Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Golden Gate

Default Will Any Pletcher Horses Have Enough Graded Earnings?

Right now, I think the leading graded earning Pletcher horse is Atoned with $130,000 (after his 4th in today's Illinois Derby) -- $130,000 probably would not make the field. Of course, Monba and Cowboy Cal still have one more prep to run and one of his deep pocket owners could make a purchase between now and May 3.

It is interesting to note that El Gato Malo only has $130,000, Denis of Cork only has $165,000, Yankee Bravo only has $105,000. Denis of Cork might have a shot to get in.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahadur
Right now, I think the leading graded earning Pletcher horse is Atoned with $130,000 (after his 4th in today's Illinois Derby) -- $130,000 probably would not make the field. Of course, Monba and Cowboy Cal still have one more prep to run and one of his deep pocket owners could make a purchase between now and May 3.

It is interesting to note that El Gato Malo only has $130,000, Denis of Cork only has $165,000, Yankee Bravo only has $105,000. Denis of Cork might have a shot to get in.
It is hard to believe that El Gato Malo or Denis of Cork would still be considered for the Derby after todays dismal showings. Of course nothing is that unusual when it comes to derby fever.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Flemington

I think Denis Of Cork will run in the Derby - I actually think he had the ultimate no shot trip today and his performance - while not exactly impressive - was significantly better than people will rate it...and really about as good as all of his other performances.

He went from a little underrated after the FG win, to clearly overrated after the Southwest win, and back to underrated after his laughably horrific result today.

You see stuff like that almost never.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I think Denis Of Cork will run in the Derby - I actually think he had the ultimate no shot trip today and his performance - while not exactly impressive - was significantly better than people will rate it...and really about as good as all of his other performances.

He went from a little underrated after the FG win, to clearly overrated after the Southwest win, and back to underrated after his laughably horrific result today.

You see stuff like that almost never.
Prior to the ducking the Wood Memorial for this softer spot the connection said he will peak in his next start. If you like him you should get boxcar odds in four weeks.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
Prior to the ducking the Wood Memorial for this softer spot the connection said he will peak in his next start. If you like him you should get boxcar odds in four weeks.
That's the next great excuse. It takes the place of "needs blinkers" and "cuppy track". "We wanted to run poorly so we can peak next time"
Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4

Denis of Cork should get a much faster pace to run at in the Derby than he got at Hawthorne today. Also, his maiden win was at Churchill in closing fashion. I imagine his connections will try to get Albarado or Borel (who won the Derby last year on a closer) back on the horse for the Derby.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Flemington

I normally pay very little attention to riders - but yeah - someone a little stronger would help the horse a little.

Borel would be a great fit for that horse.

He might get him stopped cold in that big field - but he would be more likely than anyone to pull a rabbit out of his ass.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
That's the next great excuse. It takes the place of "needs blinkers" and "cuppy track". "We wanted to run poorly so we can peak next time"
I hear ya, and it's not an excuse I buy.

However, watching the few prior races on that card - both the rail and speed seemed to be very powerful. That coupled with the wide trip while rating off a slow pace make for authentic excuses for DoC.

If you remember last years ILL Derby - they ran 10 races - the leader after the first call won 7 of them and finished 2nd in each of the 3 others. Some horses were nice prices.

Cowtown Cat parlayed his tremendously bias aided ILL Derby win that year into a 20th place KY Derby finish and a 4th place finish in the Ohio Derby at even money one start after that.

Not saying the bias was as powerful as last year - but from watching a few races prior - it certainly appeared the rail was tremendous and speed was carrying.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I hear ya, and it's not an excuse I buy.

However, watching the few prior races on that card - both the rail and speed seemed to be very powerful. That coupled with the wide trip while rating off a slow pace make for authentic excuses for DoC.

If you remember last years ILL Derby - they ran 10 races - the leader after the first call won 7 of them and finished 2nd in each of the 3 others. Some horses were nice prices.

Cowtown Cat parlayed his tremendously bias aided ILL Derby win that year into a 20th place KY Derby finish and a 4th place finish in the Ohio Derby at even money one start after that.

Not saying the bias was as powerful as last year - but from watching a few races prior - it certainly appeared the rail was tremendous and speed was carrying.

That's an understatement and that's Hawthorne. And give ET Baird credit where due..He is a good second tier jock and is excellent when on the engine, especially at a track he knows inside out.

I'm not sure who could have closed there today, so maybe DOC gets a semi-pass...??
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahadur

where is cowboy cal's next prep ?
i hated dennis going in to today, but if borel rides, he will be one of my top choices for the derby, because of the reasson in another thread, insane amount of speed, crazy closer coming from well out of it
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Del Mar

CC is going in the Bluegrass. . . PLEASE PLEASE stay away from Denis. . . I have a future on him and I'd like for there to be at least some chance of it coming in. . .
Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
CC is going in the Bluegrass. . . PLEASE PLEASE stay away from Denis. . . I have a future on him and I'd like for there to be at least some chance of it coming in. . .
listen i have a number of winners today. so i think the bad streak is over. and i think dennis will be over 30-1 if he even makes the derby.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Churchill Downs

bluegrass is coming up deep, dam.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Flemington

Cowboy Cal hasn't worked since March 22nd....

While nothing has been reported about him that I have seen in the press - I wouldn't exactly count on him running in the Blue Grass until I've heard conclusive word of it.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Cowboy Cal hasn't worked since March 22nd....

While nothing has been reported about him that I have seen in the press - I wouldn't exactly count on him running in the Blue Grass until I've heard conclusive word of it.
This was in the Keeneland barn notes. If he doesn't show up by Monday then there is something wrong:

Tristan Barry, assistant to Todd Pletcher, said Toyota Blue Grass hopefuls Cowboy Cal and Monba would work “Saturday, Sunday or Monday. He (Pletcher) hasn’t made up his mind.” Barry said on Tuesday that Monba might not run in the Toyota Blue Grass on April 12 but instead start in the Coolmore Lexington (G2) the following week.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Oaklawn

Denis of Cork will be a nice bet in the Derby if he makes it in the field. He needs pace, which he will assuredly get. The entire race shape was 100% against him today, and when he was being nudged down the backstretch, he never even inched-up.

A lot of Derby winners have clunked in their prep. Not touting him as a Derby winner, but they don't have to win every race, especially in a year like this.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Arlington Park

The last couple of Derbies have been pretty much formful with chalky results especially for the Derby. I like it being this wide open with no clearcut favorite, makes it a very attractive betting race with a possible big payoff.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Oaklawn

Does Cowboy Cal have graded earnings from his grass races? I imagine so but haven't seen his name on any of the lists.
Speaking of Pletcher 3yo's, what happened to The Leopard?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Del Mar

Cal has $57,600 in graded earnings
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Saratoga

Hawthorne's rail was pavement today, watch the race that Master Commander was in. He was hopeless around the turn, smoked, and all of a sudden he comes flying up the rail again.

Congrats to ET Baird in looks like what be a Derby mount for him, and Lara and Louie Roussel....