Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Flemington

Default Nick Saban is a JERK!

I have always thought that he was an overated coach and a pompous A-Hole. I didn't think he was a stupid individual. But, To use 9/11 and Pearl Harbor in the same paragraph with losing football games is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How do you compare the two most deadliest attacks on the country, to losing football games? I know that they are trying to spin it as a coming together as a team thing (like the country came together after 9/11). It is just a ludicrous statement / rallying ploy that is very insensitive to the people involved with 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (mind you that both incidents led to war). I guess he is just a stupid man that puts football ahead of everything else.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Arlington Park

did you hear the press conference? or did you just read the POOR reporting of this?
he used the word catastrophic event, then searched for an example. granted they were poor examples.
more nick saban and Bama bashing by the press, get over it.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
did you hear the press conference? or did you just read the POOR reporting of this?
he used the word catastrophic event, then searched for an example. granted they were poor examples. more nick saban and Bama bashing by the press, get over it.
DD, yes I did see the confrence. I thought his examples were terrible and I thought that I conveyed that in my post. There must be better examples for him to use than the 2 most deadliest inncidents in U.S. history. Speaking as a person who knew 5 people that died on 9/11 and witnessed the second plane go into the tower, I feel that Mr. Saban trying to say that Alabama football is going to be different after losing to Miss St. and ULM (catastrophic events). I believe that he insinuated that losing those 2 games was a catastrophy. Just that by itself is ridiculous, but then loosley mentioning other catastrophes (9/11 & Pearl Harbor) is insane. He did an extemely poor job trying to get his point across!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
he used the word catastrophic event, then searched for an example. granted they were poor examples.
more nick saban and Bama bashing by the press, get over it.
Saban represents Bama well, as trash.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I have always thought that he was an overated coach and a pompous A-Hole. I didn't think he was a stupid individual. But, To use 9/11 and Pearl Harbor in the same paragraph with losing football games is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How do you compare the two most deadliest attacks on the country, to losing football games? I know that they are trying to spin it as a coming together as a team thing (like the country came together after 9/11). It is just a ludicrous statement / rallying ploy that is very insensitive to the people involved with 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (mind you that both incidents led to war). I guess he is just a stupid man that puts football ahead of everything else.
Try not to take things too seriously... it was a poor analogy, but I highly doubt that he was attempting to demean 9/11.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan
Saban represents Bama well, as trash.
Coming from someone who supports a team coached by the 'trashiest' coach of them all (Weis), this is pretty funny.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Keeneland

I don't care for Saban, but watch this if you get a chance... if you can fast forward to the 18th minute, you will see Saban in a new light. Wow.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1315702231
Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

yet another example of the media trying to create a story that really isn't there. alabama lost to ulm, that is a catastrophe for the bama team, and for recruiting. he wasn't likening the event to 9-11, he just said that just like people coming together after a catastrophe like that, his team would move forward after this loss.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Oaklawn

It was a horrible analogy & he comes across as an arrogant egomaniac, in every minute, including the 18th.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
yet another example of the media trying to create a story that really isn't there. alabama lost to ulm, that is a catastrophe for the bama team, and for recruiting. he wasn't likening the event to 9-11, he just said that just like people coming together after a catastrophe like that, his team would move forward after this loss.
I do not think the media needs to come up another story, the last two losses should provide enough material. Not to mention that they have Auburn this week. Like I said, I just believe that he did a very poor job trying to convey his message. There was no reason for him to bring up those events. I also think using the word catastropic in terms of football loses and or seasons is a bit over the top. Come on Nick, this is college football. How many people in the country said on Saturday that, "Wow that is a catastropic loss for Alabama" Get real you egotistical maniac. And if he has to do something to motivate his team for Auburn, he is in really big trouble. If they can't get up for that game then maybe he should call the Dolphins back.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Flemington

I think to him(Saban) it was like 9-11,but he was stupid for saying it.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
How many people in the country said on Saturday that, "Wow that is a catastrophic loss for Alabama"
math, you are from nj? you and everyone else outside of the SEC don't understand. in the world of the SEC and Alabama losing to msu and ulm in consecutive weeks, IS catastrophic. danzig and Cajun are SEC'ers they understand. it's the SEC football culture. saban's comments were poor but not meant to offend.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Flemington

If they beat Auburn this weekend, is everything in the Crimson Tide nation ok again?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
if he has to do something to motivate his team for Auburn, he is in really big trouble. If they can't get up for that game then maybe he should call the Dolphins back.
we've heard rumors all season that saban inherited BIG bunch of BAD attitudes. the coaching staff figured after the ut victory the bad attitudes had been fixed. it is now appearent after the embarrassment of the last 2 weeks the only fix will be a purge the program.
a big number of the bad apples graduate, the rest will have to be run off or wait another graduating class.
by Alabama and saban's standards, efforts like the last 2 weeks are completely UNACCEPTABLE!
do i expect any better this week? no. do you have ANY idea how bad it rips my guts out to type this? or saturday night to sit and watch auburn beat us for a 6th straight time? and know their talent isn't that much better than Bama's.
so yes saban is tring to get this bunch to put up a fight against the barners.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Stop being such whiney people. So what if he made the analogy. As pointed out, in Alabama, it's probably very close to accurate. This reminds me of when everyone was in an uproar over Kellen Winslow's comments about being a soldier and going to war. Football is a violent game. It is a battle out there. A player can lose his ability to walk or his life on any given play. It's not for whimps. It's not played with skirts on. It's war out there. Anyone with half a brain should be able to understand where Saban or any other coach or athlete is coming from when they say these things. I remember some years back when a player from the Miami Hurricanes, I believe it was Jerome Brown, showed up in fatigues. He made a comment like "you wanna go to war, I'll take you to war." I guess since we weren't at war at the time, nobody was upset by it. But it was no different. Take off the skirts and quit crying.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Flemington

Article from todays NY Dailynews.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...iss/index.html
Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 AM
The Curragh

What did people say about Kellen Winslow when he was at Miami and went off saying something along the lines of, "I'm a f-ing soldier". We ripped him apart and said how terrible of a comment that was and how immature he is and blah blah blah.

Nick Saban says something that is much worse than calling yourself a soldier, and you want to defend him?

Coaches should be treated and punished the same as the players, it's just to bad it doesn't happen.

Saban is classless, and will turn his back on anyone if he has a better offer on the table.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Saban is classless, and will turn his back on anyone if he has a better offer on the table.
Agreed, but I still don't think he meant to insult anyone. People are reading too much into what he said... JMO.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Hopefully that will come from Notre Dame
Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
It was a horrible analogy & he comes across as an arrogant egomaniac, in every minute, including the 18th.

Someone like that should be able to come up with a better analogy.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA