Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Coach Pants

Just go to an OTB and count the number of women and men.

Then come back here and keep kidding yourself.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Just go to an OTB and count the number of women and men.

Then come back here and keep kidding yourself.
But thats the point coach isnt it? I love racing. I will sit here online with you fools all day and night long and I will bet on youbet. But go to an OTB?

There is a place in Manhattan called the Playwright. I'm sure the NY contingent knows about it. Its not a bad place. But really...its kind of gross. Most OTB's seem seedy. Im sure there are exceptions but most I have encountered are disgusting looking places.

Go to Charlestown on a saturday night. Yes, charlestown West Virginia. The dining room is PACKED and anyone who has been there will say that it is easily 50% female (most likely over 50%). They are there for the racing and the gambling. Sure, its not Saratoga, but at the same time its suitable and you aren't sitting around a bunch of scuzzy guys yelling obscentities at a tv.

As the product becomes more female friendly, you will see an increase in female fans. Is it not fair to say that VENUE is a huge part of the product?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
But thats the point coach isnt it? I love racing. I will sit here online with you fools all day and night long and I will bet on youbet. But go to an OTB?

There is a place in Manhattan called the Playwright. I'm sure the NY contingent knows about it. Its not a bad place. But really...its kind of gross. Most OTB's seem seedy. Im sure there are exceptions but most I have encountered are disgusting looking places.

Go to Charlestown on a saturday night. Yes, charlestown West Virginia. The dining room is PACKED and anyone who has been there will say that it is easily 50% female (most likely over 50%). They are there for the racing and the gambling. Sure, its not Saratoga, but at the same time its suitable and you aren't sitting around a bunch of scuzzy guys yelling obscentities at a tv.

As the product becomes more female friendly, you will see an increase in female fans. Is it not fair to say that VENUE is a huge part of the product?
Totally agree.

On an aside, in the last few months, I've taken my first trips to Charlestown and Penn and have been pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Coach Pants

Seedy as in the men there? Then that problem will never change.

The OTB in downtown Indy and the one in Evansville are not seedy facilities...just full of seedy people.

And live racing is a different ballgame. Most of the people in the clubhouse are couples and the men tend to bet much more while the women bet $2 and would rather spend two hours playing with their food.

And really if you're just going to bet $1 exactas and $2 win bets do it with 15 minutes left to post, not 1 minute and then take 2 god damn minutes to get the bet in.

So what I'm saying is women, for the most part, hurt the game more than help it.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post

The Playwright....Gross?!?!.....

Although, I do also enjoy Clancy's when in Saratoga
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Coach Pants

The more I think about it...

trying to get women to the track could be the final nail in the coffin for this sport.

When I watch Hollywood Friday Night Racing brought to you by TVG's Daily Double Whorefest Show... I realize that bringing young sluts to the track can only result in unwanted pregnancies and potential marriages which will more than likely take real gamblers (men) away from the game.

Now that they have the added responsibility of child support they won't have the disposable income to bet. All the $2 broads in the world couldn't make up for losing a whale.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Jerome Park

I used to love going to the OTB in high school. Eventhough I was MAYBE one of 3 girls.. and the other 2 girls were working as tellers. But then again I've never felt uncomfortable being the only girl in a group of hundreds of old men.

its pointless to argue that women even bet nearly the amount men bet, cause its simply not true.

If an man and a woman both had the same amount of disposible income, who do you think would be more likely to spend it on gambling. Men are the easy 1-20 favorites there.

its it worth spending lots in marketing to get young women involved? or would it be more worth while to spend that money getting young men involved?

thats an easy answer for me if I'm a marketing director. Though horse racing doesnt seem to market to ANYONE, which is the main problem.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The more I think about it...

trying to get women to the track could be the final nail in the coffin for this sport.

When I watch Hollywood Friday Night Racing brought to you by TVG's Daily Double Whorefest Show... I realize that bringing young sluts to the track can only result in unwanted pregnancies and potential marriages which will more than likely take real gamblers (men) away from the game.

