Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Right, well someone else is missing my point. Based on Arizona's regular season, there's no way anybody could have predicted they would go to the Elite Eight. Hell, if it wasn't for some really good fortune, they could have - and probably should have - lost to both Memphis and Texas. Their best win out of conference was against the worst team in either the ACC or the Big 12, take your pick.

Hindsight is just so easy for you guys. Seriously, how many teams win 25 games in the Pac 10 and get a five seed? if you think the Pac 10 was anything better than the sixth best league this season, I don't know what to tell you. Only the SEC East sucked any worse than did the Pac 10. It's easy to say "so and so was decent" when you're completely neglecting to mention the fact that 50 percent of that league was pure, unadulterated dog crap this year.

So yeah, I wasn't a believer in Arizona for this year's tournament, and I know I wasn't the only one.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Right, well someone else is missing my point. Based on Arizona's regular season, there's no way anybody could have predicted they would go to the Elite Eight. Hell, if it wasn't for some really good fortune, they could have - and probably should have - lost to both Memphis and Texas. Their best win out of conference was against the worst team in either the ACC or the Big 12, take your pick.

Hindsight is just so easy for you guys. Seriously, how many teams win 25 games in the Pac 10 and get a five seed? if you think the Pac 10 was anything better than the sixth best league this season, I don't know what to tell you. Only the SEC East sucked any worse than did the Pac 10. It's easy to say "so and so was decent" when you're completely neglecting to mention the fact that 50 percent of that league was pure, unadulterated dog crap this year.

So yeah, I wasn't a believer in Arizona for this year's tournament, and I know I wasn't the only one.
Regardless of how their schedule looked and what their conference did, If you had seen them play at any point, you would know that they have some talent. In no way do they "stink" nor did they at any point leading up to the tournament.

There is a huge chasm between a team stinking and a team making the elite 8. Even if you didn't have them going deep, to proclaim them as a bad team is just a bad opinion born out of a lack of understanding of the game or never having actually seen them play. Either way, you look bad trying to defend your awful position.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

and you were completely wrong with your pre tournament opinion.

I happened to actually watch and follow Arizona this season, and knew they had some incredibly talented players, along with the most talented player in the nation, and thought they'd make a run. Though I did figure they'd lose to Duke.

There are also people like you out there that think Derrick Williams just started playing good in March, not realizing he had as good of a season as anyone is basketball. He averaged 1.95 points per shot attempt. that is downright incredible.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Regardless of how their schedule looked and what their conference did, If you had seen them play at any point, you would know that they have some talent. In no way do they "stink" nor did they at any point leading up to the tournament.

There is a huge chasm between a team stinking and a team making the elite 8. Even if you didn't have them going deep, to proclaim them as a bad team is just a bad opinion born out of a lack of understanding of the game or never having actually seen them play. Either way, you look bad trying to defend your awful position.
exactly

and its not even hindsight. Arizona was a good basketball team all season.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Nobody is saying Arizona didn't have a good season. What I am saying is that coming into the tournament, they were a complete enigma who literally hadn't beaten a quality team out of conference the entire season. That's a fact. It's fine to say "Derrick Williams is awesome!!!" and the like, but when a team's best out of conference win was Oklahoma or NC State, I'm sorry, but that is a team with suspect credentials coming into the NCAA tournament.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
and you were completely wrong with your pre tournament opinion.

I happened to actually watch and follow Arizona this season, and knew they had some incredibly talented players, along with the most talented player in the nation, and thought they'd make a run. Though I did figure they'd lose to Duke.

There are also people like you out there that think Derrick Williams just started playing good in March, not realizing he had as good of a season as anyone is basketball. He averaged 1.95 points per shot attempt. that is downright incredible.
This is just jibberish. Because I have an opinion on Arizona that contradicts yours, I've suddenly watched no college basketball this season and I don't know who a first team All-American is? If you were worth my time, I think I'd be offended.

The two of you today make me want to say something incredibly sexist, you really do.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Coach Pants

college basketball is f.ucking terrible. Butler and VCU make Houston business owners wanna jump out their f.ucking windows and you a.ssholes are arguing over these s.hit programs like it means anything.

