Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
This is a central point in the wrong-headedness of renaming stakes. Whether it's naming this race for Zenyatta, or let's say the Kilroe Mile after Bobby Frankel, you effectively diminish the accomplishments of the previous moniker-holder and quash the intended honor of the entire process. It demonstrates complete and utter disregard for the history of the sport. As I said last night, by doing this, it says that when a horse comes along better than Zenyatta in 20 years, they'd paint over Zenyatta too... It's a self-defeating action that cheapens what should be your most sacrosanct events. It's pathetic.
Well put... I'm all for "honoring" horses with naming races after them, but this re-naming stuff has to stop.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Coach Pants

They should put a condition on the race "for horses who haven't raced outside of California this year".
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
They should put a condition on the race "for horses who haven't raced outside of California this year".
Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think there was a PG1985 interview, if I recall, where he mentioned that every runner beaten by Rachel from the Woodward, Preakness, and KY Oaks all won their next starts in Grade I company.

I think he said the average winning margin for those horses combined was something like 14 lengths, too, and one of them did it, winning by 25 lengths, carrying 170 pounds over jumps on an alternate portion of a dirt course giving the rest of the field a quarter mile headstart and running uphill both ways...and her rider said that horse is even better on the turf too!

That's just one of the really exceptional things that I pulled from my memory to clearly indicate how superior Rachel is in every way, about everything.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Jerome Park

Where has PG/RHT been?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Where has PG/RHT been?
Getting up to speed at his new job at Bob Gary Racing.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

you are joking, right?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
More dead weight??
Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCat
Rtotally a great race! Can I run in it next year?! I'd so stay a virgin to win a race named after me! OH MY GOD!"[/i]
That actually almost happened in the early 1970s. A gelding named Petty Officer won three consecutive runnings of the Timeform Gold Trophy at Redcar (Britain), so they renamed it for him. And the next year he ran second in the race named for him.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
This is a central point in the wrong-headedness of renaming stakes. Whether it's naming this race for Zenyatta, or let's say the Kilroe Mile after Bobby Frankel, you effectively diminish the accomplishments of the previous moniker-holder and quash the intended honor of the entire process. It demonstrates complete and utter disregard for the history of the sport. As I said last night, by doing this, it says that when a horse comes along better than Zenyatta in 20 years, they'd paint over Zenyatta too... It's a self-defeating action that cheapens what should be your most sacrosanct events. It's pathetic.
A different tune will be sung when they name a race after RA.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Thank you. I was upset when great mares like Firenze and Maskette were erased by the NYRA. Why was there a need to change the Santa Susana S, which had years of history, to the Santa Anita Oaks? Because we idiots couldn't figure out that the Santa Susana was their Oaks race? Ditto the Oak Tree Derby (and Volante is actually buried on the grounds, so rolling over in his grave when his name was taken off the race might have had an effect!)
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
A different tune will be sung when they name a race after RA.
No one's criticizing naming a race after Zenyatta. They're criticizing renaming the Lady's Secret after Zenyatta. There are races with names that are frankly less controversial if you wanted to rename something but I'm sure they wanted to rename a G1. The Mosses should've gone with their first instinct.

Was there any reluctance to start a new race based on things like having to make the minimum purse for a G1 or having to go through the effort of getting the race up to that level without the momentum the Lady's Secret has? I guess if they take a G2 or G3 and slap her name on there, trying to get it up to G1, there'd be a gap for non-G1 horses trying to get a graded win.

Rachel will undoubtedly get a race named after her but there are ways to go about it that are better than others. We'll judge that situation when it happens. Gonna take a guess we're looking at CD, Pimlico, or Saratoga although Monmouth is certainly not beyond the realm. It's just the Oaks, Preakness, and Woodward were particularly stunning within her own personal history. At least that's what I figure, but her whole career's pretty incredible. I dunno what Saratoga's general habit has been with naming races after horses as compared to CD or Pim.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
No one's criticizing naming a race after Zenyatta. They're criticizing renaming the Lady's Secret after Zenyatta. There are races with names that are frankly less controversial if you wanted to rename something but I'm sure they wanted to rename a G1. The Mosses should've gone with their first instinct.

Was there any reluctance to start a new race based on things like having to make the minimum purse for a G1 or having to go through the effort of getting the race up to that level without the momentum the Lady's Secret has? I guess if they take a G2 or G3 and slap her name on there, trying to get it up to G1, there'd be a gap for non-G1 horses trying to get a graded win.

Rachel will undoubtedly get a race named after her but there are ways to go about it that are better than others. We'll judge that situation when it happens. Gonna take a guess we're looking at CD, Pimlico, or Saratoga although Monmouth is certainly not beyond the realm. It's just the Oaks, Preakness, and Woodward were particularly stunning within her own personal history. At least that's what I figure, but her whole career's pretty incredible. I dunno what Saratoga's general habit has been with naming races after horses as compared to CD or Pim.

exactly! zenyatta may deserve a race, but why suddenly doesn't lady's secret?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
The Curragh

Something like the NYRA Mile being renamed the Cigar Mile was a good idea, since it didn't already have a legendary horse in its title in the first place.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
As goes with most folks this day in time -

history means nothing. What have you done for ME lately is all that matters.

This is the main reason why I know longer have the love for motorsports that I once loved, they have seemed to forget what helped get them, as an industry, to today.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Santa Anita

Is anybody actually naming a race after Bobby or was that just part of an example to make a point?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Suffolk Downs

I think they should name the 4th race at Charlestown for RA -- formerly known as the "Jimbo's Bar & Grill" purse...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Suffolk Downs

Zenyatta should come out of retirement (if she really is retired) and win the Grade 1 Zenyattta next year. It will be the first time a horse has won a race named after themselves. Then if she goes to Churchill and wins the Classic next year, we should go back in time and award her the HOY for both 2009 and 2010.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

This is an easy one. Just rename the Kentucky Oaks the Rachel Alexandra iz Hella Awesome!!!1!11!! Stakes. That should one-up these whores.

Seriously, what a bunch of jokers behind this horse. Mike Smith says she's even better on the dirt. Whoever was conducting the interview should've given that toolbox a swirlie right then and there.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Suffolk Downs

[quote=ateamstupid]This is an easy one. Just rename the Kentucky Oaks the Rachel Alexandra iz Hella Awesome!!!1!11!! Stakes. That should one-up these whores.

Seriously, what a bunch of jokers behind this horse. Mike Smith says she's even better on the dirt. Whoever was conducting the interview should've given that toolbox a swirlie right then and there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose you know better than the jockey that's been on her all her life.