Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Oriental Park

Default not 1 dirt horse

no dirt horse winners at all last 2 yrs - please take the BC off of this poly stuff
Old 11-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Churchill Downs

I'm looking forward to a return to the Breeders' Cup on traditional dirt, but New York-based horses have never performed well in the non-turf races in Breeders' Cups held in California. Prior to Pro-ride, the speed-favoring nature of the Hollywood and Santa Anita ovals was blamed for Eastern disappointments, so I don't know what the past two years' results prove.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
I'm looking forward to a return to the Breeders' Cup on traditional dirt, but New York-based horses have never performed well in the non-turf races in Breeders' Cups held in California. Prior to Pro-ride, the speed-favoring nature of the Hollywood and Santa Anita ovals was blamed for Eastern disappointments, so I don't know what the past two years' results prove.
Chief's Crown, Skip Away, Favorite Trick, Epitome, Countess Diana, Lady's Secret, Ajina, Eillo, and Smile would suggest otherwise.

And those are just the winners. Plenty of other East coasters have hit the board in CA.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Chief's Crown, Skip Away, Favorite Trick, Epitome, Countess Diana, Lady's Secret, Ajina, Eillo, and Smile would suggest otherwise.

And those are just the winners. Plenty of other East coasters have hit the board in CA.
Eastern shippers in the last 2 years have really been throw outs as far as winners on the main track except Cowboy Cal.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi

Most of these are not NY-based horses. The long list of short-priced NY-based horses that spun their wheels in California Cups include Slew O' Gold, Groovy (x2), Dehere, Sky Beauty, Heavenly Prize, Behrens, Grand Slam, Sightseek, and Aldebaran. No NY-based horse won a Breeders Cup dirt race in either 2003 or 1993, the last two times the Cup was held at Santa Anita.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Eastern shippers in the last 2 years have really been throw outs as far as winners on the main track except Cowboy Cal.
Einstein and Gio Ponti, too.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Most of these are not NY-based horses. The long list of short-priced NY-based horses that spun their wheels in California Cups include Slew O' Gold, Groovy (x2), Dehere, Sky Beauty, Heavenly Prize, Behrens, Grand Slam, Sightseek, and Aldebaran. No NY-based horse won a Breeders Cup dirt race in either 2003 or 1993, the last two times the Cup was held at Santa Anita.
Slew O Gold lost by a 1/2 length with severe traffic trouble. It wasn't the surface.

Groovy was 2nd and 4th IIRC, he basically just got outsprinted in a full field the way Zensational did yesterday.

Sky Beauty never did anything outside of NY.

Heavenly Prize was making just her 3rd start and ran a sharp 3rd in a strong field.

Grand Slam suffered severe lacerations in a hind leg on the first turn of the '97 Juvenile.

Sightseek never performed well in CA, granted.

Aldeberan never won a race at 6f. He would have won if it was 7f, in fact he was a Grade 1 winner in CA in the San Carlos.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
the results prove nothing. this year i bet it with just poly and grass horses. did great friday. but as far as calling it "world championships". thats a joke. the dirt horses never run to potential and after two years in a row its even more obvious. the dirt horses seem to have no shot. they make a big deal of the classic where a dirt horse did not hit the board in two years. give me a break. gio ponti would never even enter a dirt race and he is second in the classic? it was a nice couple days with nice racing, but, calling it "championships" is a lie and a joke. now everyone knows why half the "dirt" horses did not show and i can't blame them.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Churchill Downs

it is however the pro cush/poly world championship
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Del Mar

Well maybe the east coast owners/trainers with dirt loving horses should have boycotted this cup and had their horses just stay home and point towards any of the nice remaining dirt races left in NY and Kentucky.

I mean is this result so shocking to everybody? I took a shot with Quality Road in the Classic because of odds and a default of an opinion. Were there any horses from the east coast that really shocked anybody with their poor performance?

Until we get a boycott from the east coast horses, they'll probably continue to have the cup out West on the poly (when the rotation gets there).

