Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
helicopter11

Interesting. I wonder who is paying for the vet bill.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Interesting. I wonder who is paying for the vet bill.
probably bodemeister.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Keeneland

Sunday night update around 7:00pm Keep improving, Paynter!

Quote:
@JustinZayat Paynter continues to improve gradually today he is having a great day in fact he had an excellent weekend.

He is stable his temperature has been totally normal for the last 36 hours. He is eating well. He likes his new grain

All in all a very positive and upbeat report from his angel Dr. Laura. Paynter has served us notice, I WILL BEAT THIS.

He is brave and courageous and total class. He is a super horse, He is the toughest horse in America. #steelhorse

I think we have won the battle with his colitis but we are still fighting the war.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Louisiana Downs

Wow! Excellent News!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Keeneland

Just ... wow.

Monday afternoon:

Quote:
@jazz3162 Just got news that Paynter went outside to graze for his first time. Loved it
Update Monday morning:

Quote:
@JustinZayat Paynter Update: We continue to be blessed by a special horse, he continues to defy the odds.

We have a happy horse today, no fever, all blood work is good. He is comfortable stable and eating well.

His protein level is good all in all looks like painter continues to turn the corner and winning his battle with his colitis.

On his fight with his fight with his laminitis, Let me explain more in detail…

Paynter has 3 of his legs with casts to support his feet. He has no had any rotation at any point since the start of his illness in any of his feet.

None of them have shown any sinking ever since the beginning of his diagnosis.

It is fair to say that we caught a very mild laminitis in the first stages. We have taken today for the first time new sets of x rays on his 3 feet since he has been in the casts since last Sunday.

Dr. Laura was extremely happy to see that there was no radiological changes from last week in fact there has been much improvement from the way his feet looked before being in the cast.

So she feels very hopeful and encouraged that if we continue to have comfortable feet and we feel blessed that this courageous Paynter, not only beaten colitis but he has a very good chance of beating laminitis.

Miracles can happen; I am very heartened and encouraged that not only Paynter will survive as a stallion but in 10 days when his casts are off.

We can be in for a surprise that we have a chance of seeing him back as a racehorse in 2013.

Please god answer our prayers. I feel today like dancing and crying but this time out of happiness. #warrior #champ #special
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Ellis Park

I really hope he survives all this....and to ever come back and race, that would be a HUGE bonus.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
The Curragh

It's a bit ironic that Bodemeister was never at death's door and they retired him rather than wait for him to return as a 4 year old.

Paynter was at death's door, yet he seems enthusiastic about bringing him back...

I'm glad Paynter is improving though.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Had Silver Charm seen Touch Gold, Touch Gold would have won the race, the same as he did.

Had Touch Gold had a proper trip in the Preakness, Touch Gold would have won two thirds of the triple crown.
No he wouldn't have. Silver Charm at the end of the Belmont was a horse that thought he'd done what he had to do and nobody else was coming.

Regarding Zayat and the Travers push, it baffled me that a horse with his issues before that race would've been flown back anywhere. Horses like being home, I get it, and Baffert wants to see him regularly with his own eyes, but I'm not a fan of treating them like transcontinental yo-yos even though I see it work. Just feels like unnecessary stress to frequently ship East, run, then ship right back, but maybe I'm just projecting my own thoughts of jet lag (Probably am, it's not like Baffert isn't successful doing it). After illness #1, I assumed they'd wait for a later race as the Travers was an obvious no-go. Then they try to make it. That was a bizarre call. Steve's right. I don't pat Zayat on the back when I think about how Paynter's doing. I mentally give Paynter a pat on the neck for being alive.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
No he wouldn't have. Silver Charm at the end of the Belmont was a horse that thought he'd done what he had to do and nobody else was coming.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

You should watch again. TG blew by him like SC was standing still.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Jerome Park

No rotation in the feet is great news regarding the laminitis.

And Touch Gold was best at the Belmont. And he was best in the Preakness. That doesnt mean Silver Charm was not a great horse... that was a great crop of horses. Even the Captain had some good closing speed.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Turf Paradise

No telling how great Silver Charm really was because of how he always waited on horses. If he didn't do that Touch Gold would have never even got close to him. Mc Carron knew that and went 10 wide for a reason.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Saratoga

http://twitter.com/jazz3162

Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Santa Anita

Apparently he's got a mild fever again. Zayat tweeted that he's eating well and comfortable, but I doubt he's excited about any change in temp. At least the diarrhea isn't back.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Keeneland

No further updates this evening, except wishing everyone happy and healthy New Year.

In the picture MMSC posted, you can see the hematomas (clots) in the jugular from the catheter, hopefully the mild fever is just "residual stuff" resolving and healing.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Apparently he's got a mild fever again. Zayat tweeted that he's eating well and comfortable, but I doubt he's excited about any change in temp. At least the diarrhea isn't back.
anything new?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
anything new?
Doesn't look like there's anything to report. Zayat and his son Justin haven't tweeted today. I did a quick search, but I didn't see anything from anybody else.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Doesn't look like there's anything to report. Zayat and his son Justin haven't tweeted today. I did a quick search, but I didn't see anything from anybody else.
ok, thanks. i'd looked a bit and didn't see a thing either. oh well, they say no news is good news.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
ok, thanks. i'd looked a bit and didn't see a thing either. oh well, they say no news is good news.
I would imagine it's quiet because of the holiday... it doesn't seem like they update on Saturdays (either) so that's probably it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Saratoga

http://twitter.com/JustinZayat
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
From the tweet:

<<paynter up @JustinZayat good night last nigth no fever all blood work good ,very comfortablehe is out now glazing good response for new med>>

I know it's just a typo, but I now have a mental image of Paynter sitting in a pottery class, putting the finishing touches on a project.