Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Oaklawn

Default Surf Cat out till Oak Tree

I was in Las Vegas for the weekend and just read that Bruce Headley will keep Surf Cat out till Oak tree. Too bad.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I was in Las Vegas for the weekend and just read that Bruce Headley will keep Surf Cat out till Oak tree. Too bad.

That bites

As the #1 Surf Cat fan, I am heartbroken. But when he returns, he will be the monster that he was early in the year.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
That bites

As the #1 Surf Cat fan, I am heartbroken. But when he returns, he will be the monster that he was early in the year.
I dunno, its never a sure thing that you can crank one back up and get to the form that they were in prior to a layoff. And it will be too late to cycle him back into form for the Bc or major races. I bet they wish that they hadnt wasted that last great race in a non consequential race. They could have taken a shot in a grade one and may have had themselves a much better sire prospect and not had to sweat still winning a grade one and getting him back in form. Great horse though, hell of a lot of fun to watch run, hope he comes back ok.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
That bites

We don't know that for sure. We don't even know what was wrong with him. If we don't know what was wrong with him, there is no way to guarantee that he will come back better than ever. I know they originally said that he had a bruised foot. This may or may not be true. Often times when trainers don't want to tell you what the problem is, they will just say that it's a bruised foot. In this particular caase, I have no idea whether it's true or not.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
We don't know that for sure. We don't even know what was wrong with him. If we don't know what was wrong with him, there is no way to guarantee that he will come back better than ever. I know they originally said that he had a bruised foot. This may or may not be true. Often times when trainers don't want to tell you what the problem is, they will just say that it's a bruised foot. In this particular caase, I have no idea whether it's true or not.
I was kind of thinking the same thing Rup. Foot bruises can be deep at times but it seems like a rather excessive layoff for one.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I dunno, its never a sure thing that you can crank one back up and get to the form that they were in prior to a layoff. And it will be too late to cycle him back into form for the Bc or major races. I bet they wish that they hadnt wasted that last great race in a non consequential race. They could have taken a shot in a grade one and may have had themselves a much better sire prospect and not had to sweat still winning a grade one and getting him back in form. Great horse though, hell of a lot of fun to watch run, hope he comes back ok.
Im thinking whatever problem he has might be the reason for not trying a Grade 1 last time, it might also be signifigant enough for them not to make him run harder than he has to. I dont know much about him other than that when they train him they do it at about 4:45 am when the track opens cause he is a freakin nut job. I bet he is in Bruce's back yard as we speak.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Im thinking whatever problem he has might be the reason for not trying a Grade 1 last time, it might also be signifigant enough for them not to make him run harder than he has to. I dont know much about him other than that when they train him they do it at about 4:45 am when the track opens cause he is a freakin nut job. I bet he is in Bruce's back yard as we speak.
Honu...congrats on The Tin Man hun..
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Honu...congrats on The Tin Man hun..
Many Mahalos

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
eurobounce

WOW--maybe my prediction about Surf Cat retiring will come true--lol.