Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I don't know what we are really debating here. I don't know who that writer is or where he got his info but I know it's not factually correct. Some of it is though. Hollendorfer was unsure about his ability to stretch out and did think he would be best at distances up to 8f, maybe 8.5f at most. He was absolutely not planned to run in the ECR Derby though. The plan was for a break after the Hollywood Futurity and to come back in the San Vicente and the San Rafael and if all went well, to try the SA Derby. That's what was told to us.
As far his knee problem goes:

After King Glorious worked a half-mile last Saturday at Bay Meadows, there was a swelling in his right leg. Two veterinarians--Dennis Mulhern of UC Davis and Jack Robbins of Los Angeles--examined him and determined that the colt should be withheld from heavy training for a month.

And the El Camino Real Derby:

Hollendorfer said: "We've been downplaying the Derby even before this happened. We haven't set our goals too far ahead with this horse. Our year- end goal was the $1-million race at Hollywood Park (the Futurity) and we reached that. Then our next goal was the El Camino Real, and we're disappointed about missing that. The Kentucky Derby is too far down the road to speculate about it."

On Friday at Bay Meadows, a shipment of 16,000 baseball caps arrived, with the wording "Will the King Reign?" printed on the front. The caps were going to be given to fans attending the El Camino Real.

Some of these quotes in this and other posts come from LA Times and the NY Times (when they actually had a horse racing column in the sports page).
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Cigar would have tracked her, pressured her and broke her in the last furlong. I will say this she was a slop monster but as we have seen Cigar was not chopped liver on a wet track either.
Absolutely not.

A.) Jerry Bailey wouldn't have used Cigar and forced him out of his comfort zone just to pressure a filly. Had Inside Info run in the Classic she wouldn't have been viewed as Cigar's only possible danger.

B.) horses don't run faster - they run slower races when taken out of their comfort zone to pressure another rival. See Cigar's Pacific Classic.

2nd place finisher L'Carriere, like mostly all of the horses Cigar beat, was pretty much a bum. Before running 2nd in the BC Classic .. he was 4th in the Meadowlands Cup behind former nickle claimer turned Juan Surey move-up Poor But Honest. In his start after his 2nd place finish in the BC Classic - he was 4th to Wekiva Springs.

This kind of sillyness reminds me a lot of how every single trainer I talked with up here swore Mine That Bird would have beat Rachel Alexandra in the Ky Derby. And many insisted Rachel Alexandra would have run no better than 5th in the Derby.

It's amusing how dumb people act when you talk about fillies running against males. I'm surprised there still aren't people who insist Rags To Riches would have had no shot of beating Curlin in the Belmont ... even though she actually did run in the Belmont - and actually did win the race.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Absolutely not.

A.) Jerry Bailey wouldn't have used Cigar and forced him out of his comfort zone just to pressure a filly. Had Inside Info run in the Classic she wouldn't have been viewed as Cigar's only possible danger.

B.) horses don't run faster - they run slower races when taken out of their comfort zone to pressure another rival. See Cigar's Pacific Classic.
A couple things, yes this is generally true for some horses but not in this case when discussing Cigar. You cited the Pacific Classic and I am glad you did, infact that race and to a lesser degree the Donn Hdcp against Holy Bull showed his versatility as a horse. Bailey could ask for speed if he needed it.

In the Pacific Classic his hand was forced by an overzealous Nakatani on Dramatic Gold to run early with the legitimate speedball Siphon on the lead, the fact that he won the battle against a horse like Siphon but only to lose the war to Dare And Go post Dubai illustrates to me he would have fractured Inside Information in the classic(again 1/8th farther than the Distaff and a yr earlier when he was probably better) had she ran. In 95 there is no way Inside Information could have won the battle and survived the war against Cigar, and I don't even think he would have had to run with her early, all he would have had to have done is lay off of her, make that sweeping move on the turn and cruise on by per his normal MO.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
A couple things, yes this is generally true for some horses but not in this case when discussing Cigar. You cited the Pacific Classic and I am glad you did, infact that race and to a lesser degree the Donn Hdcp against Holy Bull showed his versatility as a horse. Bailey could ask for speed if he needed it.

In the Pacific Classic his hand was forced by an overzealous Nakatani on Dramatic Gold to run early with the legitimate speedball Siphon on the lead, the fact that he won the battle against a horse like Siphon but only to lose the war to Dare And Go post Dubai illustrates to me he would have fractured Inside Information in the classic(again 1/8th farther than the Distaff and a yr earlier when he was probably better) had she ran. In 95 there is no way Inside Information could have won the battle and survived the war against Cigar, and I don't even think he would have had to run with her early, all he would have had to have done is lay off of her, make that sweeping move on the turn and cruise on by per his normal MO.
If Cigar had tried to sit off II in that circumstance, that race would have been over before it started.

