Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
How many dirt horses even ran in last years Classic?

Like 3?
Actually, if you count QR and Z, about eleven of the entries had wins on the dirt. I guess many of them had success on synth as well. But hey, we know it's impossible to be good on both. Essentially, AB dismissed Z for RVW and TO.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMugg View Post
Actually, if you count QR and Z, about eleven of the entries had wins on the dirt. I guess many of them had success on synth as well. But hey, we know it's impossible to be good on both. Essentially, AB dismissed Z for RVW and TO.
I thought he was dismissing all horses going from dirt to synthetic last year .. I don't know though, I don't follow other peoples angles that closely.

I also thought Beyer had a decent Breeders Cup with picks he made in his column last year - I remember a bunch of threads being started about it on other boards.

I hate handicapping races on boards because you always have to listen to somebody's crap. He dismissed a 5/2 favorite for two Euro's - big deal.

I didn't dismiss Zenyatta in the race - though off her form.. with no bias shown to her trainers tendency of getting horses to peak on the big day when he's kid gloving them along ... she absolutely should have been dismissed.. even against that vomitious field of horses relative to past Classic fields, in her back yard, on her surface.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
& the best PR machine since the 70's??? LOL thats why so many non racing fans are following Z's career

No horse in the past decade holds a candle to Smarty Jones as far as PR goes.
I'm not so sure Smarty Jones garnered any more non racing fans than Big Brown. Both horses had all of three weeks in the spotlight. I'm not saying Zenyatta is the PR machine this woman says she is but if you polled a thousand people at random to name a racehorse who ran in the last ten years I'd be surprised if Smarty jones would be holding the candle at the very top of the list.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerS View Post
How many people even heard of Smarty Jones before the Derby
What you said..
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Here are some amusing quotes from the wonderful world of facebook about this column ...

NY Times Molly Jo Rosen:

Bruno De Julio:
Go back and read her post about her "stats" for the Saratoga meet that she provided her "clients." She boasted about having a 58% win rate but then back-pedaled when questioned about it saying that 58% was the rate with which she had the winner among her top four selections.

Yeah, she has a lot of credibility.

NT
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
I'm not so sure Smarty Jones garnered any more non racing fans than Big Brown. Both horses had all of three weeks in the spotlight. I'm not saying Zenyatta is the PR machine this woman says she is but if you polled a thousand people at random to name a racehorse who ran in the last ten years I'd be surprised if Smarty jones would be holding the candle at the very top of the list.

Smarty Jones was connected to likeable people, was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and got tons of coverage in mainstream media (even before the Derby). There was a story there...the horse who had a terrible accident, the dying owner, the blue collar family man trainer. Nothing was likeable about Big Brown but the horse. I know plently of people (myself included and a few other regulars on this board) who became attracted to the sport because of the media (overhyped or not) over Smarty, I've never heard anyone say they became a fan because of Big Brown.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Go back and read her post about her "stats" for the Saratoga meet that she provided her "clients." She boasted about having a 58% win rate but then back-pedaled when questioned about it saying that 58% was the rate with which she had the winner among her top four selections.

Yeah, she has a lot of credibility.

NT
I remember noticing once that she claimed she was picking winners at like 60% at Saratoga. I assumed it was probably a top 3 thing like the tip sheet people there claim when you walk into the track.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Smarty Jones was connected to likeable people,
Decrepit car dealer for an owner, a trainer who wastes his time hunting, and Stew Elliot as a jockey?

That's a trifecta of likability if I've ever seen one.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Decrepit car dealer for an owner, a trainer who wastes his time hunting, and Stew Elliot as a jockey?

Obviously the media did not portray them as this.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:

This factor alone should define Smarty's greatness.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I thought he was dismissing all horses going from dirt to synthetic last year .. I don't know though, I don't follow other peoples angles that closely.

I also thought Beyer had a decent Breeders Cup with picks he made in his column last year - I remember a bunch of threads being started about it on other boards.

