Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Santa Anita

Default 100-0 basketball game -- wrong or not?

Is running up the score to 100 to 0 wrong, is the matchup wrong to begin with, or is it just an unusual circumstance pointing out a weakness in the game?

I would have made this a poll, but I don't know how to do that.

Story follows...

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...b342763613.txt

Area coaches decry 100-0 score
By Bill Allmann, Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:01 AM EST

How do you beat a basketball team 100-0?

You don’t, area coaches say.

“That score is unbelievable,” said Western Beaver coach Joe Podolak, the dean of area coaches. “You’d like to think a coach would call off the dogs and try not to score 100. It seems like something else happened along the way.”

The 100-0 game in question came to light last week when The Covenant (Texas) School shut out Dallas Academy in a girls’ high school game.

In the aftermath, the administration of Covenant apologized. The school’s head coach, Micah Grimes, disagreed with the apology and was fired. There has been no clarification as to whether Grimes was fired because of the score or the disagreement with the administration but, regardless, the story has attracted a lot of attention.

“I heard a little about it,” said former Blackhawk coach John Miller, who coached the Cougars to four state championships. “I would’ve thought it was avoidable. If it was me, I’d have cleared my bench, dropped into a 2-3 zone, and told them every player on the floor had to touch the ball twice before they could shoot.

“It’s hard to tell players not to score, but you’d have to think these teams had to know how they’d match up before they even played.”

The score was 59-0 at halftime and with the game played between two small private schools, there was no media present and Dallas Academy did not film the game to provide more details.

There are conflicting reports as to how long Covenant used a full-court press in the game (some reports as short as three minutes) but Dallas Academy coach Andrew Lott estimated his team managed only seven shots.

“In college, there’s a shot clock so you can’t slow it completely but in high school there’s no excuse,” said Mark Javens, former Community College of Beaver County and Hopewell High School coach.

Covenant School had only eight players, so at least two starters always had to be in the game.

“That was a coaching error of some type no matter what,” said Cornell boys coach Bill Sacco, who has coached both boys and girls teams in his 30-year career. “I’ve been on both sides and there are things you can do. You know you’ve reached a point where the other team can’t come back and you curb whatever you’re doing.”

Beaver boys coach Brandon Ambrose said that type of score wouldn’t happen in the area.

“I’ve been on the short end of scores more than the other side, but coaches around here don’t run the score up,” he said. “You always have to be careful that the shoe could be on the other foot someday.”
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Jerome Park

poor sportsmanship, especially in high school where sports are not used just to play a game, but to learn life lessons and respect for others.

I'm glad the coach was fired.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Tropical Park

To bad they can't do what happened to us when I was in high school. We played a small Catholic school in Houston my senior year and beat them 132-28. The scrubs including me played almost the full game. The next year, the coach at the Catholic knew some missionaries in Africa and was able to arrange for 5 foreign exchange students to play for the Catholic school who also happened to play on the junior national teams in their homeland. Their frontline was 7 foot, 6'11'' and 6'8''. Needless to say, my alma mater got beat by over 100. All 5 of these player went on to play division 1 basketball.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Jerome Park

from what I read... this coach had his girls shooting 3's, even in the 4th quarter, and running the full court press throughout the game. Was basically: steal, lay-up, steal, lay-up, steal, 3 pointer.

Its hard to score 100 points in four, 8 minute quarters. Horrible sportsmanship by the coach... deserved to be fired and was. You are not supposed to teach your high school kids to kick someone when they are down.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

