Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
FTFY.
Do you really think at this point of his career, that he is going to spend the off season conditioning to learn another totally different scheme?
I really think the only way Favre stays is if the JETS throw enough money at Mike Holmgren that he forgets about taking a sabatical and asks Brett to stay on for another year. Otherwise, Brett will be reciting that same retirement speech from last season.
Green Bay hired trainers and sent them to Mississippi to keep Favre in shape. Nothing happened this year, then Favre pulled his crap, and it showed down the stretch that he tired out.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club
Green Bay hired trainers and sent them to Mississippi to keep Favre in shape. Nothing happened this year, then Favre pulled his crap, and it showed down the stretch that he tired out.
Agreed that he wasn't good. But neither was the coaching, the play calling, the running game, the wide recievers. And then you had the defense.........
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I just find it odd that Bellychick's assistants, for the most part, have failed as head coaches.

It's also odd that the Patriots haven't been as dominant since they were caught CHEATING. GOD DAMN CHEATERS.!!!
LOLZ... 16-1 last year since Spygate and 11-5 with a career backup QB this year.
I'm a fan of a team in the same division and I STILL think that's impressive.

No explaining the Bellyboy's assistants not doing well as head coaches though, it's like sires I guess- an inexact science.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
LOLZ... 16-1 last year since Spygate and 11-5 with a career backup QB this year.
I'm a fan of a team in the same division and I STILL think that's impressive.

No explaining the Bellyboy's assistants not doing well as head coaches though, it's like sires I guess- an inexact science.
The pats were 2-4 against playoff teams this year. That would make them 9-1 against the dregs with the 1 coming at home to the jets. Of those 4 losses, 3 came by 20 points or more. What does that tell you?

Belichick is a good coach that caught lightning in a bottle with one Tom Brady. Look at his record before Brady. Nothing special.

Not to say that Belichick isnt a fine coach. Just to say that maybe the reason his assistants don't do so well when they leave is because of lack of brady.

It says a lot about a coach to me when their team/system succeeds with different QB's at the helm. It will be interesting to see how well Belichick does Post Brady.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
The pats were 2-4 against playoff teams this year. That would make them 9-1 against the dregs with the 1 coming at home to the jets. Of those 4 losses, 3 came by 20 points or more. What does that tell you?

Belichick is a good coach that caught lightning in a bottle with one Tom Brady. Look at his record before Brady. Nothing special.

Not to say that Belichick isnt a fine coach. Just to say that maybe the reason his assistants don't do so well when they leave is because of lack of brady.

It says a lot about a coach to me when their team/system succeeds with different QB's at the helm. It will be interesting to see how well Belichick does Post Brady.
A lot of dipshit Pats fans (somewhat redundant) are already aboard the Cassel bandwagon and are talking about the Brady era in the past tense. If there was one instance to sum up why Pats fans have no credibility, there it is.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
A lot of dipshit Pats fans (somewhat redundant) are already aboard the Cassel bandwagon and are talking about the Brady era in the past tense. If there was one instance to sum up why Pats fans have no credibility, there it is.
They can't possibly be serious. Brady is one of the best ever and still in his prime. Cassel has a super chance to become Scott Mitchell.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
They can't possibly be serious. Brady is one of the best ever and still in his prime. Cassel has a super chance to become Scott Mitchell.
If he's lucky.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._brady_be.html

Check the comments.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Those are hilarious. Talk about panic.

I'm sure Cassel will be okay in the NE system, but they are out of their minds to think that he will be better than a surgically repaired Brady. Even if Brady is behind and isn't ready until mid-season or so, he's still a better option than Cassel.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Those are hilarious. Talk about panic.

I'm sure Cassel will be okay in the NE system, but they are out of their minds to think that he will be better than a surgically repaired Brady. Even if Brady is behind and isn't ready until mid-season or so, he's still a better option than Cassel.
There are dumbass Jet fans (shocking, I know) that are clamoring for Cassel too. Luckily they get shouted down by other, not totally moronic fans. I'd prefer Ratliff and even Clemens over Cassel.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
There are dumbass Jet fans (shocking, I know) that are clamoring for Cassel too. Luckily they get shouted down by other, not totally moronic fans. I'd prefer Ratliff and even Clemens over Cassel.
Just about every Jet fan in my office is clamoring for Cassel.

Would be a TERRIBLE mistake to go after him. He's better than anybody ever expected... but the fact of the matter is Randy Moss and his coach make him look good.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

Dolphins: 1-2 against playoff teams
Ravens: 2-5 against playoff teams
Steelers: 3-4 against playoff teams
Titans: 3-1 against playoff teams
Colts: 5-1 against playoff teams

Says here their 2-4 record against playoff teams is competitive with the two teams they were competing with for a spot.

Postscript: the more I look at it, the more I think the Colts can run the table on the road and win this thing.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Jerome Park

I've thought for a few weeks now that the Colts are gonna win the SB... they have been an under the radar team who started off slow and is as hot or hotter than anyone..

not to mention the best QB actively playing.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
I've thought for a few weeks now that the Colts are gonna win the SB... they have been an under the radar team who started off slow and is as hot or hotter than anyone..

not to mention the best QB actively playing.
I think the Chargers will beat 'em. They're the only home team I'm picking this week.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I think the Chargers will beat 'em. They're the only home team I'm picking this week.
That's the only thing you and I have agreed on this month
Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Just about every Jet fan in my office is clamoring for Cassel.

