Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Ditto Pats backers. Your done.

Farve doesn't make it to week 9 as his ego is dropped on his right knee leaving him with an ACL tear and another opportunity to retire and rise from the dead yet again.....if there is any karma of fairness in this universe the Vikings will go 7-9 and miss the playoffs...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
at the very least, favre is definitely an improvement over jackson and rosenfels....

and then there's this:

The Vikings have sold more than 3,000 season tickets since news broke that Brett Favre was coming to Minnesota. That's in approximately a 24-hour span.

FOX Fantasy Football

Play FOX Fantasy Football for Free!Free Features Include:

Live Draft Application

Expert Analysis
Real-Time Scoring
Research Tools

Free Draft Guide Chief marketing officer Steve LaCroix says the team has sold about 10,000 single-game tickets during that time as fans clamor over the arrival of the veteran quarterback.

Seats for the game against Green Bay on Oct. 5 are only available through a season ticket. There are roughly 7,000 season tickets remaining. The Vikings had to race to beat the blackout deadline for several games last season.

Merchandise is also moving. LaCroix said several hundred pre-orders for Favre jerseys were placed online Tuesday. The purple No. 4s were to show up in stores on Wednesday
I think I am going to throw up.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Worst post of 2009
Dixie, get off of sniper's computer.

Would you like to wager on whether or not they make the playoffs? 50 dollars?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
Farve doesn't make it to week 9 as his ego is dropped on his right knee leaving him with an ACL tear and another opportunity to retire and rise from the dead yet again.....if there is any karma of fairness in this universe the Vikings will go 7-9 and miss the playoffs...

sorry, i just don't get it. his playing, or not, has no effect on me, you, or anyone else. what's the big deal? i know some tire of the media circus-perhaps the issue would be better brought up with the media? i think when brett turned 35 is when people started suggesting he retire, as tho it was their business to tell him so. blame espn, as they feel the need to be first on the scene with big news. lol a football player playing isn't big news.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Flemington

Quote:
sorry, i just don't get it. his playing, or not, has no effect on me, you, or anyone else. what's the big deal? i know some tire of the media circus-perhaps the issue would be better brought up with the media? i think when brett turned 35 is when people started suggesting he retire, as tho it was their business to tell him so. blame espn, as they feel the need to be first on the scene with big news. lol a football player playing isn't big news.
I think I agree with Dani. Unless you are a Vikings fan, who cares? Sure he's an upgrade for the Vikings. But he's also a guy that was on a 8-3 team last year and couldn't get them in to the playoffs. At times he was just plain awful. Everyone thought that he would improve that team by 2-3 games, but he might have cost them that instead.
If I was a Bears or Packers fan I would be licking my chops about facing him twice this season. It will probably open it up for Peterson a bit, but despite what everyone says I personally think that he had more talent to throw at last year in NY. I must of missed the memo when Bernard Berrian turned in to Jerry Rice.
At least they could use the torn rotator cuff as a cruthc when Brett goes in to the toilet.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Coach Pants

I'm not convinced Rodgers is better than Favre.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I think I agree with Dani. Unless you are a Vikings fan, who cares? Sure he's an upgrade for the Vikings. But he's also a guy that was on a 8-3 team last year and couldn't get them in to the playoffs. At times he was just plain awful. Everyone thought that he would improve that team by 2-3 games, but he might have cost them that instead.
If I was a Bears or Packers fan I would be licking my chops about facing him twice this season. It will probably open it up for Peterson a bit, but despite what everyone says I personally think that he had more talent to throw at last year in NY. I must of missed the memo when Bernard Berrian turned in to Jerry Rice.
At least they could use the torn rotator cuff as a cruthc when Brett goes in to the toilet.

I am not a Vikings fan but I care. I love having Farve in the NFL.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
yeah, but the 8-3 team he was on last year was the jets...lol

seriously, one guy can't make or break a team in my opinion. but he will certainly help quite a bit, and is definitely an upgrade over the two qb's competing for the vikes starting job.

favre isn't the best qb out there, but he's still better than many. hell, i almost wish the 'skins had got him, as i i'm tired of waiting for campbell to step up a notch-or three.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I'm not convinced Rodgers is better than Favre.
i'm not either, and i still don't understand why the packers felt such a need to rush to the next guy.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
yeah, but the 8-3 team he was on last year was the jets...lol

seriously, one guy can't make or break a team in my opinion. but he will certainly help quite a bit, and is definitely an upgrade over the two qb's competing for the vikes starting job.

favre isn't the best qb out there, but he's still better than many. hell, i almost wish the 'skins had got him, as i i'm tired of waiting for campbell to step up a notch-or three.

I hope you get what you are asking for. Farve would get killed in the NFC East. He'll be lucky to get through the NFC North. Your guy is better right now. Farve is the most overrated player this decade IMO.

He loses games as often as he wins them... Just ask Joey. lol

The only thing that saves him, and he is lucky hes on the Vikings.. is the running game.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Flemington

I got a text message from a friend a few days ago that said if Brett Favre was black he'd have been vilified in the media for his antics over the last few years.

