Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Flemington

Default Are these really Hall of Fame stats?

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

Career NBA 1178 1053 34.9 6.3 13.3 .473 0.8 2.5 .326 2.7 3.8 .704 1.8 4.6 6.4 5.2 2.0 0.8 2.8 2.8 16.1

Not in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Pimlico

My reason he shouldnt be anywhere near the place without paying admission is when it was finally his time, he begged off bkz Kukoc got the shot..He was a good second fiddle who did nothing without MJ.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenroypa View Post
My reason he shouldnt be anywhere near the place without paying admission is when it was finally his time, he begged off bkz Kukoc got the shot..He was a good second fiddle who did nothing without MJ.

Its an insult to the HOF. He was a good NBA player, who without Jordan would have been average and NEVER EVER EVER EVER WOULD HAVE WON A TITLE. I hope Jordan takes a big shot at him, I think MJ is doing the speech or whatEver for him.

Last edited by RockHardTen1985 : 08-10-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Louisiana Downs

7 time all star, 7 time all nba 1st team defender, 7 all nba teams, voted as top 50 player of all time....the whole he was nothing without Jordan argument aside, dude is a hall of famer
Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Sha Tin

Uh...ok sure PG.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Uh...ok sure PG.

You like him? You of all people?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Its an insult to the HOF. He was a good NBA player, who without Jordan would have been average and NEVER EVER EVER EVER WOULD HAVE WON A TITLE. I hope Jordan takes a big shot at him, I think MJ is doing the speech or whatEver for him.
Can you name all the forwards in NBA history who had more steals and/or more assists than Scottie Pippen?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2 View Post
Can you name all the forwards in NBA history who had more steals and/or more assists than Scottie Pippen?
Hint: It's a trick question.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
You like him? You of all people?
It isn't a matter of liking him. But he was clearly one of the best players in league history. Name a better all-around defender.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Name a better all-around defender.
This is the key when discussing Pippen. He was obviously somewhat limited as a half-court offensive threat, but not many guys could legitimately guard the other team's point guard and their power forward (and the positions in between) at such a high level.
He was a great one-on-one defender, a great help defender, a great full-court defender, and a great half-court defender. You couldn't ask for any more on that side of the ball.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
It isn't a matter of liking him. But he was clearly one of the best players in league history. Name a better all-around defender.
Rodman
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Rodman
That was my answer as well.....unless B Russell is allowed?

This will set off an explosion but Hakeem deserves at least honorable mention.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
That was my answer as well.....unless B Russell is allowed?

This will set off an explosion but Hakeem deserves at least honorable mention.
I think Kobe in his younger days deserves a mention. He will never get the credit he deserves as a defender but when he was in his younger days, he was about as tough and as versatile of a lockdown defender as there was in the league. He was capable of locking down guys from Allen Iverson to Tracy Mcgrady.

Shaun Marion in his prime was extremely versatile although one certainly wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Pippen.

Michael Cooper was pretty darn versatile. Think about some of the assignments he had.

Bruce Bowen and Ron Artest. Neither of those guys played the passing lanes like Pippen though although I think Artest was better in the post against the more physcial swing men. Still, neither would be in Pippen's class all the way around considering Pippen had more responsibility at the other end.

What made Pippen unique was that he locked down, could play the lanes and then at the other end he ran the offense half the time and for all intents was the second option in a pretty potent arsenal. I guess when you factor all that stuff in you could certainly make a compelling case for Pippen. Although, if just looking at the defensive side purely, Rodman to me was more versatile. He could cover a guy like Shaq and then turn around and cover a guy like Dominique Wilkins. Pippen couldn't do that.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I think Kobe in his younger days deserves a mention. He will never get the credit he deserves as a defender but when he was in his younger days, he was about as tough and as versatile of a lockdown defender as there was in the league. He was capable of locking down guys from Allen Iverson to Tracy Mcgrady.

Shaun Marion in his prime was extremely versatile although one certainly wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Pippen.

Michael Cooper was pretty darn versatile. Think about some of the assignments he had.

Bruce Bowen and Ron Artest. Neither of those guys played the passing lanes like Pippen though although I think Artest was better in the post against the more physcial swing men. Still, neither would be in Pippen's class all the way around considering Pippen had more responsibility at the other end.

What made Pippen unique was that he locked down, could play the lanes and then at the other end he ran the offense half the time and for all intents was the second option in a pretty potent arsenal. I guess when you factor all that stuff in you could certainly make a compelling case for Pippen. Although, if just looking at the defensive side purely, Rodman to me was more versatile. He could cover a guy like Shaq and then turn around and cover a guy like Dominique Wilkins. Pippen couldn't do that.
no one could cover shaq in his prime, unless you are counting fouling him and then bricking up 2 air balls on the ft's
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Rodman
I would still take Pippen. Could guard 1's, 2's, 3's and smaller 4's. Interior defending is easier than perimeter defending. Though it is really splitting hairs.

Interesting no one said the obvious name. MJ.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Jerome Park

I think Rodman has been the best rebounder in the past 20 years (was gonna say my lifetime, but that includes the 80's and I dont remember basketball from the 80's). He really cared about getting boards.

I also think Shaq was overrated. A guy like that should have averaged 20 boards a night. He should have been like Wilt.

Howard has the chance of being the best rebounder, but he doesnt have the killer instinct that Rodman had.. sometimes he does, sometimes he doesnt.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Sha Tin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hallof...=100812-pippen