Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Randwyck

ARyan that is a fantastic recommendation... although there are very few tables there so get a reservation early. Great food for a fair price too.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

We missed the Ice Cream Eating contest on Wed. literally by minutes.

Food:

Mexican Connection: Freaking massive portions and very good mexican food. The margaritas were good -- but they're a little better tasting at the place we favor in Erie... and drinking a pitcher seems to get me much more smashed at the local one. One of the few times in my life I ever went to a decent place when I was hungry, got something I liked a lot, and couldn't finish it.

Nove's (formerly Sergio's) : The GPS in my girlfriends car (Gartmin -- but I always called it Cartman) took us to a trailor park. I insisted on wanting to get out and ask people in the trailor park for directions -- turns out -- the place was on the other end of 9N and for some reasons, the GPS is massively wrong.

We finally find the place, and it's located next to another trailor park.

Other than that, I loved the place. Thought the food was very good, the prices very reasonable, the atmosphere nice. The table next to us towards the end was so loud -- you could hear every word of about 3 seperate conversations going on. My girlfriend goes "I feel like I'm in a mob movie right now"

Cantina : Mexican place on broadway. The greater was smoking hot. The waitress was also quite hot. I wasn't feeling the direction the place was going from the start. The Nachos were like whole grain wheat. The salsa wasn't spicy at all -- but my gf loved it. The meal was good -- but relatively overpriced.

Boca Bistro: I came across Blackthroatedwind on the street before the races on Thursday -- and he gave me this one. I only stayed for the first 4 races today -- and was planning on hitting this place up. We went in, but they were doing happy hour and the menu just had appetizers on it. The menu looked foreign to me.

I also stumbled into a few other DT'ers like Byk, Rudeboy, Sheets, and Golfer.

Some of the places I got wasted at included The Horse Shoe, and some random bars off of Broadway. One of the dive type ones had $5 cans of Fosters that were about 28ozs. After getting stumbling drunk, my sober gf would drive me to our hotel (A Best Western right by the Albany airport -- everything else was pretty much booked everywhere else. $148 a night after taxes for a Best Western in Albany is nuts)

I cost myself all action for the trip. Everytime I was driven back to the hotel -- my drunk ass collapsed face first into bed and passed out.

The most disturbing moment of the trip came as we were leaving Saratoga -- my gf was driving on Broadway and suddenly started freaking out and yelling "Oh My Gawd!!! Ahhhh!!!!!" -- I thought maybe she forgot something at the hotel... no, she saw "Countess from Real Housewives of New York walking with her boyfriend Jauques" ... followed by " I HATE HER SO MUCH!!! I want to roll the window down and shout C-Unt and say Fucl< you too Jauques!" I looked over, never expecting to be the voice of reason, and said "Please, don't!"

I had absolutely no idea who she was talking about -- but it was very weird.

All in all, good brief getaway.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

Food:

Mexican Connection: Freaking massive portions and very good mexican food. The margaritas were good -- but they're a little better tasting at the place we favor in Erie... and drinking a pitcher seems to get me much more smashed at the local one. One of the few times in my life I ever went to a decent place when I was hungry, got something I liked a lot, and couldn't finish it.

Nove's (formerly Sergio's) : The GPS in my girlfriends car (Gartmin -- but I always called it Cartman) took us to a trailor park. I insisted on wanting to get out and ask people in the trailor park for directions -- turns out -- the place was on the other end of 9N and for some reasons, the GPS is massively wrong.

Other than that, I loved the place. Thought the food was very good, the prices very reasonable, the atmosphere nice. The table next to us towards the end was so loud -- you could hear every word of about 3 seperate conversations going on. My girlfriend goes "I feel like I'm in a mob movie right now"

Cantina : Mexican place on broadway. The greater was smoking hot. The waitress was also quite hot. I wasn't feeling the direction the place was going from the start. The Nachos were like whole grain wheat. The salsa wasn't spicy at all -- but my gf loved it. The meal was good -- but relatively overpriced.

Boca Bistro: I came across Blackthroatedwind on the street before the races on Thursday -- and he gave me this one. I only stayed for the first 4 races today -- and was planning on hitting this place up. We went in, but they were doing happy hour and the menu just had appetizers on it. The menu looked foreign to me.

Some of the places I got wasted at included The Horse Shoe, and some random bars off of Broadway. One of the dive type ones had $5 cans of Fosters that were about 28ozs. After getting stumbling drunk, my sober gf would drive me to our hotel (A Best Western right by the Albany airport -- everything else was pretty much booked everywhere else. $148 a night after taxes for a Best Western in Albany is nuts)

I cost myself all action for the trip. Everytime I was driven back to the hotel -- my drunk ass collapsed face first into bed and passed out.

The most disturbing moment of the trip came as we were leaving Saratoga -- my gf was driving on Broadway and suddenly started freaking out and yelling "Oh My Gawd!!! Ahhhh!!!!!" -- I thought maybe she forgot something at the hotel... no, she saw "Countess from Real Housewives of New York walking with her boyfriend Jauques" ... followed by " I HATE HER SO MUCH!!! I want to roll the window down and shout C-Unt and say Fucl< you too Jauques!" I looked over, never expecting to be the voice of reason, and said "Please, don't!"

You must really dig this chick, as you actually care about what she wants/thinks/needs.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
I looked over, never expecting to be the voice of reason, and said "Please, don't!"
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I love your vacation threads, Doug.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Food:

awesome!

How did she like Saratoga?? I imagine a little better than Mountaineer?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
awesome!

