Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
This group attempts
self-destruction every
other week.

When they make claims like this,
anything legitimate cause attached to them
is rendered suspect.
I'm surprised that PETA doesn't have a rapid response team available after major racing events to capitalize on the attention the media gives to breakdowns. After Bramlage gives his interview, a PETA representative can give their version of events.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Coach Pants

Rabble Rabble Rabble!!

There. They get some attention.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
As if it wasn't difficult enough for this kid, now PETA wants to criticize him and wants him suspended? This sport is in a lot of trouble.
I'm not PETA and I think the kid needs to learn to lay off the whip. Big difference between being all out and being UNCONTROLLABLY all out because some idiot is wailing on you.

Then again, I wasn't exactly thrilled with Ramon's ride in the Fantasy either.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
As if it wasn't difficult enough for this kid, now PETA wants to criticize him and wants him suspended? This sport is in a lot of trouble.

I got 3 phone calls from non racing fans asking if someone died during the Kentucky Derby. They had no idea who had won, but wondered about what happened with the horse that died.
The fact it was a filly makes it even worse in the eyes of the public.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
The fact it was a filly makes it even worse in the eyes of the public.
The fact that this is the one race that non horse racing fans bet and watch all year is why it is so bad. Everyone was watching. The Peta nuts take the stage after the biggest race of the year.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
The fact that this is the one race that non horse racing fans bet and watch all year is why it is so bad. Everyone was watching. The Peta nuts take the stage after the biggest race of the year.
True, but Eight Belles got more than her fair share of attention going into the race because she was a novelty as a filly running against the boys. Even Hillary opined on her chances.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Newmarket

their statement is full of contradictions;

first they say that Eight Belles was "doubtlessly injured before the finish"

then they say well even if the jockey didn't feel anything in advance, then the blame is because they are allowed to whip the horses mercilessly.

these people aren't required to make an sense when they issue a statement.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM
pgardn

These people actually were on top
of the horses being shipped to Mexico
and slaughtered with hammers and ice picks
while in stalls. They actually got photographs.

These horses were basically being tortured
by peasants that had no idea what they were
doing. They got horse blood splashed all over them and
some even got injured when horses went down and
kicked out under stalls. (Some slipped through stalls
designed to keep them upright while they were being
slaughtered)

And then this same group goes and does something so incredibly
stupid as mentioned. Its amazing.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Shame on PETA

Very unfair of PETA to attack young Mr. Saez after such a tragic event. Fortunately, he was not harmed as Eight Belles became injured. All parties are saddened by this untimely event. It hurts to see any racehorse go down and suffer.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
These people actually were on top
of the horses being shipped to Mexico
and slaughtered with hammers and ice picks
while in stalls. They actually got photographs.

These horses were basically being tortured
by peasants that had no idea what they were
doing. They got horse blood splashed all over them and
some even got injured when horses went down and
kicked out under stalls. (Some slipped through stalls
designed to keep them upright while they were being
slaughtered)

And then this same group goes and does something so incredibly
stupid as mentioned. Its amazing.
agreed... for every act of true cruelty that they uncover and try to right, they also manage to come up with the most insane and ridiculous claims that just cause trouble and add insult to injury.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Fairgrounds

I've used this same rant when describing PETA on every occassion when they're brought up. Total Redundancy, but totally worthwhile in explaining how these guys manage to **** up everything they accomplish-

I watch a PETA documentary on how they exposed the many bad, unethical, and unsanitary methods that were used in a slaughter house. It was really good how they exposed this particular slaughter house for all the violations they commited. Their solution?

Do you think it would be "don't buy meat from companies that use this slaughter house"?
Do you think it would be, "write your govt. inspector to get that place shut down"?
Do you think it would be "write the meat companies and stores that use that particular slaughter house for their meat products, and encourage them to quit doing business with the slaughter house"?

All of the above should've been the above responses to the violations committed in that slaughter house. And hopefully, that's what PETA did do. But! They didn't say that's what they did. They just offered 1 solution-

DON'T EAT MEAT.

