Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Sha Tin

[quote=Riot;811074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
There are literally thousand of cameras at these things. If there was police brutality we would be seeing it and hearing all about it. We aren't.[/QUOT

Uh, yes, we are. At least those of us willing to pay attention - try YouTube, "Boston Occupy Wall Street" Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu63e7QD_5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Swf5...eature=related

Or, Occupy New York, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFfU9kj8P8

But of course, you've already dismissed it as, "made up". Even though the mainstream media isn't showing most of it, but yet it's all over YouTube due to civilian media.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

This is the evidence? Lol
Of all the protests all over the country this is what you have?

Did the police not clearly give ample warning in Boston? One guy falls down? So it is ok to not obey the police now? Please give me a break. The mainstream media isnt showing it because it is hardly newsworthy.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Jerome Park

Fu.ck the Police
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
That $5 billion is tax dollars. These people are supporting what you've said you want, and you're dissing them.
How do we go from spending money that cities dont have to police these protests to this? All tax dollars dont go to the same places. Most city and local tax dollars are used wisely compared to the Federal Govt.

What do I want? Where did I say what I want?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonShell View Post

Did the police not clearly give ample warning in Boston? One guy falls down? So it is ok to not obey the police now? Please give me a break. The mainstream media isnt showing it because it is hardly newsworthy.
What's the emoticon for, "I simply refuse to consider any evidence that is contrary to the opinion I have already formed" ?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

[quote=Cannon Shell;811098]
Quote:

Whenever even one person is injured or worse during a peaceful protest, it's newsworthy! We have taken the moral high ground in condemning crackdowns on peaceful demonstrations throughout the world yet posters here want to rationalize same when it occurs here...sure, the death tole hasn't started...yet. But history tells us it may at any time...whenever common folk take to the streets to demand their rights, the status quo reacts the same...the copper bosses didn't hire thugs to brutalize workers, Joe Hill wasn't railroaded, Dr King was a Commie troublemaker and Bull Connor a loyal civil servant, Kent State and Jackson State were the fault of radical troublemakers etc etc...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
That's why they want a transaction tax - slows that way down.
Been on a lot of tables for a long time and is likely to stay there. The issues will be in wording the document to make it seem (and I hate using this word) fair for everyone. I should not be discouraged or prevented from investing in a company I have faith in and hope to make a profit, despite my level of investment. Most of my $ goes into my company and its expansion. I do however gamble in the markets and it has paid off over the years. But the rules should be the same for everyone and while they are not now, a rule like that would make me even less likely to dive in.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
"Face it, it can't exist, because I said so. I don't need any evidence to the contrary. And if you try and show some, I'll ignore and dismiss it out of hand. My guess of less than 5% is better than your guess of 30-40%, because I said so".

Yeah. I know your debate style.
LOL. Noone would think that 40% of any group of people in American society outside of bankers or people working in financial markets would know the particulars of Glass-Steagle. While I suppose that it impossible to actually figure out an exact percentage I would think that my number is far cmore accurate due to the fact that hardly anyone knows much about an act that was passed 80 years ago.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
How do we go from spending money that cities dont have to police these protests to this? All tax dollars dont go to the same places. Most city and local tax dollars are used wisely compared to the Federal Govt.

What do I want? Where did I say what I want?
You bitched the protesters (exercising their Constitutional rights as citizens of this country) are costing the cities money.

I pointed out that the protesters are the tax payers, so it's sort of a moot point to start with.

I then pointed out that the protesters in the picture with the check are protesting a NY city tax giveaway to the wealthy, that will cost the city $5 billion in lost income. Income that, you know, pays for police, fire, sanitation.

As someone concerned about costs to cities to run governments, I'd think you'd support the protesters not wanting the city to give away tax income.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Been on a lot of tables for a long time and is likely to stay there. The issues will be in wording the document to make it seem (and I hate using this word) fair for everyone. I should not be discouraged or prevented from investing in a company I have faith in and hope to make a profit, despite my level of investment. Most of my $ goes into my company and its expansion. I do however gamble in the markets and it has paid off over the years. But the rules should be the same for everyone and while they are not now, a rule like that would make me even less likely to dive in.
It's true, that rule is a double-edged sword for the non-giant investor who can not afford to lease space in a Wall Street basement, in order to gain a few nano-seconds of computer trading time advantage.

In the health professions, having one's own practice used to be best way to make one's retirement money. No more. I'm glad for you your business still is your best investment.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
What's the emoticon for, "I simply refuse to consider any evidence that is contrary to the opinion I have already formed" ?
Pot meet kettle. Seriously? You think there is cases of police brutality in that Boston video? Arresting people that resist isnt always pretty but when the police tell you to go you are supposed to go. Pretty simple. Are the police just supposed to walk away and not do their job? Are they supposed to do the Vulcan nerve pinch and render them helpless?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
LOL. Noone would think that 40% of any group of people in American society outside of bankers or people working in financial markets would know the particulars of Glass-Steagle.
Except me, when I reference the protesters on Wall Street who actively discuss the repeal of Glass-Stegall as one of the major causes of our economic collapse, and are calling for it's reinstatement and strengthening.

