Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Goodwood

Default Stewards- Country Star

Thought the stewards absolutely made the wrong decision on today's 7th race. Country Star was weaving through the stretch like a drunken sailor, and caused interference with both the 2nd AND 3rd place finishers, yet they left her up. I hate to be cynical but it smells to me like they were 'playing favorites' with the connections, if it had not been Frankel/Stonerside I think they rightfully take her down.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Thought the stewards absolutely made the wrong decision on today's 7th race. Country Star was weaving through the stretch like a drunken sailor, and caused interference with both the 2nd AND 3rd place finishers, yet they left her up. I hate to be cynical but it smells to me like they were 'playing favorites' with the connections, if it had not been Frankel/Stonerside I think they rightfully take her down.
I thought she was definitely erratic, but it was a tough call since she never really touched anyone.

What a terrible bet that mediocre horse was at 4-5 though. Pissed me off that she managed to win, as I played a Pick 3 specifically for the purpose of beating her.. Had the second and third place finishers and that overhyped rat manages to hold on.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM
hrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I thought she was definitely erratic, but it was a tough call since she never really touched anyone.

What a terrible bet that mediocre horse was at 4-5 though. Pissed me off that she managed to win, as I played a Pick 3 specifically for the purpose of beating her.. Had the second and third place finishers and that overhyped rat manages to hold on.
i would have never bet her, but why try to beat her ? why not sit it out ? she was clearly the most likely winner, was obviously a short horse, getting a race in for something much bigger, and still managed to win.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrfan
i would have never bet her, but why try to beat her ? why not sit it out ? she was clearly the most likely winner, was obviously a short horse, getting a race in for something much bigger, and still managed to win.
You stated yourself she was probably short and pointed for something bigger. Isn't that enough of a reason to try to beat her in P3's. She seemed vulnerable and if she doesn't win, the multi-race wagers should pay very well.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrfan
Really? What exactly made her 'clearly the most likely winner'? She wasn't the fastest horse in the race on grass, and the move to turf reeked of desperation. She was a complete bet-against at 4-5.

It's also laughable that you think she was 'obviously a short horse'. Four five-furlong breezes in 24 days, and Frankel's horses hardly ever 'need a race'.. Doesn't sound like an 'obvious' short horse to me.

Sooner or later, people might have to stop making excuses for this filly and come to grips with the possibility that she's just not very fast.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Really? What exactly made her 'clearly the most likely winner'? She wasn't the fastest horse in the race on grass, and the move to turf reeked of desperation. She was a complete bet-against at 4-5.

It's also laughable that you think she was 'obviously a short horse'. Four five-furlong breezes in 24 days, and Frankel's horses hardly ever 'need a race'.. Doesn't sound like an 'obvious' short horse to me.

Sooner or later, people might have to stop making excuses for this filly and come to grips with the possibility that she's just not very fast.
I think you're REALLY jumping to conclusions here. If you want to accuse her of being babied, pampered, or fragile then I'm with you. However, she hasn't been given enough time to prove herself "fast" on conventional dirt. She hasn't even made a start on fast dirt!

She's pointing to the Gazelle and perhaps she'll be grossly exposed there, especially with Music Note pointing to the same place. I can tell you that the Stonerside people really think a lot of her and have since Day 1.

NT
Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
She's pointing to the Gazelle and perhaps she'll be grossly exposed there, especially with Music Note pointing to the same place. I can tell you that the Stonerside people really think a lot of her and have since Day 1.

NT
Yup
Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
The question is rarely whether they fouled, it's usually whether they think somebody else would have won if they didn't get fouled. My opinion is she wasn't gunna get beat. She had quite a bit left(Frankel's usually do....I know what Joey was trying to do, but Frankel is usually simply a bully in this particular type of spot.) That's why I can't wait for this guy to retire. Loves to bring in this comebacking fresh chalk. Not exactly entertaining stuff. He's never really understood that this is supposed to be entertainment, but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I think you're REALLY jumping to conclusions here. If you want to accuse her of being babied, pampered, or fragile then I'm with you. However, she hasn't been given enough time to prove herself "fast" on conventional dirt. She hasn't even made a start on fast dirt!

NT
Wait a minute, so telling people to CONSIDER that she MIGHT not be very fast is 'REALLY jumping to conclusions'? Hmmm, I disagree. I'd say that calling her 'clearly the most likely winner' today and an 'obvious short horse' sounds a lot more like conclusion-jumping.

Stonerside can think whatever they want about her, all I know is what I see, and what I've seen is SIX STRAIGHT mediocre-to-lousy races from her. Maybe she'll end up a good horse on fast dirt, but until then, I don't think it's outlandish to SUGGEST that she's not very fast.. Talk about sensitive.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

There is no rule saying that you actually have to touch or make contact. Intimidation or failure to maintain a straight course to the detriment of others is in most rules books. Of course there are not that many stewards that ever bother to read the rule book...
Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
The question is rarely whether they fouled, it's usually whether they think somebody else would have won if they didn't get fouled. My opinion is she wasn't gunna get beat. She had quite a bit left(Frankel's usually do....I know what Joey was trying to do, but Frankel is usually simply a bully in this particular type of spot.) That's why I can't wait for this guy to retire. Loves to bring in this comebacking fresh chalk. Not exactly entertaining stuff. He's never really understood that this is supposed to be entertainment, but that's just my opinion.
Frankel will retire when he croaks. I am not sure how his winning with short priced horses off of a layoff undermines the entertainment factor. I suppose if he intentionally stiffed them a few times it would be more entertaining. what is this pro wrestling?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Wait a minute, so telling people to CONSIDER that she MIGHT not be very fast is 'REALLY jumping to conclusions'? Hmmm, I disagree. I'd say that calling her 'clearly the most likely winner' today and an 'obvious short horse' sounds a lot more like conclusion-jumping.

Stonerside can think whatever they want about her, all I know is what I see, and what I've seen is SIX STRAIGHT mediocre-to-lousy races from her. Maybe she'll end up a good horse on fast dirt, but until then, I don't think it's outlandish to SUGGEST that she's not very fast.. Talk about sensitive.
First of all, if me disagreeing with you is being sensitive then I guess I'm just really soft.

More importantly, I never said that she was 'clearly the most likely winner' nor an 'obvious short horse.' There was reason to think that if she was prepared to run that she would perform well. She was HORRIBLY overbet because of her connections and reputation and was really a terribly gamble at the price which was offered.

I suppose we can disagree on her first six races being mediocre to lousy as her debut was pretty damn good. Her effort in the Hollywood Starlet was also very solid. She was clearly rushed this year and maybe, and I maintain maybe she is at a point where she can show some more potential.

I considered your original statement more of a proclamation than an suggestion. If it was the latter, I think that's perfectly acceptable. Most importantly, we'll find out if she's any good quite soon.

As far as anyone giving you grief about not using the horse in the PK4 or any other multi-race bet, that's mostly nonsense.

NT
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
More importantly, I never said that she was 'clearly the most likely winner' nor an 'obvious short horse.'
I wasn't referring to you.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-mu3y_DIw
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgPX...eature=related
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8G8...eature=related
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
About the same video quality as HRTV.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
so LDK put a horse into the rail.. that horse had no shot

the inconsitency is the problem.

Sunday Break wasn't good enough for anyone to keep replays on but..

he fouls half the field in a made up allowance race. Costing my 20-1 a placing and they do nothing becasue they would have to move Iwin up.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G106KRuoJOM
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0h4...eature=related