Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
On a positive note (the pinstripes are going to come out now) you have a big three now of Sabathia, Wang and joba. Hughes should be back and is probably going to get pretty good if he can stay healthy (operative IF). Now they are throwing money at Burnett. Thats a very solid pitching staff. The question is, why would you throw five years and 80 million on a guy thats 31, injury prone and most likely your number 5 pitcher?

Either way, this staff could easily be amongst the best. If everything goes perfectly, they will be THE best.

Now im hearing Melky for Mike Cameron? I guess they will take whatever they can get for melky now even if its another centerfielder that should no longer be playing center field.
Joba is hardly a given and Hughes has yet to pitch 1/2 of a season. Burnett allows Joba to stay in the set up role while they figure out what to do with him. Burnett would be the 2nd best starter until proven otherwise or injured again. They still have question marks. CC is a given and Wang should be ok as is Burnett. But you are counting on hughes, kennedy and/or Joba giving you 500 innings and that is far from a given. Joba in the rotation makes the bullpen still a shaky option. The best situation is CC, Burnett, Wang, Hughes, and Kennedy as starters and Joba and Mariano closing the games out.

aging, declining outfielders are now a Yankee specialty.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Flemington

I guess I am biased about Cameron. He has done nothing but terrorize the Dodgers. I will be thrilled to get him into the American League. He loved hitting at Dodger Staium. I don't know if it's because he hated the Dodgers so much, or loved Dodger Stadium. He is a great competitor. As you can see, his teams just happen to make the post quite a bit(or sure get close.)
Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I'd give up Sonnestine before Jackson. I think Jackson is still learning to pitch and has more upside. Not so sure I'd give up both. It would be nice to solidify right field. Gabe Gross is not an every day player.
Matt Joyce from the Tigers for Edwin Jackson. Today. The kid's from Tampa, so that pretty - don't know much about him
Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Hialeah Park

More pitching for Yankees
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3765754
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob

this whole salary cap just doesn't apply to the NY Yankees.....i love when this team buy's at an all time high just to watch their assets lose value and get worse year by year by year after joining the club

-bt-
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Del Mar

I cant believe Im actually going to type this but TimmiG made an excellent point in another thread about the dodgers and how the owner would look like donald sterling if he didnt spend money on the team.

It got me thinking...What else are the Yankees supposed to do? Regardless of what they charge for tickets, they are set up to make big money. There simply is no other club that can come close to their revenue streams.

So lets say they rebuild and go with a 150 million dollar payroll. Fans would go berzerk and demand a better product.

This may sound crazy but they are almost in a position where they HAVE to spend money.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
I cant believe Im actually going to type this but TimmiG made an excellent point in another thread about the dodgers and how the owner would look like donald sterling if he didnt spend money on the team.

It got me thinking...What else are the Yankees supposed to do? Regardless of what they charge for tickets, they are set up to make big money. There simply is no other club that can come close to their revenue streams.

So lets say they rebuild and go with a 150 million dollar payroll. Fans would go berzerk and demand a better product.