Hence my statement that I think that 30-40% of them know what Glass-Stegall is.

Quote:
While I suppose that it impossible to actually figure out an exact percentage I would think that my number is far cmore accurate due to the fact that hardly anyone knows much about an act that was passed 80 years ago
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Sha Tin

[quote=somerfrost;811102]
Quote:

Whenever even one person is injured or worse during a peaceful protest, it's newsworthy! We have taken the moral high ground in condemning crackdowns on peaceful demonstrations throughout the world yet posters here want to rationalize same when it occurs here...sure, the death tole hasn't started...yet. But history tells us it may at any time...whenever common folk take to the streets to demand their rights, the status quo reacts the same...the copper bosses didn't hire thugs to brutalize workers, Joe Hill wasn't railroaded, Dr King was a Commie troublemaker and Bull Connor a loyal civil servant, Kent State and Jackson State were the fault of radical troublemakers etc etc...
Give me a break. When you are repeatedly warned that you are to disperse, you are supposed to disperse. We have laws in this country that are to be followed so that we dont have riots. You cant complain about one set of laws when you dont follow another. If you are injured resisting arrest then it is your fault. Nothing in that video looked like police brutality.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Saratoga

[quote=Cannon Shell;811111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post

Give me a break. When you are repeatedly warned that you are to disperse, you are supposed to disperse. We have laws in this country that are to be followed so that we dont have riots. You cant complain about one set of laws when you dont follow another. If you are injured resisting arrest then it is your fault. Nothing in that video looked like police brutality.
I think I need a drink because I agree with you.

Damar Hamlin
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
That's why they want a transaction tax - slows that way down.
Which will send more money flowing out of the country
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Pot meet kettle. Seriously? You think there is cases of police brutality in that Boston video? Arresting people that resist isnt always pretty but when the police tell you to go you are supposed to go. Pretty simple. Are the police just supposed to walk away and not do their job? Are they supposed to do the Vulcan nerve pinch and render them helpless?
When a protester is standing still, not resisting arrest, you place handcuffs on them, take them by the elbow, and walk them to the paddy wagon. If they are sitting quietly or passively relaxing, you handcuff them, and two police drag them by the elbows to the paddy wagon.

You do NOT charge into them in a group, waving your batons, hitting them when there is zero resistance, throwing them to the ground, and sitting on them, then dragging them across the ground to the paddy wagon.

As is visible in multiple videos of the "Boston Cops vs Veterans for Peace" videos out there.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You bitched the protesters (exercising their Constitutional rights as citizens of this country) are costing the cities money.

I pointed out that the protesters are the tax payers, so it's sort of a moot point to start with.

I then pointed out that the protesters in the picture with the check are protesting a NY city tax giveaway to the wealthy, that will cost the city $5 billion in lost income. Income that, you know, pays for police, fire, sanitation.

As someone concerned about costs to cities to run governments, I'd think you'd support the protesters not wanting the city to give away tax income.
The majority of the taxes raised in NY city comes from the financial district. Who says that the protesters are all taxpayers from that city? You know what hurts the city tax coffers? Cutting all those Wall street bonuses.

The problem is that things dont exist in a vaccum. For every move there is a counter.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Which will send more money flowing out of the country
How will a transaction tax on computer stock trading cause money to flow out of the country?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The majority of the taxes raised in NY city comes from the financial district. Who says that the protesters are all taxpayers from that city? You know what hurts the city tax coffers? Cutting all those Wall street bonuses.

The problem is that things dont exist in a vaccum. For every move there is a counter.
As someone concerned about costs to cities to run governments, I'd think you'd support the protesters not wanting the city to give away $5 billion dollars in tax income by giving a special tax break to those earning a million dollars and above.

Yes or no?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Except me, when I reference the protesters on Wall Street who actively discuss the repeal of Glass-Stegall as one of the major causes of our economic collapse, and are calling for it's reinstatement and strengthening.

Hence my statement that I think that 30-40% of them know what Glass-Stegall is.
Which aspect that has been repealed? There is zero chance that 40% of the people milling about in NYC protests have any clue what the Glass-Steagle act is. It is really laughable to think that you believe that. Of course you believe the 1st stimulus was a big success too despite all evidence (like occupy Wall street) to the contrary.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Keeneland

[quote=jms62;811112]
Quote:

I think I need a drink because I agree with you.
So if someone is accused of breaking a misdemeanor law, and stands there passively without resistance as the police come to arrest them, the police are entitled to beat them in the process of the arrest, because they are of course guilty?

Holy ****ing crap.