I think its really simple. You know your horse loves dirt and wont take well to poly....then stay home! Dont run.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Churchill Downs

The big $ will always keep em hoping that they will run on poly. so they will keep trying and losing
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
no dirt horse winners at all last 2 yrs - please take the BC off of this poly stuff
Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
the results prove nothing.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 AM
The Curragh

I disagree that the results prove nothing. The results prove who is best on a synthetic surface.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Les Bois

Default Santa Anita

I have been to Breeders Cups at 4 different tracks, including SA 3 times. By far the most enjoyable racing experience has been at Santa Anita in terms of ease of betting, getting to the paddock and back to the track, standing in line for food, and this year I had it figured out and won big. And, this year no break downs--most importantly. The worst experience was Churchhill. The crowds made it imposible to get to paddock at all and almost hard to see horses come out on track and still bet. And breakdowns. If BC stays more in the cold of the east with dirt at least have more BCs at Belmont. This was also great for the race viewer.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I disagree that the results prove nothing. The results prove who is best on a synthetic surface.
oh yeah, you are right. it proves what grass horses love the pro ride. its great how they call the races "classics", "dirt" sprint and "dirt" mile.......lol
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Randwyck

Its funny , alot of people blame the synthetic track here in Cali for horses bad performances and trainers not wanting to come and run , but Id love know how many folks on the east coast had compliments for our old dirt track ?
I dont really recall trainers from the east ever saying , "wow that sure is a fine dirt track they have at Santa Anita" or " boy that track at Santa Anita sure is kind ".
Most heard from the east was "the tracks in Cali are like running down the 405 freeway" or "Im not going to run my horse on that pavement they call a racetrack in Cali". Hell even the owner of the place didnt want to race his freak Ghostzapper on it for fear of what it might do to the horse.

There are alot of rumors going around about the track going back to dirt , here's what we get to look forward to: Running on a sealed track when it rains , the backside drying out while the frontside is still a boggy marsh , horses breaking down and dying alot more often and less Euro intrest in running in the World Championships. Sounds great to me.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Its funny , alot of people blame the synthetic track here in Cali for horses bad performances and trainers not wanting to come and run , but Id love know how many folks on the east coast had compliments for our old dirt track ?
I dont really recall trainers from the east ever saying , "wow that sure is a fine dirt track they have at Santa Anita" or " boy that track at Santa Anita sure is kind ".
Most heard from the east was "the tracks in Cali are like running down the 405 freeway" or "Im not going to run my horse on that pavement they call a racetrack in Cali". Hell even the owner of the place didnt want to race his freak Ghostzapper on it for fear of what it might do to the horse.

There are alot of rumors going around about the track going back to dirt , here's what we get to look forward to: Running on a sealed track when it rains , the backside drying out while the frontside is still a boggy marsh , horses breaking down and dying alot more often and less Euro intrest in running in the World Championships. Sounds great to me.
Respectfully this is nonsense.. If they replace the rubber with a state of the art new dirt formation it certainly would be fine. Imagine if they rebuilt the dirt surface with all the new technology that is currently available? I think IF they hired the right folks and spent the appropiate amount of money SA could have a fantastic brand spanking new dirt track. It COULD be the envy of the world..As for the breakdown and your allegations that dirt kills horses, I strongly suggest you forward some factual evidence because if it is indeed true, dirt tracks should be abolished AT ONCE since nobody wants horses dying.. Unfortunately and I mean that sincerely there doesnt seem to be one single thread of evidence supporting your allegations that rubber is safer.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Respectfully this is nonsense.. If they replace the rubber with a state of the art new dirt formation it certainly would be fine. Imagine if they rebuilt the dirt surface with all the new technology that is currently available? I think IF they hired the right folks and spent the appropiate amount of money SA could have a fantastic brand spanking new dirt track. It COULD be the envy of the world..As for the breakdown and your allegations that dirt kills horses, I strongly suggest you forward some factual evidence because if it is indeed true, dirt tracks should be abolished AT ONCE since nobody wants horses dying.. Unfortunately and I mean that sincerely there doesnt seem to be one single thread of evidence supporting your allegations that rubber is safer.
Id love to know about this " new dirt technology" , can you tell me which tracks have it and maybe where I could find more informaation about it . Where is the racetrack located that last installed the "new dirt technology".

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Id love to know about this " new dirt technology" , can you tell me which tracks have it and maybe where I could find more informaation about it . Where is the racetrack located that last installed the "new dirt technology".

I think Oaklawn revamped their dirt and its done very well in the horse fatality department.

I kinda think that is what he meant.