I hate handicapping races on boards because you always have to listen to somebody's crap. He dismissed a 5/2 favorite for two Euro's - big deal.

I didn't dismiss Zenyatta in the race - though off her form.. with no bias shown to her trainers tendency of getting horses to peak on the big day when he's kid gloving them along ... she absolutely should have been dismissed.. even against that vomitious field of horses relative to past Classic fields, in her back yard, on her surface.
I wasn't going to use Zenyatta until I saw the Distaff. Might have been for the wrong reason, but it worked for me. Guess my point was that AB dismissed the dirt runners and the male synth horses she had been dodging. I think he went with Euros by default since he wasn't impressed with Zenyatta either.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Gulfstream Park

Renowned author and longtime Washington Post columnist Andy Beyer will be Kurt Hoover’s guest on the first Inside Scoop of the Oak Tree meet at Hollywood Park on Saturday, Oct. 2.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a reception Mr. Beyer gets now......................
Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Dancer View Post
Renowned author and longtime Washington Post columnist Andy Beyer will be Kurt Hoover’s guest on the first Inside Scoop of the Oak Tree meet at Hollywood Park on Saturday, Oct. 2.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a reception Mr. Beyer gets now......................
This guy is going to crush Beyer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-A1ps_m7Jk
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Obviously the media did not portray them as this.

Your "likable connections" comment seemed to be a veiled shot at Big Brown's connections.

If you ask me - a slippery wop owner, a cheating trainer, and a drunk cajun jockey with a hot old lady are connections I can dig.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Your "likable connections" comment seemed to be a veiled shot at Big Brown's connections.

If you ask me - a slippery wop owner, a cheating trainer, and a drunk cajun jockey with a hot old lady are connections I can dig.
This doesn't come as a surprise considering you romantically write about raping and pillaging people.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Smarty Jones was connected to likeable people, was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and got tons of coverage in mainstream media (even before the Derby). There was a story there...the horse who had a terrible accident, the dying owner, the blue collar family man trainer. Nothing was likeable about Big Brown but the horse. I know plently of people (myself included and a few other regulars on this board) who became attracted to the sport because of the media (overhyped or not) over Smarty, I've never heard anyone say they became a fan because of Big Brown.
Big Brown was a huge flop in the Belmont so I suppose no one wanted to embrace a loser.

As far as the "feel good" story I'm not so sure that captured the imagination of fans as much as SJs' courageous effort in defeat.

One thing Big Brown had over Smarty Jones PR wise was UPS.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerS View Post
How many people even heard of Smarty Jones before the Derby?

For sure for 6 weeks or so the Smarty fans were out in full force with hyperbole. And thats not unusual when it comes to the near TC winners. Is the norm more then the exception. But a little different here.

At risk of bringing out more angry fans would say the Easy Goer crew was at least on par with Zenyetta crew in terms of hype.

Think the East-Coast West coast divide is similar
besides californians & horse racing fans, who dont count anyway, there is NO zenyatta hype!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
This guy is going to crush Beyer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-A1ps_m7Jk
He's bigger but I think Andy might be quicker................Beyer by TKO in the 5th round.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Flemington

Quote:
This doesn't come as a surprise considering you romantically write about raping and pillaging people.
I'm wary to share this in my post because I really disagree with what Sightseek writes. With all the respect I have for her diminishing the more I think about it, let me say this:

You don't assassinate the character of an elite poster, let alone the best PR machine this board had since Arl Jim. Will DrugS go down in... history as the best poster of all time? Who knows. But he's the best in the game right now and his connections deserves better than some cheap excuse to bemoan a bad surface.

I will simply say that as a member of the media, an owner, and a lifelong racing fan: while an interesting read, this was a low blow to DrugS. Period.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Here are some amusing quotes from the wonderful world of facebook about this column ...

NY Times Molly Jo Rosen:
Will Zenyatta go down in... history as the best racehorse of all time? Who knows.
Oh my god.