Now that they have the added responsibility of child support they won't have the disposable income to bet. All the $2 broads in the world couldn't make up for losing a whale.
a lot of people go to Keeneland, Del Mar, Saratoga, etc.. FOR the women! its always good for women, men, kids, or anyone to go to the track!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Coach Pants

Maybe it could work if the ladies could bet on horses in a race and have a tiered list of items they could win instead of money. Say like a vajazzle for the favorite or a coach purse for the longest shot on the board. ANd if they play exotics they could win big prizes like a pink miata for the chalk exacta or a weeks vacation to Chicago and tickets to Oprah.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Jerome Park

maybe if tracks could figure out.. and I have no idea for the life of me how the would.. a way to create a JACKPOT in horse racing.

It could move slot players (lots of women & men) to play horse racing. Kind of like what Oaklawn did, but make it better and more interesting. Slot players LOVE the jackpot and dont like having to study bets.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Coach Pants

Maybe have more gray horse days. Women love em some gray horsies.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Maybe have more gray horse days. Women love em some gray horsies.
do you have any serious idea's? Horse racing does an absolutely terrible job marketing itself. Byk seems like the only one out there marketing for racing. There has to be some suggestions people can come up with that would help..
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
do you have any serious idea's? Horse racing does an absolutely terrible job marketing itself. Byk seems like the only one out there marketing for racing. There has to be some suggestions people can come up with that would help..
It wouldn't feel right trying to get new people to the game at this moment.

There are too many internal problems in the sport. The main one being horrendous fields and now the horrendous fields are more often than not 6 horses or less.

Fact of the matter is this isn't the same sport that got me hooked when I was young...it's a parody of itself.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
It wouldn't feel right trying to get new people to the game at this moment.

There are too many internal problems in the sport. The main one being horrendous fields and now the horrendous fields are more often than not 6 horses or less.

Fact of the matter is this isn't the same sport that got me hooked when I was young...it's a parody of itself.
very much agreed.

first thing that racing needs to do is close half of the tracks. if you cant average 9 or more starters per race you dont get a racing lisence.

it seems like the only reason a lot of small tracks are open anyway is slot machines. ugh, maybe Freddy does have a point.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post

Both of these girls have decent jobs, can handle themselves in a horse racing conversation and are completely competent with a Form, more then probably 90% of the woman in this world, and they are still aren't firing away.
At the risk of drawing further ire....

You would get a long way if you referred to them as " women. "

On the other highlighted part......what percentage, pray tell, of men are " completely competent with a Form " and feel free to include yourself.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
very much agreed.

first thing that racing needs to do is close half of the tracks. if you cant average 9 or more starters per race you dont get a racing lisence.

it seems like the only reason a lot of small tracks are open anyway is slot machines. ugh, maybe Freddy does have a point.
I haven't been to Churchill this year so not completely sure about the prices...

$5 parking
$3 admission
clubhouse? $5
program $3
Daily Racing Form $7.50
Food for two $15-20

Say a couple brings $100-$150 to the track... a large percentage is already going to the greedy corporate tax. So with the money they have left over their chances of making a few bucks and not losing it all are stacked against them.

And if they go on a day outside of the derby they are likely to have a bad experience. It's like trying to get into the White House in some parts. "No you need a pass for this area, another $10 bucks"

They nickle and dime the average Joe to death.

And you wonder why this sport can't grow?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I haven't been to Churchill this year so not completely sure about the prices...

$5 parking
$3 admission
clubhouse? $5
program $3
Daily Racing Form $7.50
Food for two $15-20

Say a couple brings $100-$150 to the track... a large percentage is already going to the greedy corporate tax. So with the money they have left over their chances of making a few bucks and not losing it all are stacked against them.

And if they go on a day outside of the derby they are likely to have a bad experience. It's like trying to get into the White House in some parts. "No you need a pass for this area, another $10 bucks"

They nickle and dime the average Joe to death.

And you wonder why this sport can't grow?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Idlewild Airport

Maybe 25% of men can understand the form.

Maybe 10% of women.

This says nothing of handicapping ability, just a basic understanding of what to base a choice on. And then a horse comes out with a pink shadow roll and "that's the one."
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy View Post
Although, I do also enjoy Clancy's when in Saratoga
Don't go there with shorts on.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
Don't go there with shorts on.
I laughed..