Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Steve Byk

Default Ray Paulick launching online 'voice'

FORMER BLOOD-HORSE EDITOR LAUNCHES NEXT-GENERATION ONLINE THOROUGHBRED RACING AND BREEDING PUBLICATION

PaulickReport.com New Independent Industry Voice to Focus on Thoroughbred Business, Politics, People, Sport

For 15 years, Ray Paulick was a leading industry voice as the editor in chief of the Kentucky-based magazine, The Blood-Horse, and his weekly "What's Going on Here" commentary was a "must read" for people throughout the Thoroughbred racing and breeding world. On June 16, this highly respected journalist is launching a next generation online publication, the Paulick Report www.paulickreport.com, which aims to be the Thoroughbred industry's independent voice for news, analysis and commentary.

The Paulick Report is modeled after the success of web-based publications including Real Clear Politics, The Huffington Post and Drudge Report. It will break exclusive stories, featuring reporting and analysis on a wide range of topics by veteran award-winning journalist Ray Paulick, who over the past three decades has developed a trusted and informed network of sources throughout the industry.

The Paulick Report also will feature links -- updated throughout the day *-- to global Thoroughbred news and commentary produced by mainstream media and the growing community of knowledgeable bloggers who keep a watchful eye on the racing and breeding industry. In addition, readers will have the opportunity to provide anonymous news tips.

The Paulick Report promises to be relevant, intuitive and independent. "We will combine the orthodoxy of the Wall Street Journal with the cutting edge of Politico and the irreverence of Indian Charlie," said Paulick. "We hope to revolutionize the news coverage of the Thoroughbred industry with quality reporting of the large reservoir of uncovered news, emphasis on breaking the big story and by tapping into the talented army of on-line contributors."

It should be the first and last stop for anyone seeking up-to-date information regarding the Thoroughbred industry. "This industry combines all the ingredients of Wall Street, Washington and Hollywood -- and we plan to bring this out with a laser focus on the business of racing, the politics of the industry and the celebrities of horse racing, including the horses themselves," said Paulick.

WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID ABOUT RAY PAULICK

"What Ray Paulick writes...I read. He's fair, sharp, fearless, and entertaining. I am a fan."
Cot Campbell, Dogwood Stable

"Ray Paulick knows racing inside and out, and for more than fifteen years, he has been one of the most trusted and insightful voices in the sport."
Laura Hillenbrand, author of "Seabiscuit: An American Legend"

"Ray gets it."
Bob Evans, President and CEO, Churchill Downs Inc.

"When I need information for a newspaper column about the breeding industry, I pick up the phone and call Ray Paulick. He knows the nitty-gritty of the business."
Andrew Beyer, Washington Post

"His words and vision are a constant reminder; to succeed we cannot stand still."
Richard B. Shapiro, Chairman, California Horse Racing Board

"Ray Paulick has never been afraid to tackle the hard issues. I will always give credit to his 2003 Blood-Horse commentary on illicit practices at horse sales as the trigger for launching the Sales Integrity Task Force."
Bill Casner, WinStar Farm, Chairman, TOBA

"This blog cannot miss being lively, informative, and controversial."
William Nack, seven-time Eclipse Award-winning writer

"It will be great to hear Ray Paulick's perspective again. It combines the knowledge and integrity to pinpoint our industry's good points, and our flaws."
Ron Charles, COO, Magna Entertainment

"In my many years in the business, I have always found his views to be devoid of self interest, and worthy of thoughtful consideration." Drew Couto, President, Thoroughbred Owners of California

"Ray is bold in what he reports on, has a great understanding of the industry, and his pieces are well researched. He is highly respected and one of my favorite writers."
Former trainer Michael Dickinson, developer of Tapeta Footings track surface

"Ray Paulick's 'What's Going On Here' column was one of the best, most insightful and thought-provoking commentaries on Thoroughbred racing and breeding. It was, to say the least, a 'must read.'"
Alan M. Foreman, Chairman and CEO, Thoroughbred Horsemen's Assn.

"Ray Paulick has been an insightful, independent, articulate voice of integrity in the Thoroughbred industry for many years..."
Charles E. Harris, Chairman and CEO, Harris & Harris Group, Inc.