In my opinion, the problem is in the scheduling. It had to have been obvious before the game that there was a huge disparity in talent between the two teams so they shouldn't have even been matched up in the first place. If they matchup looked a little more even going in and certain circumstances (injuries, suspensions, etc) conspired to make it a mismatch, perhaps the best alternatives would have been to either call a forfeit before the game or concede at halftime. But you can't totally blame the coach of the winning team without knowing the way the game played out. As was noted, he only had eight players so at least two starters had to be on the court all game. Also, I'd like to know how all of their other games have gone this season. Do they play a bunch of tight games all year where he doesn't get a chance to use his bench much? How much do his reserves get to play and show what they can do? They probably work hard all year in practice and it's not fair to tell them they now get to play but all they can do is hold the ball and pass it around. Do you tell them not to take any open shots or to try to miss on purpose? Do you tell them not to play defense and to let the other team get some points? All of these things are even more unsportsmanlike in my opinion. Of course you don't want to be playing a pressing defense or looking to score on fast breaks at every opportunity. But you've also still got to play the game. Was this a game that could have been 50-0 and they kept pushing to make it 100-0 or was it a game that could have been 200-0 and they worked hard to keep it only 100-0?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
In my opinion, the problem is in the scheduling. It had to have been obvious before the game that there was a huge disparity in talent between the two teams so they shouldn't have even been matched up in the first place. If they matchup looked a little more even going in and certain circumstances (injuries, suspensions, etc) conspired to make it a mismatch, perhaps the best alternatives would have been to either call a forfeit before the game or concede at halftime. But you can't totally blame the coach of the winning team without knowing the way the game played out. As was noted, he only had eight players so at least two starters had to be on the court all game. Also, I'd like to know how all of their other games have gone this season. Do they play a bunch of tight games all year where he doesn't get a chance to use his bench much? How much do his reserves get to play and show what they can do? They probably work hard all year in practice and it's not fair to tell them they now get to play but all they can do is hold the ball and pass it around. Do you tell them not to take any open shots or to try to miss on purpose? Do you tell them not to play defense and to let the other team get some points? All of these things are even more unsportsmanlike in my opinion. Of course you don't want to be playing a pressing defense or looking to score on fast breaks at every opportunity. But you've also still got to play the game. Was this a game that could have been 50-0 and they kept pushing to make it 100-0 or was it a game that could have been 200-0 and they worked hard to keep it only 100-0?
all excellent points! sounds like the game should never have been played. to me it's more insulting to the bad team to have YOUR team clown around, then it is to crush them.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Havre de Grace

unfortunately, they don't have a "mercy rule" in basketball.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhb411
The parents of the Dallas Academy girls have the task of reassuring their kids
"you can achieve anything you set your mind on" accept aspiring to be
a starter for the Volunteers of Tennessee.

OK. All joking aside.

Any decent coach wouldn't have done what this guy did. Also......

Did anyone question why the losing coach just left his girls out there as long as he did ?
And what exactly did this guy do? I read the article and I don't know how the game went. Unless you know what it was that he did, you don't know what he didn't try to do. As I asked, was it a game that could have been only 50-0 and he instead pushed to make it 100-0 or it was a game that could have been 200-0 and he did all he could to keep it at "only" 100-0?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
And what exactly did this guy do? I read the article and I don't know how the game went. Unless you know what it was that he did, you don't know what he didn't try to do. As I asked, was it a game that could have been only 50-0 and he instead pushed to make it 100-0 or it was a game that could have been 200-0 and he did all he could to keep it at "only" 100-0?
If he had a serious lead and still had a fullcourt press, then I think he did something wrong?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
all excellent points! sounds like the game should never have been played. to me it's more insulting to the bad team to have YOUR team clown around, then it is to crush them.

thats is just totally incorrect in this case. The team that lost is a school for kids with learning disabilities. What the winning coach did was just wrong.

As for King's points about maybe 100-0 was taking it easy on them is complete BS. Its high school, they play short quarters. This team was shooting 3's and running the full court press after they were already up 59-0 at halftime.

It was a disgrace to high school athletics.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Jerome Park

nobody should be taking the winning coach's side in this matter.

