Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Steve Byk

Default BEYER: Defining Zenyatta's historical role

Andy Beyer with a pretty definitive fleshing out of Zenyatta's context.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092903591.html
Old 09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Jerome Park

I just read that not 5 minutes ago... Hope he has body guards
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Coach Pants

This is exhausting. I hope she retires after this weekend.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Sunshine Park

Yawn.....does this have anything to with his inability to properly produce speed figures for synthetic surfaces that mean anything? Also, isn't her Oaklawn number on dirt one of the best of her career? Whatever Andy.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
I just read that not 5 minutes ago... Hope he has body guards
No need. I'm sure the people most likely to go after him just had their head implode. Is there anybody left standing in California?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Morris Park

Default beyer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703043.html

Quote:
Zenyatta had never before faced a challenge like this one; her trainer John Shireffs stuck to a conservative course and was reluctant to enter her against males. Zenyatta couldn't ensure her place in history by beating overmatched filly competition. Her performance Saturday was the one that defined her greatness.
By Andrew Beyer
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
No need. I'm sure the people most likely to go after him just had their head implode. Is there anybody left standing in California?
Well, I'm still upright

I admit I'm a Zenyatta fan, but I'm a fan of any horse that can impress and entertain me, and Zenyatta does both. It does her a disservice to try to pin the label of "one of the all time greats" on her. She's very good at what she does, she entertains the spectators and makes it exciting by closing like she does but she should have had a more challenging career if her handlers truly wanted to have her labeled "all time great". She's no Secretariat but it's not fair to say she's the California equivalent of Peppers Pride.

I'm looking forward to seeing her this weekend, she puts on a great show... But I'm also looking forward to seeing Richard's Kid
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Randwyck

Very good article as usual. Citing the poor record of dirt horses running on synthetic in the BC has nothing to do with the ability of synthetic horses to run on dirt.
His opinion is that in the one race where she faced decent horses the competition was compromised by the surface. What nobody really knows is she could be the one who is being compromised. The million dollar question.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCat View Post
Well, I'm still upright

I admit I'm a Zenyatta fan, but I'm a fan of any horse that can impress and entertain me, and Zenyatta does both. It does her a disservice to try to pin the label of "one of the all time greats" on her. She's very good at what she does, she entertains the spectators and makes it exciting by closing like she does but she should have had a more challenging career if her handlers truly wanted to have her labeled "all time great". She's no Secretariat but it's not fair to say she's the California equivalent of Peppers Pride.

I'm looking forward to seeing her this weekend, she puts on a great show... But I'm also looking forward to seeing Richard's Kid
DC...have a great time
Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothewhip View Post
I laughed.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothewhip View Post
He had a year to think about it, and he retracted his article. So now when Zenyatta wins this years classic, he can refer to the 2009 article in which he said she was great. Politics in the future Andy?

Last edited by dagolfer33 : 09-30-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJake View Post
Also, isn't her Oaklawn number on dirt one of the best of her career?
No.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Randwyck

pathetic
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Pathetic is the most recent Hovdey blog.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Sunshine Park

Ateam - her first race at Oaklawn on the dirt is not one of her best beyers? Where does it rank? I don't have all of her races in front of me but for some reason I am thinking that was one of her best.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown View Post
I laughed.
so did i. didn't you know horses win 18 races straight all the time? including the breeders cup classic. wait a minute alot of these horses don't even run that many times anymore. boy, she stinks....lol. thanks for the article its a real eye opener. theres two or three really good horses racing in the whole country.....i guess shes not one of them andy. your supposed to be so good with your crappy numbers....do something useful and tell me who is going to beat her. i took history in school and history never cashed me a ticket.....lol. in fact, i think that involves looking ahead......i don't need your stupid "history" lesson.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Flemington

Here are some amusing quotes from the wonderful world of facebook about this column ...

NY Times Molly Jo Rosen:

Quote:
I'm wary to share this on my wall because I really disagree with what Andy writes. With all the respect I have for him diminishing the more I think about it, let me say this:

You don't assassinate the character of an elite athlete, let alone the best PR machine this sport's had since the 1970's. Will Zenyatta go down in... history as the best racehorse of all time? Who knows. But she's the best in the game right now and she and her connections deserve better than some cheap excuse to bemoan a bad surface.

I will simply say that as a member of the media, an owner, and a lifelong racing fan: while an interesting read, this was a low blow to racing. Period.

Bruno De Julio:

Quote:
I am sitting here clocking at Churchill and reading all the rhetoric being written on Zenyatta - I know what I see - I have clocked and watched the best - she is, hands down the best athlete I have ever seen, and for All the right reasons ...- I am sooooooo sick and tired to hear these blowhards continue to knock her - i am going to stop defending her she is a big girl and can handle herself
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Randwyck

The guy's strategy for the BC was to throw out all the dirt horses, yet he still couldn't come up with Zenyatta as the winner. I guess he's consistant.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMugg View Post
The guy's strategy for the BC was to throw out all the dirt horses, yet he still couldn't come up with Zenyatta as the winner. I guess he's consistant.
How many dirt horses even ran in last years Classic?

Like 3?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerS View Post
"assassinate the character"

Exactly what I am talking about. Molly Jo should be embarrassed. Such nonsense.
& the best PR machine since the 70's??? LOL thats why so many non racing fans are following Z's career

No horse in the past decade holds a candle to Smarty Jones as far as PR goes.