"With Ray Paulick's history, knowledge and dedication to the industry, this will be interesting reading."
Richard Mandella, Hall of Fame trainer

"It's great to have his mind and pen back on a regular basis!"
Rob Whiteley, Liberation Farm

RAY PAULICK'S BIO

From 1992-2007, Paulick was editor in chief of The Blood-Horse and vice president and editorial director of Blood-Horse Publications, helping transform the Lexington, Ky.-based company from a single-title publishing venture into a multi-media operation that included weekly and monthly magazines, print and electronic newsletters, books and videos, and various online publishing platforms. Honored by the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders with the prestigious Charles W. Engelhard Award, Paulick has made numerous presentations at industry events worldwide, covered racing and breeding on six continents and more than a dozen countries, and has been called upon as an industry expert by leading business publications, television networks, and other media outlets worldwide.

Earlier in his career, Paulick served as managing editor of Thoroughbred Times, Midwest editor of Racing Times, and as a handicapper and editor of Daily Racing Form in Los Angeles. He began his journalism career in 1975 at Field Newspaper Syndicate in Chicago. He currently writes a racing column for espn.com and has been a contributor to Gallop magazine in Japan and the Racing Post in England.

Last edited by Kasept : 06-14-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Flemington

Did he take a page out of the John Piesen playbook?

A Drew Couto endorsement!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Tropical Park

He's certainly has plenty of time to do this. No one has been beating down his door to hire him since he was dumped from the B-H.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchos1
He's certainly has plenty of time to do this. No one has been beating down his door to hire him since he was dumped from the B-H.
Ray's pretty busy actually. I mean, obviously you know better than me, as we only talk a few times a week, so I guess he's been lying to me.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Tropical Park

His visibility since BH has been pretty minimal.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
His visibility since BH has been pretty minimal.
He's been writing for ESPN for a while.

I find it ironic that you recently called me out for my remarks concerning Lauren Stitch but had no problem yourself making a snide, and unqualified, remark about Ray Paulick. Believe me, I couldn't care less what you think of Ray professionally, or even personally, and you should feel free to slam away, but considering your recent assault towards me I find your remarks in this thread to smack of hypocracy.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Oaklawn

This looks like it could be interesting, I'm glad to see him apparently endorsed by the public names mentioned and Blackthroatedwind, who I've thought would be good at this same kind of thing
Old 06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
He's been writing for ESPN for a while.

I find it ironic that you recently called me out for my remarks concerning Lauren Stitch but had no problem yourself making a snide, and unqualified, remark about Ray Paulick. Believe me, I couldn't care less what you think of Ray professionally, or even personally, and you should feel free to slam away, but considering your recent assault towards me I find your remarks in this thread to smack of hypocracy.
I addressed your attacks on Stich because you had cited no specifics and never did. Byk tried to come to your defense and did so later without links to whatever she allegedly said on ATR , but you provided no evidence at all.

As for Paulick, I don't recall seeing even double digit online submissions from him total since his B-H termination. His work there was okay by me and I'd read what he has to offer if it were easily available. But I'd need a search warrant to find any substantial amount of work he has done since his departure from BH. Maybe you can post all of the links so we can all enjoy his wisdom.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I addressed your attacks on Stich because you had cited no specifics and never did. Byk tried to come to your defense and did so later without links to whatever she allegedly said on ATR , but you provided no evidence at all.

I didn't wish to drag out the situation any further because I like Lauren. I am sorry that you find it necessary to insinuate that untrue claims were made, as unlikely as you must know that to be. It is pretty unfortunate that you are suggesting that Steve Byk, your host on this site, the one who pays the bills, would somehow lie in my supposed defense.

I hope that Lauren can find the miniscule amount of work that Ray Paulick has gotten since he left the Bloodhorse so that you, and others who enjoy her work, can at least get a few scraps to sate your appetite. In fact....I hope she gets even more.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Did he take a page out of the John Piesen playbook?

A Drew Couto endorsement!
The endorsements seem like Piesen but Ray Paulick is not a tout. I enjoyed reading his columns at Blood Horse. I'm looking forward to viewing his website.