This is, arguably, the worst NCAA tournament of all time. It is a disaster.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM

antitrust has been watching Butler and VCU all season, and she knew all along that they had some very talented players and had great seasons, so the NCAA tournament really can't suck, Coach. Nice try though.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
This is just jibberish. Because I have an opinion on Arizona that contradicts yours, I've suddenly watched no college basketball this season and I don't know who a first team All-American is? If you were worth my time, I think I'd be offended.

The two of you today make me want to say something incredibly sexist, you really do.
When I said people like you.. I didnt really mean that you didnt know Derrick Williams was good all season..

I said people like you because you didnt know Arizona was good all season.

You put too much weight on out of conference games that happened in the beginning of the season and do not give the Pac 10 any credit for having some highly talented teams.

Derrick made 2nd team All American (which is such bull crap and east coast bias) and I was reading posts on another forum that basically said, Oh just because you have one good game against Duke doesnt mean you should be 1st team. And it made me think of your judgement of Arizona.

They were solid and consistantly good all season. They have a really good coach. They won the Pac 10 regular season and lost on a buzzer beater in Overtime to Washington (a good team in their own right) in the Pac 10 championship game. They have the most talented player in College BBall.. it really should not have surprised anyone that they made a deep run. Though how they completely bent Duke over did surprise me some.

There is a definate east coast bias when it comes to college basketball. Any team that wins 30 games over the course of a whole season is freaking good.

get your panties out of a damn wad. "if you were worth my time" <-- good one.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
antitrust has been watching Butler and VCU all season, and she knew all along that they had some very talented players and had great seasons, so the NCAA tournament really can't suck, Coach. Nice try though.
I only followed a handful of teams. Arizona, Temple, Florida & WVU (me and my families alma maters, plus Florida because I'm 40 mins from Gainesville and that is all I hear about on Sports talk radio) I dont care much for college basketball besides the U of A.

you were wrong about them. its okay. my whole bracket was wrong and I'm not nearly as offended as you to admit that.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM

When I did I say I wasn't wrong? I must have missed that part.

Obviously, Arizona was better than I gave them credit for coming out of a miserable BCS conference. Obviously, Derrick Williams is a very nice player (who should absolutely not enter the NBA Draft, by the way). Like I said 1,832,943 times already in this stupid, God-foresken thread, I thought - like most other people who saw Arizona play this year - that they were more of a byproduct of the PAC 10 being dreadful once again than anything else. Quite clearly, they proved they were a better team than most thought in this year's NCAA tournament. I don't get where I've said that hindsight has shown they weren't a capable team; my entire argument was about their play coming into the tournament and the late season semi-swoon in the Pac 10 tournament as well as against the SoCal teams.

In any event, while I did have UConn and UK in the Final Four in my office pool, more power to anybody who had an eight seed who lost to Youngstown State in February and an 11 seed who lost to James Madison and Northeastern this season in their Final Four.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Is my pick to win the National Championship. Best player in the country, Mr. Barnes is a total stud and can lead this team all the way. The bracket is brutal, far and away the best collection of teams IMO so UNC will have to be ready everynight. It just sucks that Syracuse and them will meet up early because I thought Cuse was sitting on a deep run.
I dont think any of the #1 seeds make the final four. I think BYU and San Diego State are both capable of making deep runs. Notre Dame is deadly also, and Arizona can beat Texas and Duke.
Just to repost the original RHT thought on the tournament in this thread. He had basically one good pull out of seven touts. So yeah, sucks for me that my thoughts on the bracket were right on the other six. RHT sure got me good.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Jerome Park

I really hope Derrick Williams stays. We have a real good class coming in next year, with the #2 rated point guard (Nick Johnson) and could compete for a championship next year if D-Will stays.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Just to repost the original RHT thought on the tournament in this thread. He had basically one good pull out of seven touts. So yeah, sucks for me that my thoughts on the bracket were right on the other six. RHT sure got me good.
Where were these 6 things that you were right about in this thread, slotard? I am talking before the games started?

You tried to say RHT was wrong about no Number 1's, and you were wrong. You tried to say he was wrong about zona. You were wrong there. You bashed BYU and their chances. Wrong there.

Please post these 6 things slotbilas.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
I really hope Derrick Williams stays. We have a real good class coming in next year, with the #2 rated point guard (Nick Johnson) and could compete for a championship next year if D-Will stays.
He could use a little bulk up top before he heads to the NBA. Still, he comes out now and he's a lottery pick, so that might be a tough thing to ignore.