Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default RG3 VS Luck common opponents

They both played Oklahoma State and Washington this year.

RG3 is said to have better skill position players. Luck is said to have a better O-line.

Baylor got blown out by Ok State. Stanford lost in Overtime to OK State.

RG3's numbers: 33-for-50 ... 425 yards ... 1 TD 2 INT's ... 16 carries 27 yards.
Luck's numbers: 27-for-31 ... 347 yards ... 2 TD 1 INT ... 4 carries -3 yards.

In those two Oklahoma State games -- the best player on the field both times was OK State WR Justin Blackmon.

Blackmon VS Stanford: 8 catches for 168 yards and 3TD's. 1 carry for 52 yards. Was voted MVP of the game.

Blackmon VS Baylor: 13 catches for 172 yards and 2 TD's.

Baylor scored 67 and beat Washington. Stanford scored 65 and blew out Washington.

Luck had a passer rating of 175.0 from just 21 passes and 3 carries for 23 yards. RG3 had a passer rating of 157.8 from 33 passes and 18 carries for 55 yards.

The numbers look fairly close... but Baylor plays a spread offense that often snaps the ball very quickly and runs more plays. This is going to mean very inflated statistics versus a pro style offense like Stanford.

RG 3 threw 19 more passes and attempted 12 more carries against OK State. RG3 threw 12 more passes and attempted 15 more carries against Washington.

Robert Griffin's rushing ability seems to be somewhat exaggerated.

Vince Young's Rushing stats in the Big 12 at Texas:

457 carries - 3127 yards - 6.8 yards per carry - 37 TD's.

RG3's Rushing stats at Baylor:

328 carries - 1334 - 4.1 yards per carry - 18 TD's.

He did have a better career passer rating than Vince Young by 165.5 versus 144.9 but Sam Bradford had a career passer rating of 175.6 and almost all of his games came as a freshman and sophomore. He was KO'd in the 1st game of his Junior year.

The fact that Vince Young is still the Big 12's all-time NFL passing yards leader is basically why I don't trust QB's from that conference.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Flemington

That's some very solid work Doug.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Santa Anita

Since RG3 is not an option maybe the Browns can pick up Blackmon. They pick 4th....who picks 3rd?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Del Mar

Default I appreciate the homework Doug.....

Based on the system that he will land in with the Redskins, I see positives. I see a kid with athleticism, with a big arm who can extend plays with his feet and make throws on the run if needed. I think RG3 will be a great play-action threat in the Redskins system.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822 View Post
Based on the system that he will land in with the Redskins, I see positives. I see a kid with athleticism, with a big arm who can extend plays with his feet and make throws on the run if needed. I think RG3 will be a great play-action threat in the Redskins system.
that all may be so.

but the curse of the snyder will render him useless. either that or shanahan. not the head coach shanahan, the off. coordinator shanahan, jr.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Jerome Park

I'm actually jealous of the skins a little.

I think RG III is a future star. All pro. Could have a better career than Luck.

To me, RG III is a taller and much smarter version of Mike Vick. and those are my two biggest knocks on Vick... why he's not in the top 5 qb category. If Vick was a few inches taller and could read blitzes, he'd be unstoppable.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
They both played Oklahoma State and Washington this year.

RG3 is said to have better skill position players. Luck is said to have a better O-line.

Baylor got blown out by Ok State. Stanford lost in Overtime to OK State.

RG3's numbers: 33-for-50 ... 425 yards ... 1 TD 2 INT's ... 16 carries 27 yards.
Luck's numbers: 27-for-31 ... 347 yards ... 2 TD 1 INT ... 4 carries -3 yards.

In those two Oklahoma State games -- the best player on the field both times was OK State WR Justin Blackmon.

Blackmon VS Stanford: 8 catches for 168 yards and 3TD's. 1 carry for 52 yards. Was voted MVP of the game.

Blackmon VS Baylor: 13 catches for 172 yards and 2 TD's.

Baylor scored 67 and beat Washington. Stanford scored 65 and blew out Washington.

Luck had a passer rating of 175.0 from just 21 passes and 3 carries for 23 yards. RG3 had a passer rating of 157.8 from 33 passes and 18 carries for 55 yards.

The numbers look fairly close... but Baylor plays a spread offense that often snaps the ball very quickly and runs more plays. This is going to mean very inflated statistics versus a pro style offense like Stanford.

RG 3 threw 19 more passes and attempted 12 more carries against OK State. RG3 threw 12 more passes and attempted 15 more carries against Washington.

Robert Griffin's rushing ability seems to be somewhat exaggerated.

Vince Young's Rushing stats in the Big 12 at Texas:

457 carries - 3127 yards - 6.8 yards per carry - 37 TD's.

RG3's Rushing stats at Baylor:

328 carries - 1334 - 4.1 yards per carry - 18 TD's.

He did have a better career passer rating than Vince Young by 165.5 versus 144.9 but Sam Bradford had a career passer rating of 175.6 and almost all of his games came as a freshman and sophomore. He was KO'd in the 1st game of his Junior year.

The fact that Vince Young is still the Big 12's all-time NFL passing yards leader is basically why I don't trust QB's from that conference.
When Ok state played Stanford, it was in a bowl game with a month of prep time on a neutral field. When Baylor played ok st, it was in Stillwater and Baylor was hardly the same team that got on a roll at the end of the season. Despite throwing for 400+, Griffin stunk in that game and they were down by like 5 tds for most of the game.

I don't know who is going to be the better pro but Luck was certainly the more polished collegiate QB. The Big 12 QB thing is somewhat valid but it only takes ONE to come along (Bradford not withstanding). A good QB can come from anywhere.