back at six either.
He has it wrapped up? If a horse wins the Forgeo and Breeders Cup wont they have just as good if not better credentials then BtB? And thats not even counting the De Francis. The Dubai race is nice but it shouldnt count and the Sunshine Millions is a restricted race. He may be the leader now but he is far from a lock.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Like I said, what is there left to win? The Forego, which he ran second in with a 119 Beyer, and the BC Sprint, and he would be well into his six-year-old year when those races finally came around.

I don't think he has much value at stud either, but whatever value he does have is probably at its peak right now (it'll be even higher once he wins the Eclipse), so I don't quite see the point in bringing him back at six.
I dont think an Eclipse will do anything value wise for this horse at stud. Closing sprinters by LL in a depressed market arent going to be well received regardless of awards.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He has it wrapped up? If a horse wins the Forgeo and Breeders Cup wont they have just as good if not better credentials then BtB? And thats not even counting the De Francis. The Dubai race is nice but it shouldnt count and the Sunshine Millions is a restricted race. He may be the leader now but he is far from a lock.
What horse in this sprint division is winning all three of those races? Hell, I couldn't even tell you who's pointing to the Forego, much less who's good enough to win it.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
What horse in this sprint division is winning all three of those races? Hell, I couldn't even tell you who's pointing to the Forego, much less who's good enough to win it.
Horses who win the Breeders Cup are almost always named eclipse champion. Because the fields are so weak a horse with a good 8 week run can win the thing. Ever heard of Reraise?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Horses who win the Breeders Cup are almost always named eclipse champion. Because the fields are so weak a horse with a good 8 week run can win the thing. Ever heard of Reraise?
Fine, there's a Reraise lurking out there somewhere in this horrendous division. Was there a horse in '98 that won the equivalent of the Golden Shaheen, Sunshine Millions, True North and Smile Sprint?

I think there's very little chance anyone else wins the Eclipse, but even if it happens, that wasn't my main point. My point was that I can see why IEAH wouldn't feel the need to bring this horse back at six.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Fine, there's a Reraise lurking out there somewhere in this horrendous division. I think there's very little chance anyone else wins the Eclipse, but even if it happens, that wasn't my main point. My point was that I can see why IEAH wouldn't feel the need to bring this horse back at six.
Do you really think that his age is a big factor in the decision? Maybe I am being cynical but there is no reason to believe that the chip wasnt going to be a major problem in the future and if he was 4 i'm sure the same decision would have been made. The truth is he will be soon forgotten.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Flemington

Thor's Echo is a better example than Reraise. He hadn't won a race in a year and a half - and he only entered the Ancient Title a few weeks before the BC Sprint because an allowance race didn't fill.

TE was 2nd to Bordonaro and parlayed the Sprint and DeFrancis Dash to an Eclipse.

Reraise was just awesome all year long in '98. Winning all four of his six furlong races in dominant wire-to-wire fashion after displaying razor sharp speed. His only loss a 2nd at Del Mar to Young At Heart going 7 furlongs where he went way too fast early and came apart in the final furlong. The only race in his 8 race career in which he didn't dominate. He was close to untouchable at three quarters.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Thor's Echo is a better example than Reraise. He hadn't won a race in a year and a half - and he only entered the Ancient Title a few weeks before the BC Sprint because an allowance race didn't fill.

TE was 2nd to Bordonaro and parlayed the Sprint and DeFrancis Dash.

Reraise was just awesome all year long in '98. Winning all four of his six furlong races in dominant wire-to-wire fashion after displaying razor sharp speed. His only loss a 2nd at Del Mar to Young At Heart going 7 furlongs where he went way too fast early and came apart in the final furlong. The only race in his 8 race career in which he didn't dominate. He was close to untouchable at three quarters.
I think he beat older horses twice that year, the AT and BC. Werent they the only grade 1's he had that year?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:

Didnt they get rid of the De Francis this year. I could have sworn I read that LRL got rid of most of their major stakes races this fall.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Do you really think that his age is a big factor in the decision? Maybe I am being cynical but there is no reason to believe that the chip wasnt going to be a major problem in the future and if he was 4 i'm sure the same decision would have been made. The truth is he will be soon forgotten.
No, I think the most important factor is that his value, as low as you or I think that is, won't get any higher with another year in training and can only drop.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
Didnt they get rid of the De Francis this year. I could have sworn I read that LRL got rid of most of their major stakes races this fall.
You are correct!!!