This may sound crazy but they are almost in a position where they HAVE to spend money.
I dont believe this is true. First of all most of the big money ticket packages are bought by corps and people who are going to buy them regardless of what the teams does. They own their own tv network. fans in NY go bezerk no matter what but as long as the Yankees are making money i dont think they care what the fans think. What they can do is develop a organization that develops players instead of buying guys at who are seemingly at their peak. Buying high rarely works because guys who are at their peak either become 1. happy to be really rich and stop giving a damn, 2. get beat up by the pressure of playing in NY and never get it together or 3. being to decline due to aging, injury or simply because very few guys stay at that consistently high level. The amount of money spent on payroll has far less to do with success than the players who are collecting it. The funny thing about the 2 signing is that neither guy is a sure thing. CC is a good pitcher but is a little overhypd due to his Milwaukee stint which included hitting. He is a fat guy with a lot of innings over the last few years. Not to mention that his post season record stinks which may have to do with the high amount of innings. Burnett has never lived up to his a talent because he has never stayed sound. The Yankee still have a lot of holes in the lineup and a big problem behind the plate. The next few years will be interesting as Jeter start to really show his age. I have wondered if they eventually intend to move him to first given their reluctance to sign a real 1st baseman.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Player only option after three years. His arm falls off tomorrow and you can bet your ass he won't be exercising that option and the Yankees are on the line for all seven years. They added that to ease his concerns about being unhappy in NY.
Actually coming from those meetings. CC wanted the option so that he could still have a chance to play on the West Coast. He waited for the LA team to present an offer. The Yanks weren't going to wait. They were going to pull and both LA teams were waiting for it to happen, so they could offer CC roughly 3-5 years instead for around 20-22 mil.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I dont believe this is true. First of all most of the big money ticket packages are bought by corps and people who are going to buy them regardless of what the teams does. They own their own tv network. fans in NY go bezerk no matter what but as long as the Yankees are making money i dont think they care what the fans think. What they can do is develop a organization that develops players instead of buying guys at who are seemingly at their peak. Buying high rarely works because guys who are at their peak either become 1. happy to be really rich and stop giving a damn, 2. get beat up by the pressure of playing in NY and never get it together or 3. being to decline due to aging, injury or simply because very few guys stay at that consistently high level. The amount of money spent on payroll has far less to do with success than the players who are collecting it. The funny thing about the 2 signing is that neither guy is a sure thing. CC is a good pitcher but is a little overhypd due to his Milwaukee stint which included hitting. He is a fat guy with a lot of innings over the last few years. Not to mention that his post season record stinks which may have to do with the high amount of innings. Burnett has never lived up to his a talent because he has never stayed sound. The Yankee still have a lot of holes in the lineup and a big problem behind the plate. The next few years will be interesting as Jeter start to really show his age. I have wondered if they eventually intend to move him to first given their reluctance to sign a real 1st baseman.
Contract is up after 2010. Tough to imagine him leaving but if they don't offer him anywhere close to the $20 million he's making now I wonder if he'd consider retirement.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Contract is up after 2010. Tough to imagine him leaving but if they don't offer him anywhere close to the $20 million he's making now I wonder if he'd consider retirement.
I doubt it. He is still a good player but his days at SS are numbered and with Arod at third I dont know where else he could play but 1st. His bat in decline would not be a great fit at first but he would still most likely be a pretty good defender if he gets the hang of it. It is just hard to believe that they will give him $20 million a year for a long term if he continues to decline especially in the field but they simply cant get rid of him.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I doubt it. He is still a good player but his days at SS are numbered and with Arod at third I dont know where else he could play but 1st. His bat in decline would not be a great fit at first but he would still most likely be a pretty good defender if he gets the hang of it. It is just hard to believe that they will give him $20 million a year for a long term if he continues to decline especially in the field but they simply cant get rid of him.
Look at the decline the last three years, has dropped considerably in every major hitting category and stolen bases. Say that continues the next two years. He'll be looking at returning in 2011 as a 37 year old .285 hitting 1st baseman. He'll have earned over $200 million in salary and who knows how much in endorsements. You don't think he'd give retirement strong consideration at that point?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Look at the decline the last three years, has dropped considerably in every major hitting category and stolen bases. Say that continues the next two years. He'll be looking at returning in 2011 as a 37 year old .285 hitting 1st baseman. He'll have earned over $200 million in salary and who knows how much in endorsements. You don't think he'd give retirement strong consideration at that point?
Do you think he would coach a la Mattingly? Seems like he loves the game enough.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Do you think he would coach a la Mattingly? Seems like he loves the game enough.
No clue if he'd be interested but most reports are that he's never been a vocal leader in the clubhouse. More a lead by example type. Not sure if that would translate well to coaching.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Havre de Grace

Interesting.....the only reason I've watched the Yanks in the past is Jeter and
Matsui.......gamers all the way!.....and Posada.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
How many guys quit before it is painfully obvious to them they should quit? Lesser players simply wind up unemployed. I dont think Jeter believes he only has 2 years left. Though I have no idea what he is thinking it is a stretch to think he will retire unless he really falls off or gets hurt.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
How many guys quit before it is painfully obvious to them they should quit? Lesser players simply wind up unemployed. I dont think Jeter believes he only has 2 years left. Though I have no idea what he is thinking it is a stretch to think he will retire unless he really falls off or gets hurt.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Flemington

Amazing how Kent and Bonds can't seem to call it quits. I guess they are holding out hope for being a D.H. Kent brought his kids out on the field for his last start at 2nd base. Thought sure he would have just done it already. He n' Bonds are something else.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Randwyck

Bonds could be jail by the time the season starts.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Jerome Park

the world champs signed moyer for 2 years, some asian named Park that probably sucks and Chase hopes to be ready for opening day.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Toronto's pitching staff is a mess. They arent going anywhere. If the Rays got Ankiel for either of those two they would be much better with Price going into the rotation. There are lots of closers available and the last few left are not only better than what they had last year the market will keep the pricesdown.
oops