Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I told you man, the most amazing thing about Zenyatta is her ability to make people that otherwise seem normal, show themselves to be retarded.
Absolutely. It's amazing.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Let me guess....you're a staunch right winger.

Am I close?

Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreen View Post
http://thesaturdaypost.org/blog/

If Zenyatta isn't awarded the title she rightfully deserves, it will be because a majority of voters have little understanding of what's in the best interest of racing. In my 40+ years as a racing fan, no single horse has done more for racing in a single year than Zenyatta. Rewarding her for this singular accomplishment transcends all other reasons for casting a HOTY ballot.
You must be kidding. Where were you in 1973? I won't even bring up the additional obvious examples over the past 40 years because 1973 alone slams your statement into Zen-la-la-land.

Yes, Zenyatta brought a lot of attention to racing this year. That's great. She brought attention to a sport, our sport, that is not as popular as it was in years past. Remember, it used to be called the sport of kings. I for one, and I'm sure many others do too, appreciate ANY horse that brings positive attention to horse racing.

Thank you Zen. I've enjoyed watching you run. You're beautiful, a good dancer, you seem to have your taste for alcohol under control, and I wish I were tall and had long, lanky legs like you.

Horse of the year? Not so sure. I will say this. I for one will be very happy when Zen goes off to her first romantic encounter. Hopefully the number of Zen threads will decrease. I wish her a long, happy, and healthy horse life. But, enough already.

Ahh, what I'm I thinking. Everyone will be arguing over who she should have been bred to.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Randwyck

"Thank you, sir - I'll have another"

Stephanie Diaz of The Pilot out of Southern Pines, NC

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/no...be-horse-year/

The Moss's are very kind of OLD FRIENDS (and they are, I don't deny them that), but is that a good enough reason?

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
"Thank you, sir - I'll have another"

Stephanie Diaz of The Pilot out of Southern Pines, NC

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/no...be-horse-year/

The Moss's are very kind of OLD FRIENDS (and they are, I don't deny them that), but is that a good enough reason?
That woman is a hack who had an Eclipse Award taken from her for plagiarism.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
This is rude.
But true. It's amazing what one can learn by being a member DT .

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/stephanie-diaz

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
But true. It's amazing what one can learn by being a member DT .

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/stephanie-diaz
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
since this year was in line with other churchill years attendance-wise, i doubt next year will be any different.
and the TV ratings?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
and the TV ratings?
I need an honest answer here. If another horse is given the same kind of media push that Zenyatta got this year, do you think the ratings will be similar if not the same?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Flemington

What other horses deserves the push? She earned it, BRO.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Keeneland

That wasn't the question.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
and the TV ratings?
who knows? i can't see the future, can you? besides, didn't zenyatta run in the classic last year? what happened with the ratings?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus View Post
Racing received more attention related to Zenyatta in the two weeks leading up to the Breeders' Cup, but did not receive added attention throughout the year on her account.
So, in other words, you feel that Zenyatta was bad for the sport.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreen View Post
Aside from reminding us what a true champion is like, she garnered the "positive" attention of millions of people throughout the year and was responsible for BC attendance, handle and ratings records.
you got one out of five correct.

20%

F
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I need an honest answer here. If another horse is given the same kind of media push that Zenyatta got this year, do you think the ratings will be similar if not the same?
If another horse does enough to generate them, yes. It would need to be a triple crown winner, but yea it could happen.

I just am dumbfounded by the discussion that she did not transcend the normal viewer ship of the sport, that somehow she has done little to advance the sport. I can find countless posts from around the net that would make it sound like there are just as many crazy people on both sides of the fence.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
If another horse does enough to generate them, yes. It would need to be a triple crown winner, but yea it could happen.

I just am dumbfounded by the discussion that she did not transcend the normal viewer ship of the sport, that somehow she has done little to advance the sport. I can find countless posts from around the net that would make it sound like there are just as many crazy people on both sides of the fence.
One could argue Goldikova has certainly done enough to generate the kind of buzz Zenyatta got this year. If she makes it back next year for the Mile I would hope she gets the kind of media attention she deserves.

