Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Del Mar

Default Night Officer

2yr old colt, by Officer out of a Coronado's Quest mare makes his debut at Delaware on Monday 7/19/10 Race 7 - #5 (10-1 ML)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Flemington

Gus I was looking at this race earlier...

The trainer stats on your horse.

Last 5 years, 2yr olds on dirt, first time starters

5/72, $1.41 ROI... Last winner was 10/8/07

So clearly this stat is really bad

Last 2 years, 2yr olds on dirt, first time starters

0/26
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Steve Byk

Talking about this race on ATR later...

Of interest in here for historic reasons is Pletcher's Claiborne homebred CONGO. His family dates to E.P. Taylor, including patriarch WINDFIELDS, Taylor's first breeding shed product. Also notable on Congo's page is third dam FRANFRELUCHE, the Canadian filly that was a fine runner but especially prolific mare getting 18 foals including L'ENJOLEUR (Canadian HOY) and LA VOYAGEUSE (3X Canadian Champion). Franfreluche was also involved in an American version of the Shergar story (of sorts), having been stolen from Claiborne in 1977 and found on a family farm 5 months later. (The family had found her wandering down a road near their farm). All three were crowning achievements in the racing empire of famed Quebecois titan Jean-Louis Levesque, who died in his 80's while I was living in Montreal. He was a remarkable man on many levels, and long a role model for French-Canadian achievement.

Congo may or may not be much, but a Pletcher stat of note is that since June 24, his FTS have won 7 of 15 debuts... Pletcher also unviels ORALE VATO in this race.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

Of interest in here for historic reasons is Pletcher's Claiborne homebred CONGO. His family dates to E.P. Taylor, including patriarch WINDFIELDS, Taylor's first breeding shed product. Also notable on Congo's page is third dam FRANFRELUCHE, the Canadian filly that was a fine runner but especially prolific mare getting 18 foals including L'ENJOLEUR (Canadian HOY) and LA VOYAGEUSE (3X Canadian Champion). Franfreluche was also involved in an American version of the Shergar story (of sorts), having been stolen from Claiborne in 1977 and found on a family farm 5 months later. (The family had found her wandering down a road near their farm). All three were crowning achievements in the racing empire of famed Quebecois titan Jean-Louis Levesque, who died in his 80's while I was living in Montreal. He was a remarkable man on many levels, and long a role model for French-Canadian achievement.

Congo may or may not be much, but a Pletcher stat of note is that since June 24, his FTS have won 7 of 15 debuts... Pletcher also unviels ORALE VATO in this race.
They tried to sell Congo at the Keeneland April Sale. She worked just mediocre. They couldn't sell her. They bought her back for $120k.

The filly that worked great in this race is Casperzapper but I don't know if she will like the dirt. Most of her dams's progeny were grass horses. In addition, the trainer is 0 for 18 with first-time starters.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
They tried to sell Congo at the Keeneland April Sale. She worked just mediocre. They couldn't sell her. They bought her back for $120k.

The filly that worked great in this race is Casperzapper but I don't know if she will like the dirt. Most of her dams's progeny were grass horses. In addition, the trainer is 0 for 18 with first-time starters.
Thx for that Rich. I'll mention this morning when bringing up the race...

Also needs to be reminded that Ghostzapper's FTS are still just 1 for 55 into today.

And while Steve Hobby may not win a lot overall with his debuters, they run OK when well bet. He is 20% W's with firsters at 4-1 or less with 80% ITM from the last 25 that fit that profile..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Randwyck

The 2b Yankee Passion worked in company in a May 3rd bullet with a Cindy Jones first out winner Raised With Pride who won on 5-26 at Delaware.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

I didn't know you once lived in Montreal...I have a serious weakness for Schartz's Montreal Smoked meat and their fries every 3years or so. I too remember that bizarre kidnapping of Franfreluche, when she was carrying a Secretariat foal I believe it was.

Last edited by CSC : 07-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
I didn't know you once lived in Montreal...I have serious weakness for Schartz's Montreal Smoked meat and their fries every 3years or so. I too remember that bizarre kidnapping of Franfreluche, when she was carrying a Secretariat foal I believe it was.
Lived in Montreal 10 years. 1990-1999. 2 years in St. Adele in the Laurentians and 7.5 years downtown on St. Mathieu below St. Catherine St. To say I enjoyed my time there immensely is an understatement.

Schwartz's has been eclipsed as Montreal's best Smoked Meat over the last 10 years. My friend Elliot Kligman's family business, Dunn's Famous Smoked Meat , is a much more consistant product. Visit next time you go to MTL.

And as a matter of fact, visitors to Saratoga can enjoy Dunn's Famous Smoked Meat sandwiches at Saratoga at my Carolina & Co. Cafe across from the Carousel.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Lived in Montreal 10 years. 1990-1999. 2 years in St. Adele in the Laurentians and 7.5 years downtown on St. Mathieu below St. Catherine St. To say I enjoyed my time there immensely is an understatement.

Schwartz's has been eclipsed as Montreal's best Smoked Meat over the last 10 years. My friend Elliot Kligman's family business, Dunn's Famous Smoked Meat , is a much more consistant product. Visit next time you go to MTL.

And as a matter of fact, visitors to Saratoga can enjoy Dunn's Famous Smoked Meat sandwiches at Saratoga at my Carolina & Co. Cafe across from the Carousel.
Never heard of Dunn's before, if it's better than Schwartz's that's really saying something. I like my smoked meat on the medium side, the fattier the better. Next time we are there, we will give it a go. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Of interest in here for historic reasons is Pletcher's Claiborne homebred CONGO.
I don't recall Pletcher saddling a Claiborne horse before. Are Mott, Stall and McGaughey out of space?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
I don't recall Pletcher saddling a Claiborne horse before. Are Mott, Stall and McGaughey out of space?
If you can't beatem join them... Won pretty well.. I bet the over 8 like a complete sucker.

Pletcher running stock at Delaware in Mdn Spl's is ridciulous and speaks to Chuck's posts about too much stock in the hands of two few trainers. Until the medication playingfield is leveled off I wonder why anything will change?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Steve Byk

Looks like a 55 Beyer..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
If you can't beatem join them... Won pretty well.. I bet the over 8 like a complete sucker.

Pletcher running stock at Delaware in Mdn Spl's is ridciulous and speaks to Chuck's posts about too much stock in the hands of two few trainers. Until the medication playingfield is leveled off I wonder why anything will change?
Now the Hancocks are joining them. Who next, the Phippses themselves?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Looks like a 55 Beyer..
Was hard to like the a Pletcher C team 2 year old regardless of the fine story.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Was hard to like the a Pletcher C team 2 year old regardless of the fine story.
His 2yr olds in Maiden Special Weight races are winning everywhere. He had a Bluegrass Cat at almost 8-1 with Jara win at Deleware first out a few weeks ago, so even when not bet, they are still running.