If he wasnt in the wrong, this wouldnt be a national story and the coach would still have his job.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
If he had a serious lead and still had a fullcourt press, then I think he did something wrong?
The article said there were varying reports of the game and that one of them said they were only in a full court press for THREE minutes. Where do you get information saying otherwise?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
The article said there were varying reports of the game and that one of them said they were only in a full court press for THREE minutes. Where do you get information saying otherwise?
from this thread.....all things considered.....with a 59 pt. lead?...no a good decision by the coach!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
from this thread.....all things considered.....with a 59 pt. lead?...no a good decision by the coach!
Again, I ask where do you see anywhere that it says he was pressing them with that lead? If he was, I'd totally agree that it was classless. But I haven't read that. I haven't read anything about how the game was played and whether he was trying to score as much as possible or whether he was trying to pull back. Until I find out he was trying to score and embarrass the other team, I don't think it's fair to make judgements about how much class he has.

We see things like this in college football often. It would happen in the old Big-8 all the time with Oklahoma and Nebraska doing this to their outclassed competition. What do you do? You take out all of your starters and start playing your fourth and fifth string. You stop throwing any passes. You run the ball on every play. But what can you do when the opposing team can't tackle you? How fair is it to tell fourth and fifth stringers that bust their butts in practice all year that when they finally get their chance to get on the field, they can't even play. You want them to take the handoff and fall down so they can stop from scoring? Sometimes, there's only so much you can do with a talent disparity like that.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Del Mar

I think the other coach should be fired. Having a team that scores 0 points? The guys not a coach. Even if they were way under skilled, he should have gone to the othe coach and sad something like, look my kids are retards, do easy. I wonder what he did say and do.

The winning coach was over the top. But would be still be fired at 76-0?, 59-0?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
I think the other coach should be fired. Having a team that scores 0 points? The guys not a coach. Even if they were way under skilled, he should have gone to the othe coach and sad something like, look my kids are retards, do easy. I wonder what he did say and do.

The winning coach was over the top. But would be still be fired at 76-0?, 59-0?

this is ridiculous. The other coach is coaching kids with disabilities. The Dallas Academy is a school for kids with learning disabilities, etc.

As far as the bolded, the winning coach should have been wise enough to figure that out.

I cant believe some of the posts on here. this is HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS for gosh sakes. Kings example to football was insane.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
My wife just told me the kids on the losing team, were either special needs or
learning disabled on some level.

Not joking here.

EXACTLY... this is the whole point of the firing and everything.

Open your eyes people. That coach is a scumbag.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The coach is going to ( if he hasn't already ) lawyer up and get $omething out of the school for getting fired.
No doubt about that.

If someone can sue a school after acting like he did.. well this country is a damn shame.

But considering SUE HAPPY AMERICA, it wouldnt surprise me.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Ok, so the score is 59-0 at halftime. First of all, that's bad enough. Why was this game even scheduled in the first place is my question? Second, I would wonder if either coach went to the other and said "hey, let's call this off." Now, once the game went into the second half, all of you that are against the winning coach, how would you have handled it? Do you put in your three bench players and tell them to just stand there and hold the ball at halfcourt? Since there is no shot clock, technically, he can just have his players stand there and just hold the ball for the whole quarter. Is that what you would have had your players do?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Ok, so the score is 59-0 at halftime. First of all, that's bad enough. Why was this game even scheduled in the first place is my question? Second, I would wonder if either coach went to the other and said "hey, let's call this off." Now, once the game went into the second half, all of you that are against the winning coach, how would you have handled it? Do you put in your three bench players and tell them to just stand there and hold the ball at halfcourt? Since there is no shot clock, technically, he can just have his players stand there and just hold the ball for the whole quarter. Is that what you would have had your players do?

If I was the coach.. I would have tried to get a mercy rule to end that game after half.

I would make my kids run suicides in the morning til the fainted if they took a 3 pointer or an easy layup in the 2nd half. I'd make them complete 20 successful bounce passes before they would be allowed to shoot.

This isnt the pro's or college. Its about teenage girls playing against a group of teenage girls with disabilities. Its about being a good person & thinking about others feelings.

I think all the responsibility lies on the coach. ESPECIALLY after he wrote a letter to the paper saying he wasnt sorry for anything (after the school had issued an apology). Good riddence.