You'll get no arguement from me that viewership was up this year because people were drawn in by Zenyatta. What I am saying is, if you give another horse the same kind of push, you will see similar results. Obviously it would have to be a special horse and there aren't many. But horse racing has dropped the ball a lot in terms of marketing.

Isn't it a bit premature to talk about how much she has advanced the sport? Advanced in what way? Because viewership was up for one race? How many of those people are going to watch again? Were any of those people educated about the sport? Were they taught about betting? That is what is going to advance the sport IMO. Not puff pieces full of hyperbole.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

Isn't it a bit premature to talk about how much she has advanced the sport? Advanced in what way? Because viewership was up for one race? How many of those people are going to watch again? Were any of those people educated about the sport? Were they taught about betting? That is what is going to advance the sport IMO. Not puff pieces full of hyperbole.
A European horse who competes once a year here, at a specialized distance no less. Thats never going to draw viewers, even if it was like her 6th in a row.

I guess it could be premature, but the fact is that usually the only press racing gets is because of doping, cheating, breakdowns, etc. From that standpoint alone she has helped racings image.

Viewership was not only up for one race, it was the only race she was in this year that could be monitored because most were not on TV with ratings. I would say the races she was in outside the Cup were more heavily attended, not this year but last as well, compared to previous years. Getting people out to the track is a positive.

I dont know how many are going to watch again, surely some of them, thats a good thing right?

Hopefully they were not educated, this means you are drawing in new fans, I see this as a good thing. Maybe they were just at the starting stages and now understand more than they did, again this is a good thing.

Hopefully on the betting they were wagering on the days they went to the racing, hopefully this part of the sport drew there interest into the sport, the teaching part to me is a self indulging aspect of the game, you learn through experience.

There seems to be this advancement of an idea that star race horses cannot draw in new people to bet, I just disagree. I have explained to you that I was drawn in by Arazi, because of a Nightline puff piece as you say, and I have wagered at least a few hundred grand in my lifetime.

Now if you want to say the mechanics of the game won't keep these people, you know full and well I won't argue, its kinda turned me off to the game.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Keeneland

We'll agree to disagree about how much viewership Goldikova will garner if she is marketed in the same manner as Zenyatta was. People like to think they are seeing something special. That is why 60 Minutes went with the "greatest horse ever" nonsense. That is why the interviewer asked Mike Smith if Zenyatta is better than Secretariat. That's why the talking heads on ESPN's PTI were calling her the best ever before the Classic because she had never lost. Market Goldikova as the best miler ever and throw in the story about her trainer being a former jock, maybe something about what she drinks....ratings gold.

Again, the races she entered were more heavily attended because people wanted to be a part of the experience. How many of those people came again? Considering the state of California racing, I'm not really sure her impact has been anything other than inflated attendance 5 times a year.

I'm not going to assume these new "fans" were educated. I'm not sure why you would. Was there any education in the 60 Minutes piece? How about the ESPN coverage? I didn't see any. I would say your experience with Arazi is more the exception than the rule. Especially when you consider who the focus of the marketing blitz around Zenyatta was targeting.

IMO horse racing needs to try and draw in gamblers and people that follow other sports like football, basketball etc. Football fans pay big money to attend games, buy tons of merchandise and many of them gamble on games. Sports betting is a billion dollar industry by many accounts. I'm glad there was a lot of exposure for the sport, but I just don't know how effective it will be.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
scat daddy

Default 200 or so make the HOY vote?

Who are theses people? I know one (Nick Kling) who Sunday on his weekly show clearly is voting for Zenyatta. Took call after call challenging him on why her and not Blame and he sat there with litle to no response. Really makes one wonder why these selected few have the power to cast a vote and determine the fate of a champion. Turn it over to the true horse person...The Bettor..now that would be something huh...

Scat
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think it's great to assume that Zenyatta's brought people to the sport and all, but really, did she attract any more attention than, say, Big Brown did in 2008? I'd suggest not.