At least he doesn't have to play before the RNC .. or they might call him a flip flopper and hold up flip-flop's or something tremendously clever like that.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
i'm not either, and i still don't understand why the packers felt such a need to rush to the next guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-keIiVB-rsE
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Dixie, get off of sniper's computer.

Would you like to wager on whether or not they make the playoffs? 50 dollars?
They'd have made the playoffs with Sage Rosenfels at QB and probably still will do so when Favre is done by Week 8.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
They'd have made the playoffs with Sage Rosenfels at QB and probably still will do so when Favre is done by Week 8.
Entertaining press conferences and announcer compliments don't count in leagues, just wins and numbers. Expectations for Favre aren't that different than they would have been for Sage Rosenfels.

Ultimately, they are both high completion quarterbacks that throw too many interceptions. The Vikings should remain a run-first team, and Favre's pass attempts could drop while throwing to an average receiver group.

Plus there's the tiny concern that Favre is turning 40, hasn't worked out with a team all offseason, and couldn't convert deep passes last year.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club

yeah, i heard he made some disparaging remarks. who gives an ish what fran tarkenton has to say? kind of like when jon gruden told jaws that he was just mad that vick would sell more #7 jerseys than ron did!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Entertaining press conferences and announcer compliments don't count in leagues, just wins and numbers. Expectations for Favre aren't that different than they would have been for Sage Rosenfels.

Ultimately, they are both high completion quarterbacks that throw too many interceptions. The Vikings should remain a run-first team, and Favre's pass attempts could drop while throwing to an average receiver group.

Plus there's the tiny concern that Favre is turning 40, hasn't worked out with a team all offseason, and couldn't convert deep passes last year.

shouldn't any mention of brett and last year come with the tag line '...with the jets'?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
shouldn't any mention of brett and last year come with the tag line '...with the jets'?
Why should it?
His last 4 years.....88 TD's and 84 Int's. He had an exceptional 2007 season, but no way he's going to repeat that....

88-84. Is just showing what trend Favre is heading.

You don't think that Favre playing hurt the 2nd half of the season contributed to the Jets downfall last season? His receivers are better than the ones he's going to play with anyways.

Now this.....Citing a medical source, Profootballtalk.com reports that Brett Favre's partially torn rotator cuff has a good chance to worsen.

"Cleared to play does not mean 'cleared to play well,'" the source said. "He's at high risk (for greater tearing) both because of trauma and his style of play. He's going to stress his cuff." Favre has looked good in practices to this point, but this is a reminder that he may not be hitting on all cylinders.

Now after that said, I can be one of the first to tell you that not to trust Profootballtalk.com, but confirms that part of my suspicions say that Favre will not be anymore better than what Rosenfels offers.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Why should it?
His last 4 years.....88 TD's and 84 Int's. He had an exceptional 2007 season, but no way he's going to repeat that....

88-84. Is just showing what trend Favre is heading.

You don't think that Favre playing hurt the 2nd half of the season contributed to the Jets downfall last season? His receivers are better than the ones he's going to play with anyways.

Now this.....Citing a medical source, Profootballtalk.com reports that Brett Favre's partially torn rotator cuff has a good chance to worsen.

"Cleared to play does not mean 'cleared to play well,'" the source said. "He's at high risk (for greater tearing) both because of trauma and his style of play. He's going to stress his cuff." Favre has looked good in practices to this point, but this is a reminder that he may not be hitting on all cylinders.

Now after that said, I can be one of the first to tell you that not to trust Profootballtalk.com, but confirms that part of my suspicions say that Favre will not be anymore better than what Rosenfels offers.
i don't think just favre contributed to their skid in the latter half of the season. i also think that the line, and the receiving corps very much makes a Qb.
i will not make the argument that favre is one of the best out there anymore, but i would definitely argue he's better by far then what the vikes already had.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
I think some have been a little quick to dismiss the vikings this year and that is a huge mistake. Say what you want about Brett Favre but he can still make big league throws and he has receivers with a lot of speed. Combine this with arguably the best running back in the league and you have a very high powered offense. The defense is going to get better simply by not having to be on the field as long.

Im not saying they are going to win the whole thing but they will contend...barring injury of course.
Call me crazy, but how is that different than what they did last year with Jackson, then Frerotte, then Jackson again playing?? They won their division and made the playoffs. Does Favre really put them in the Super Bowl? On the plus side after his bicep surgery, they also found he has a torn rotator cuff. Call me crazy, but signing a 40 year old guy coming off bicep surgery with a torn rotator cuff for 25 million seems like not the smartest move in the book. Even when he had the great season two years ago he stunk it up horribly in the NFC championship game and he was not good last year either.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Call me crazy, but how is that different than what they did last year with Jackson, then Frerotte, then Jackson again playing?? They won their division and made the playoffs. Does Favre really put them in the Super Bowl? On the plus side after his bicep surgery, they also found he has a torn rotator cuff. Call me crazy, but signing a 40 year old guy coming off bicep surgery with a torn rotator cuff for 25 million seems like not the smartest move in the book. Even when he had the great season two years ago he stunk it up horribly in the NFC championship game and he was not good last year either.

so just think what they could have done with a decent QB, considering what they managed in spite of jackson and frerotte. seems like 20 years ago when gus was in d.c.