Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Woodbine

First Big East team goes down. Who is next Cincy? Uconn?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

What a debacle. St. John's got hosed in both seeding and location, and it shows. Should have been them beating up on Missouri instead of the Bearcats last night.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Coach Pants

Steve Lavin sucks.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Why? He took a team that had lost more Big East games over the previous seven seasons than any other in history and made the tournament. Not his fault the selection committee had it out for the Big East (see the freaking SECOND round matchup between UConn and Cincinnati on Saturday).
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Coach Pants

You're a St. John's fan? If so, you're satisfied with any modicum of success. Thus your opinion is biased.

In time you'll see that he sucks.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Why? He took a team that had lost more Big East games over the previous seven seasons than any other in history and made the tournament. Not his fault the selection committee had it out for the Big East (see the freaking SECOND round matchup between UConn and Cincinnati on Saturday).
11 teams in the tournament and you think they had it out for them? The big east is VERY over rated. It is a very good conference, but not 11 teams good. they got a 1 seed, 2 seed, two 3 seeds, yeah they got screwed. Don't complain about seedings just win. If you lose the first game you had no shot of making the final 4 so what does it matter
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
You're a St. John's fan? If so, you're satisfied with any modicum of success. Thus your opinion is biased.

In time you'll see that he sucks.
It's almost like the Knicks situation. People in the NY area are just thrilled that they were/are relavent again, so he'll have a free pass for a while just for making the tourney.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM

I love hearing that the Big East shouldn't have 11 teams, yet I've not heard a single person point out a resume from a non-Big East school that would necessitate only having, say, ten in the tournament. Just compare the 11 Big East resumes to the teams who didn't make the field.

I'm complaining about seeding because St. John's got absolutely hosed in both seeding and location. A., of the six seeds, they had the best profile and should have traveled the shortest distance. B., they were made to play against easily the top 11 seed in the entire bracket. I'd trade the place and team STJ had to play with any of the other six seeds 100 times out of 100.

And there are 11 Big East teams in the tournament, meaning conference foes shouldn't have to play each other before the round of 16. Only by intent was it set up that four Big East teams will eliminate each other before the second week of the tournament. If you think the selection committee didn't do that on purpose, then I don't know what to tell you.

So easy to say "the Big East is overrated" without even remotely substantiating the claim. Louisville lost yesterday because Morehead State systemically took out Louisville's two best players. St. John's mostly sucked, so no excuses there, but if that Morehead game was called fair, Morehead doesn't have a shot. A guy on Morehead literally bodyslammed Louisville's Siva, injuring him, and didn't get called. Awful officiating.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Coach Pants

That was a bodyslam? Sure it was a foul but come on. It just looked brutal cause that dude is a giant.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Should have least been two shots and the ball, IMO. Regardless, beating a crippled Louisville team doesn't necessarily reflect on an entire conference.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Should have least been two shots and the ball, IMO. Regardless, beating a crippled Louisville team doesn't necessarily reflect on an entire conference.
Absolutely not. Louisville was an overachiever all season. That team is pretty garbage...especially the tattooed douche who missed the free throws against UCONN and got the potential game winner blocked.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Pretty amazing that Louisville did as well as they did considering two of their three best returning players played less than 1/3 of the entire season because of injuries. Louisville should be pretty darn good next year.

The OVC is always tough. Fear Popeye Jones!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
That was a bodyslam? Sure it was a foul but come on. It just looked brutal cause that dude is a giant.
are we talking about the blocked shot at the end of the game?

the right non call was made. all ball. the only reason the kid fell is his momemtum was taking him that way and the blocked shot was powerful.

a foul call would have been horrible.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
are we talking about the blocked shot at the end of the game?

the right non call was made. all ball. the only reason the kid fell is his momemtum was taking him that way and the blocked shot was powerful.

a foul call would have been horrible.
no.

It was the play when Siva went to the basket and tried to challenge Faried.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Yeah, no complaint about the play at the end of the game. It was borderline, but can't be called in that situation. Any other time of the game and that is typically called, though folks don't challenge three's quite so vociferously in the first half.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
no.

It was the play when Siva went to the basket and tried to challenge Faried.
oh okay..

there were a few missed calls yesterday. Jimmer got crushed a few times with no calls (then again, he has the ball on every play). I think there was a big no call in the Penn State game towards the end.

But overall, great basketball. And besides WVU (my brothers school), Fucl< the Big East! They are always so overrated.

I had Richmond and Gonzaga in my bracket, missed Morehead, UCLA, Cinci & Kansas St.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Yeah, no complaint about the play at the end of the game. It was borderline, but can't be called in that situation. Any other time of the game and that is typically called, though folks don't challenge three's quite so vociferously in the first half.
its was a ballsy but big time play by the defender
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Jerome Park

I wonder if I'll be able to slip out of work an hour early today to watch the entire U of A game.. my bosses are out today.. hmm
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Agreed. Though I have to disagree on Jimmer ever getting crushed. From watching that Wofford game last night, I'm pretty sure breathing on Jimmer might have been a foul in a few situations. Nobody gets more calls than that guy. Gonzaga is going to crush BYU.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Agreed. Though I have to disagree on Jimmer ever getting crushed. From watching that Wofford game last night, I'm pretty sure breathing on Jimmer might have been a foul in a few situations. Nobody gets more calls than that guy. Gonzaga is going to crush BYU.
Jimmer is awesome. First time I've seen him play. Is he a senior? I wonder how he'll project in the NBA, but he seems like a great passer as well as shooter so he could be a good one.