Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Steve Byk

Default 8/19 (DMR): Pacific Classic, DMR Oaks (G1's), DMR Handicap (G2)

1 ROYAL ALBERT HALL-GB (Corey Nakatani) 30-1
2 COLLECTED (Martin Garcia) 5/2
3 ACCELERATE (Victor Espinoza) 3-1
4 SORRY ERIK (Kent Desormeaux) 30-1
5 HARD ACES (Santiago Gonzalez) 20-1
6 DONWORTH (Mario Gutierrez) 15-1
7 CURLIN ROAD (Flavien Prat) 20-1
8 ARROGATE (Mike Smith) 1-1

Last edited by Kasept : 08-16-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Oriental Park

Has there ever been a horse with his talent, who really had no excuse, run as poorly as he did and then rebound?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Has there ever been a horse with his talent, who really had no excuse, run as poorly as he did and then rebound?
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
I thought the same...I was told he was running here for sure about a week ago. I still find it hard to believe a truly great horse would have issues with surface, he never has anywhere else. My best guess is maybe he is getting studish?

This is a different track, maybe plays to the east coast better, maybe you need a race over it...have no clue but its def not SA or old Del Mar.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post

Its very interesting that both Arrogate and Collected are in this race. Collected has been training lights out and if can get the distance will be a handful to beat here.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Its very interesting that both Arrogate and Collected are in this race. Collected has been training lights out and if can get the distance will be a handful to beat here.
I always felt like 10F was beyond his scope, and on this track its a real 10 furlongs this year. But he is training and talented, and you have that whole bet the longer priced Baffert horse thingy
Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Goodwood

Normally, when a horse of anywhere near Arrogates ability runs such an inexplicable race this close to the end of its career, it's just retired. Baffert didn't seem surprised or concerned even with the race. Instead of the usual talk about going over him with every diagnostic test available, he spoke like he had confidence that Arrogate would run back to form in a few weeks.

It was pretty odd.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Normally, when a horse of anywhere near Arrogates ability runs such an inexplicable race this close to the end of its career, it's just retired. Baffert didn't seem surprised or concerned even with the race. Instead of the usual talk about going over him with every diagnostic test available, he spoke like he had confidence that Arrogate would run back to form in a few weeks.

It was pretty odd.
I have pointed that out in other places, his comments before the race and after the race were at complete odds with other...nervous before, almost making excuses...to we will be fine in a few weeks.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I have pointed that out in other places, his comments before the race and after the race were at complete odds with other...nervous before, almost making excuses...to we will be fine in a few weeks.
It is pretty odd!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think he is a mortal lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.

Last edited by RHT2004 : 08-16-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I think he is a moral lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.
I dont buy that, no matter how he runs his value is cemented based on when he was right not when he was wrong. I think its a great unknown to everyone but there is actually very little to lose.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I think he is a moral lock. Why not retire him? He's running because he is ready.
Yeah, he's a mortal lock too, though his morals are impeccable. In all seriousness, he should destroy that field.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he's a mortal lock too, though his morals are impeccable. In all seriousness, he should destroy that field.
Mortal. He crushes them.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I would point out Collected has never lost on a fast track i believe...and his TF figure is only a few points below Arrogate, he easily could be a very very good horse.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I would point out Collected has never lost on a fast track i believe...and his TF figure is only a few points below Arrogate, he easily could be a very very good horse.
I dont think he wants 10f. Would have bet him going 9f at Saratoga.
Thats the only thing i think is a bit strange..... Collected has gotten very good, so his presence alone vs Arrogate makes me wonder.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I'm in no way denigrating Collected. Arrogate is simply in another level.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
Arrogate scratched. Enter him to scare away horses from your stablemate. Racing is really crappy sometimes. You could see this for miles when collected was also entered.
Its a fake report. (I fell for it too )
Old 08-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I deleted it but still think he will scratch.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Who did he scare away?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Who did he scare away?
No one. Its silly.