Are you kidding? That's where they lose people as quick as they reel people in. They did such a great job exposing this slaughter house for it's many violations. That's a great cause too. BUT THEIR SOLUTIONS ARE DOWNRIGHT NUTTY! They lose any shred of credibility anytime they do this too. Idiots.

They were crying for these same animal cruelty messages when Barbaro had his injury too. The night Roy and Gretchen Jackson were on Larry King Live, they had the PETA people on right after... They need a P.R. person to help them focus on the good things they do, like exposing wrong-doings, but they also need a buffer person to tell them "they're nuts" and to "shut up" when they try to cross the line agin and again.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Hialeah Park

NASCAR, Formula One etc have horrific crashes that many cheer for and many HUMANS die in and then AOL features..

http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/star-...02165709990002

something doesn't seem right here..
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Hialeah Park

I have to say the local paper in San Diego decided it was important to show the filly broken down on the front of the sports page...can't understand why they think showing this is actually newsworthy. There is absolutely no need for these graphic pictures to be included ....very very disturbing...shame on them.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Churchill Downs

Default PETA's latest endeavour

Why not suspend the Vet, trainer, owner and all the people who bet on her?

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Churchill Downs

sorry,

did not realize it was already posted
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I remain a PETA member because they alone have the muscle and will-power to speak for the animals world-wide who suffer unbelievable abuse...as Pgardn and others have documented, they do so much good...but the public perception is distorted due to episodes like this! Working in animal rescue, many times I have felt the anger and frustration...so easy to seek blame! This certainly appears to be a tragic event that simply "happened"...blame must take a back seat to sorrow. Do we need to look at whip use in this country? I believe the answer is "yes"...other parts of the world have drastically reduced whip usage without damaging the sport, I think we should also. Surfaces? it's still early but the stats clearly show that while number of injuries remain somewhat constant with poly surfaces (compared to dirt), the number of catastrophic injuries is statistically significantly reduced...we must place horse (and jockey) welfare above handicapping concerns here! So...yes, PETA has valid points here....but attacking this young man is clearly wrong. I agree that PETA is it's own worst enemy many times...but I understand the emotional context from which these actions materialize. There simply is no justification for slaughtering animals in cruel and vicious acts of barbarism, whether it's peasants in Mexico, slaughterhouse employees in Canada, Michael Vick in the US or YUM Brands to produce KFC chicken. Then there is "research" for drug and cosmetic companies...the list of abuses go on seemingly forever. Yes, PETA often behaves badly and I feel "gets it wrong" in regards to racing...but at least they are heard...and someone has to speak up! RIP Eight Belles! My heart goes out to her connections and the brave young man who rode her!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
I remain a PETA member because they alone have the muscle and will-power to speak for the animals world-wide who suffer unbelievable abuse...as Pgardn and others have documented, they do so much good...but the public perception is distorted due to episodes like this! Working in animal rescue, many times I have felt the anger and frustration...so easy to seek blame! This certainly appears to be a tragic event that simply "happened"...blame must take a back seat to sorrow. Do we need to look at whip use in this country? I believe the answer is "yes"...other parts of the world have drastically reduced whip usage without damaging the sport, I think we should also. Surfaces? it's still early but the stats clearly show that while number of injuries remain somewhat constant with poly surfaces (compared to dirt), the number of catastrophic injuries is statistically significantly reduced...we must place horse (and jockey) welfare above handicapping concerns here! So...yes, PETA has valid points here....but attacking this young man is clearly wrong. I agree that PETA is it's own worst enemy many times...but I understand the emotional context from which these actions materialize. There simply is no justification for slaughtering animals in cruel and vicious acts of barbarism, whether it's peasants in Mexico, slaughterhouse employees in Canada, Michael Vick in the US or YUM Brands to produce KFC chicken. Then there is "research" for drug and cosmetic companies...the list of abuses go on seemingly forever. Yes, PETA often behaves badly and I feel "gets it wrong" in regards to racing...but at least they are heard...and someone has to speak up! RIP Eight Belles! My heart goes out to her connections and the brave young man who rode her!
I think many here agree with PETA's message, just not their methods. Do you/can you try and reign in the zealouts who destroy any postive PR you could gain?