How did she like Saratoga?? I imagine a little better than Mountaineer?
She liked Saratoga a lot. Actually, she had a good time on the Mountaineer and Wheeling dogs trip as well ... until I started carrying her on rides (the good ones) at Cedar Point.

We drove each other nuts on the drive there. It first started with her mocking the way I packed and breaking out her camera to take a picture of it ...

She asked me if I didn't have a bag for it -- and I just looked at her like she was an alien and told her that only homosexuals pack clothes and computers in bags.

From there -- she accused me of complaining about her slow driving on the highway ... I told her that is impossible, because I am a silent complainer. She started laughing hysterically behind the wheel -- almost to the point of crying -- and told me that was the funniest thing I've said since I told her that I think people are coming by at night and stealing my flowers.

At the first stop -- I took over the driving duties.

Anyone who knows anything about highway driving knows about 'The Method' ... that's where you wait for someone to come around going 90+ MPH and pass you ... and you instantly speed up and follow them going just a shade slower -- they become your cover and they get the speeding ticket if a cop is ahead while you don't.

She consistently watched as people passed her slow ass going about 95mph and she didn't speed up at all. Not me... I worked the method.

She pretended her hardest not to be impressed with my masterful and brilliant display of strategic highway driving. So, she pulled out a camera and started bugging me the hell out of me to try to disregard the fact that she drives like Grandma Gertrude ... and I'm making time like a beast.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Anyone who knows anything about highway driving knows about 'The Method' ... that's where you wait for someone to come around going 90+ MPH and pass you ... and you instantly speed up and follow them going just a shade slower -- they become your cover and they get the speeding ticket if a cop is ahead while you don't.

She consistently watched as people passed her slow ass going about 95mph and she didn't speed up at all. Not me... I worked the method.
It doesn't work in El Paso, Texas if you have out of state tags.
9 mph over the limit in a 55 mph zone and $200 fine.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
It doesn't work in El Paso, Texas if you have out of state tags.
9 mph over the limit in a 55 mph zone and $200 fine.

Did you have cover?

In theory, if you're going 64 in a 55 -- but the guy in front of you is going a little faster... you should never get a ticket.

If so, I would have come out of the drivers seat like George Brett when he was called out for pine-tar.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Jerome Park

sounds like you may have found yourself a keeper, Doug!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Did you have cover?

In theory, if you're going 64 in a 55 -- but the guy in front of you is going a little faster... you should never get a ticket.

If so, I would have come out of the drivers seat like George Brett when he was called out for pine-tar.
It was the start of rush hour and a boat load of traffic had exited the highway.
I followed a utility pickup truck who was in the far left and I moved over to the center lane. We both passed the cop who was sitting at the bottom of the hill.
He simply said "You're the one I caught."

Ultimately I paid an El Paso lawyer who solicited me $40 bucks and after two years of delays they dropped the charges.

From everyone I've spoken to the rule of thumb is don't speed in Texas.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Ellis Park

You can speed in Texas out on I-10 going west of Houston. Almost everyone is doing 85 plus. Just dont speed when you cant see great distances ahead....

True story,

I was a passenger in a truck 2 years ago going to San Antonio. The guy that was driving "his Truck" was going about 85 the whole way. On the way back, driving about the same speed, he passed a cop who was between the trees about 40 yds off the road. I told him we just passed a cop and looking back, i saw he was about to get up on the highway. My crazy friend sped up and got off the next exit and told me you have to get in the drivers seat otherwise he will go to jail, due to unpaid tickets........so we switched seats after getting off and the cop didnt seem fooled at all. He went right to the passenger side and asked him for ID...Lucky for him, i guess the guy didnt run his name, he just gave me a ticket.....
Not to terrible an ending, defensive driving took care of my ticket....
I will never go with this crazy dude anywhere if he is driving again.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
The Curragh

5 short months out... Any recommendations for a decent sit down dinner for opening day eve? Walking distance from Hampton Inn.

Prob pass on Sperry's. Have done Olde Bryant Inn last several years with varying degrees of success. Some in our group care to branch out.

On a sep. note discovered 9 Maple over off season. Not sure how I missed it for last 20 years or how it is during Track season, but thinking it is ideal for Thurs before opener.

Once ticket applications go out, I have to admit I get excited...
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy View Post
5 short months out... Any recommendations for a decent sit down dinner for opening day eve? Walking distance from Hampton Inn.

Prob pass on Sperry's. Have done Olde Bryant Inn last several years with varying degrees of success. Some in our group care to branch out.

On a sep. note discovered 9 Maple over off season. Not sure how I missed it for last 20 years or how it is during Track season, but thinking it is ideal for Thurs before opener.

Across the street, if not for dinner than breakfast:

http://www.scallionsrestaurant.com/#
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The Curragh

Thanks. Have walked by many times, never tried.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Jerome Park

Scallions is good. So is Maestros.

Best restaurant in town closed...Beekman Street Bistro. Big loss.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Fairgrounds

How can a restaurant have sustainability in such a specialized area? Other than the core 8 weeks or so, it must be so tough for an operator.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
How can a restaurant have sustainability in such a specialized area? Other than the core 8 weeks or so, it must be so tough for an operator.
Believe it or not there is more to the town than just a race track.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Saratoga

Used to stay up in Bolton Landing on Lake George when I worked at the Spa. Different situation up there than Saratoga, of course, but most of the restaurant/bar owners I talked to said they made all their money for the year between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and basically took the rest of the year off. Nice work if you can get it!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy View Post

Scallions looks good...grilled cheese short rib sandwich? How did we miss this place? Walked past it 100 times. Still don't get why the food sucks in saratoga.