His only hope, and it would have been a slim one at best, would have been to try to duel her into submission.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
If Cigar had tried to sit off II in that circumstance, that race would have been over before it started.

His only hope, and it would have been a slim one at best, would have been to try to duel her into submission.
At 1 1/4 she may have backed up herself, if I were the Jockey of Cigar I would simply not let her get more than a length away from me, forcing her to make a decision to run faster or slow down, either way Cigar would have finished faster than her at 1 1/4 or even 1 1/8th, he already has shown he could run with Siphon and Holy Bull even for 1/2 a race and fare well, she would be a step down.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
At 1 1/4 she may have backed up herself, if I were the Jockey of Cigar I would simply not let her get more than a length away from me, forcing her to make a decision to run faster or slow down, either way Cigar would have finished faster than her at 1 1/4 or even 1 1/8th, he already has shown he could run with Siphon and Holy Bull even for 1/2 a race and fare well, she would be a step down.
She wasn't a step down from Siphon.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
She wasn't a step down from Siphon.
Really it depends if you are looking at what and where she was racing on, she was at her best at Belmont and she was very proficient on off tracks, no surprise being she was by slop sire Private Account. For argugent's sake, do you think she would have been close to Siphon and Cigar had she run in the Pacific Classic?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Really it depends if you are looking at what and where she was racing on, she was at her best at Belmont and she was very proficient on off tracks, no surprise being she was by slop sire Private Account. For argugent's sake, do you think she would have been close to Siphon and Cigar had she run in the Pacific Classic?
It might have come out the same way it did. Her and Siphon may have compromised each other. But I do think she was better than both of them though, by a lot over Siphon and by a little over Cigar.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
It might have come out the same way it did. Her and Siphon may have compromised each other. But I do think she was better than both of them though, by a lot over Siphon and by a little over Cigar.
She had a great record against fillies, and we were left with an indelible memory in her last race. Until a filly tries open company, she can't even be put in the same league of Cigar, if you are saying she was better than him you are saying quite alot, but do remember what happened to Azeri when she tried the colts.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Inside Information certainly was consistent, but I don't recall her races being particularly fast or impressive outside of the lopsided BC.

And though she outlasted them all, at 3 she was no better than 3rd or 4th amongst Heavenly Prize, Lakeway, and Sardula. Really, some their efforts as 2 and 3yos outweigh anything she ultimately did as a 4yo.

Meanwhile, Siphon ran some wickedly fast races at a variety of distances (6-10f) from '95-'97.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
She had a great record against fillies, and we were left with an indelible memory in her last race. Until a filly tries open company, she can't even be put in the same league of Cigar, if you are saying she was better than him you are saying quite alot, but do remember what happened to Azeri when she tried the colts.

you are sexist towards fillies! now i know!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
you are sexist towards fillies! now i know!!!
I know you are joking, but I actually have paid quite a few compliments here with many fillies. (Is this the proper emoticon?)
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I don't agree that a filly has to beat open company. Goodbye Halo didn't face the boys in 1988 but we saw her beat Winning Colors in the Las Virgenes and lost to her by a narrow margin in the BC so we know she was in the same league as any of the boys were that year.

Azeri didn't try the boys when she was at her best. You say remember what happened to Azeri. Why not say remember what happened to Winning Colors, Rags to Riches, Rachel Alexandra, Goldikova, Zarkava, Lady's Secret, Miesque, Ridgewood Pearl, Safely Kept.........I could go on and on and on?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I know you are joking, but I actually have paid quite a few compliments here with many fillies. (Is this the proper emoticon?)

Old 10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I don't agree that a filly has to beat open company. Goodbye Halo didn't face the boys in 1988 but we saw her beat Winning Colors in the Las Virgenes and lost to her by a narrow margin in the BC so we know she was in the same league as any of the boys were that year.

Azeri didn't try the boys when she was at her best. You say remember what happened to Azeri. Why not say remember what happened to Winning Colors, Rags to Riches, Rachel Alexandra, Goldikova, Zarkava, Lady's Secret, Miesque, Ridgewood Pearl, Safely Kept.........I could go on and on and on?

Ouigi Board.. makyvi Diva (sp?).. Pride.. that one really good mare Sunshine something from some Asian country...

The best mares beat the colts (well if given the opportunity of course)
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Ouigi Board.. makyvi Diva (sp?).. Pride.. that one really good mare Sunshine something from some Asian country...

The best mares beat the colts (well if given the opportunity of course)
Last year, Zarkava beat Goldikova. The two best horses in Europe were both fillies (3yo fillies at that) so why should they have to beat males that aren't as good as they are to prove how good they are? Same with Rachel and Zenyatta this year. Either would prove more by beating the other one that they could prove by beating males.