Would be a TERRIBLE mistake to go after him. He's better than anybody ever expected... but the fact of the matter is Randy Moss and his coach make him look good.
Those are the same dumbass Jet fans who were/are dying for Favre, Cowher, etc. Whatever big name they trick themselves into thinking is the saviour. It pisses me off because these are the morons that Woody feels like he needs to pander to when, in reality, true Jet fans can see through marketing ploys and just want a winner. We'll take a bunch of no-names who win 10+ games ('06) over a bunch of underachieving Pro Bowlers ('08).

If they go get Cassel, I'll be pissed.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Those are the same dumbass Jet fans who were/are dying for Favre, Cowher, etc. Whatever big name they trick themselves into thinking is the saviour. It pisses me off because these are the morons that Woody feels like he needs to pander to when, in reality, true Jet fans can see through marketing ploys and just want a winner. We'll take a bunch of no-names who win 10+ games ('06) over a bunch of underachieving Pro Bowlers ('08).

Keep this in mind, too... Even though he'll be a free agent the Pats are a very smart organization- they're not going to just let him walk to sign with a division rival if they think he's worth his weight in jockstraps, especially with Brady not progressing as planned. If they do, that speaks volumes.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Keep this in mind, too... Even though he'll be a free agent the Pats are a very smart organization- they're not going to just let him walk to sign with a division rival if they think he's worth his weight in jockstraps, especially with Brady not progressing as planned. If they do, that speaks volumes.
That would be cap destruction though phil. Even if the pats thought Casell was worth it, they cant afford to pay a backup QB starter money and starter money is what Casell will get from any other team. They would have no choice but to let him walk.

Casell leaving is a foregone conclusion if there is any interest and it appears there will be...regardless of how misguided that interest may be.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:

The problem with the Favre situation is that for the last couple of seasons all you heard was that Chad Pennington didn't have the arm strength for the Jets playing in the Meadowlands. So they gave Clemens a chance, which didn't work out so good either. In both of their defenses the o-line was awful, which also led to Thomas Jones needing a GPS to find the endzone and the qb running for their lives. This season they revamp the line and Thomas Jones has a resurrection, but the passing game play calling is the same crappy screen and 5 yard outs that they were running last season. They are supposed to have this QB with the big arm now, but it seemed like they never threw the ball downfield. Favre averaged 217 yards a game (only about 10 yards more than Chad averaged when he was a Jet) and didn't throw for 300 yards once this season (I know not that big a deal, they were a running team when they were playing well, but I think it speaks volumes about the play calling), including the game he threw 6 td's. If this was going to be the case, they were better off with Chad. I am not trying to compare the two in any way or form, but one thing I assure you is that Chad would have never thrown 22 interceptions.
I thought getting Favre was the right move, but it just seems that they ran the same plays and packages that they had for Chad and Clemens. Instead of changing the playbook around for Favre the just changed Favre's game to adapt to the playbook they had.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
That would be cap destruction though phil. Even if the pats thought Casell was worth it, they cant afford to pay a backup QB starter money and starter money is what Casell will get from any other team. They would have no choice but to let him walk.

Casell leaving is a foregone conclusion if there is any interest and it appears there will be...regardless of how misguided that interest may be.
Cant they just franchise him and take a one year hit? I dont know why everyone is so down on Cassell. He may not be Brady but lets give the guy some credit considering he had to basically learn on the job in a very tough situation with almost no experience to fall back on. He played pretty well and will likely still get better.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
The problem with the Favre situation is that for the last couple of seasons all you heard was that Chad Pennington didn't have the arm strength for the Jets playing in the Meadowlands. So they gave Clemens a chance, which didn't work out so good either. In both of their defenses the o-line was awful, which also led to Thomas Jones needing a GPS to find the endzone and the qb running for their lives. This season they revamp the line and Thomas Jones has a resurrection, but the passing game play calling is the same crappy screen and 5 yard outs that they were running last season. They are supposed to have this QB with the big arm now, but it seemed like they never threw the ball downfield. Favre averaged 217 yards a game (only about 10 yards more than Chad averaged when he was a Jet) and didn't throw for 300 yards once this season (I know not that big a deal, they were a running team when they were playing well, but I think it speaks volumes about the play calling), including the game he threw 6 td's. If this was going to be the case, they were better off with Chad. I am not trying to compare the two in any way or form, but one thing I assure you is that Chad would have never thrown 22 interceptions.
I thought getting Favre was the right move, but it just seems that they ran the same plays and packages that they had for Chad and Clemens. Instead of changing the playbook around for Favre the just changed Favre's game to adapt to the playbook they had.
I dont think they had the receivers to throw the ball down the field consistently. If I'm the incoming coach the last thing I want is Favre. The drama and decision making isnt worth it and when you have a guy that can pretty much do whatever he wants without recourse you have a bad situation. There is no future with Favre and they simply dont have the horses to win it all now. I would rather have Cassell than Favre in 2009 (never thought I would say that) for at least you know you have a competent QB who you can count on for a few years. If you dont want Cassell who exactly is out there that is better?