Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Weanling

Default Investors lose a trillion dollars in one day

Investors lose a trillion dollars in one day
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Investors lost a trillion dollars in the in the stock market Monday as the debt crisis in Europe, lackluster

economic news and a downgrade to the U.S. credit rating spark fears of a double-dip recession.
The Wilshire 5000 Total Market Index, the broadest index of U.S. stocks, lost 891.93 points, or just over 7%, Monday. This represents a

paper loss for the day of approximately $1.0 trillion.
Monday is the largest percentage drop for the Index since December 1, 2008 when it fell over 9%.
Since July 22, when Republicans abandoned debt negotiations with the White House for the third time that month, the index has lost $2.9

trillion in value.
Cynical investors, which could include any of the millions of Americans with pension plans, mutual funds or other retirement accounts,

might be tempted to blame squabbling politicians in Washington for much of their ill fate. But experts say it's more complicated than

that.U.S. Treasuries are still safe! Sorta
"The downgrade has people spooked, but it's not that big of a deal," said Harry Clark, chief executive of Clark Capitol Management.
Clark said the prospect of Italy or Spain defaulting on their debt, scant consumer spending and concern about the overall economy are

causing the sell off in stocks.
"It's just fear, everything together," he said. "It's not just Washington."
Clark believes the market is way oversold.
"I think it's about had it," he said of the decline. "I'm expecting a big rally out of this."
0:00 / 4:17 S&P: Tax rich to stabilize U.S. rating
Stocks did rally after the last big sell off following the financial crisis of 2008. The Wilshire Index remains 84%, or $6.9 trillion

higher than it was in March 2009. But it's still $4 trillion lower than the market's pre-crisis high in 2007.
Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Harris Private Bank, also said it's unfair to blame the current crop of politicians.
"This is the culmination of 60 years of have-it-now policies," he said, referring the deficits Washington has been running for so long.

"[The downgrade] would have happened one way or another."
Ablin wasn't quite as upbeat as Clark in predicting the next rally, noting that his bank moved 10% of its $60 billion in assets under

management into cash last week.
"Values are cheap and expectations are low," he said. "But I don't see a catalyst just yet." To top of page
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
The Curragh

Only those that didn't see this coming from 10 miles away.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Keeneland

Gee - if only our Social Security funds were privatized in the stock market, like the Republicans want.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Gee - if only our Social Security funds were privatized in the stock market, like the Republicans want.
Losing 10-15% would be far better than losing 100% though, no?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Losing 10-15% would be far better than losing 100% though, no?
We haven't lost anything. We've paid 100% of our social security debt on time, always, and always will. Social Security is fully solvent through 2037, and everyone knows it.

Wall Street has always had lobbyists complaining about Social Security, in an attempt to get it out of the governments hands, and into private hands so they can steal what they can from those billions. Screaming that there isn't a pile of actual physical cash sitting there - and that somehow that is wrong?! - is an old, old scam from the Reagan years.

Peoples private retirement funds have been decimated on Wall Street in the past 10 years. Thank god for Social Security as the government fail safe fallback for them. That's exactly what it's there for.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
We haven't lost anything. We've paid 100% of our social security debt on time, always, and always will. Social Security is fully solvent through 2037, and everyone knows it.
That's today. Wait until our creditors do cut us off and then there is no way to pay the "unfunded mandates" (what an oxymoron).

That's apparently what the liberal Democrats want since they won't agree to cut spending - and taxes are already way too high.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

Wall Street has always had lobbyists complaining about Social Security, in an attempt to get it out of the governments hands, and into private hands so they can steal what they can from those billions. Screaming that there isn't a pile of actual physical cash sitting there - and that somehow that is wrong?! - is an old, old scam from the Reagan years.

Peoples private retirement funds have been decimated on Wall Street in the past 10 years. Thank god for Social Security as the government fail safe fallback for them.
I am 36, have paid over 100K in my 20 years of working and paying taxes. Do you think that solvent through 2037 means anything at all to me?
It means I get to continue paying for another 26 years (est 150K) and get nothing for it.
Stop with the 2037 already. Find a new rationale.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I am 36, have paid over 100K in my 20 years of working and paying taxes. Do you think that solvent through 2037 means anything at all to me?
It means I get to continue paying for another 26 years (est 150K) and get nothing for it.
This is what liberals consider to be fairness. You work your ass off, and instead of getting principal plus interest, you get a modest payment per month until you croak, assuming it's solvent. However, the good news is that someone else who didn't work as long, as hard, or earn as much gets supplemented from your funds. In fact, if they're illegal aliens or a lifelong welfare recipient, they get infinite yield since they invested nothing.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
This is what liberals consider to be fairness. You work your ass off, and instead of getting principal plus interest, you get a modest payment per month until you croak, assuming it's solvent. However, the good news is that someone else who didn't work as long, as hard, or earn as much gets supplemented from your funds. In fact, if they're illegal aliens or a lifelong welfare recipient, they get infinite yield since they invested nothing.
Yes, that.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
That's today. Wait until our creditors do cut us off and then there is no way to pay the "unfunded mandates" (what an oxymoron).
Baloney. You are not entitled to make up crap out of thin air. Facts matter.

First: we have no trouble paying our bills, We have no anticipation of trouble paying our bills in the future.

Plenty of countries have a worse debt to GDP ratio than we do (and have retained their AAA rating - oh, and all remaining current AAA rated countries have national health care, btw)

The only reason our creditors would cut us off is if the Tea Party got it's way, and we agreed to not pay our bills by not raising the debt ceiling. That nonsensical temper tantrum by the Tea Party is what caused S & P to downgrade us. It's not the financial facts (S & P was off by $2 trillion on our debt! Treasury correct them and they still downrated us, which is bs) - S & P downrated us because the Republican party is acting like irresponsible idiots.

Quote:
That's apparently what the liberal Democrats want since they won't agree to cut spending - and taxes are already way too high.
More baloney.

Facts: the Democrats cut spending in every single deal on the table during the debt negotiations, it is the GOP Tea Party faction that refused the deals for $4 trillion, making us take the lesser deal for $2 trillion.

And your taxes have literally never been lower, and Obama has helped lower them.

Stop repeating the false right-wing lies. It's beyond absurd.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Facts matter : Social security is solvent at 100% of payouts to 2037, and after that can pay out of 78% of current benefits if we do nothing at all.

If you are worried, then why are you supporting the political party that is tearing Social Security apart? Why don't you support the political party that wants to do the usual tweeks we do every few years to Social Security, to keep it the reliable, 100% successful retirement safety net it has always been? One of the most successful programs in the world.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
exactly, Riot acts like 2037 is the distant future. its right around the freaking corner! it affects basically everyone under the age of 40. to believe its "okay" is one of the most selfish things i've ever heard.

Yeah, lets just throw all the burden on the younger generations. who gives a rats ass about them as long as I get mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
exactly, Riot acts like 2037 is the distant future. its right around the freaking corner! it affects basically everyone under the age of 40. to believe its "okay" is one of the most selfish things i've ever heard.
It's not "selfish", that's just a ridiculous unwarranted personal attack by you against me.

It's just the measurable facts. The financial facts are what they are, and your snark doesn't change them.

You guys are worried about social security, yet you support the party trying to tear it apart and make it go away. It's astounding, to watch you not support your own best interests.

Social Security will be there for you well after 2037. If you want 100% of the benefits given out now, rather than 78%, it just needs a few tweeks. That's what we have done for the past many, many decades. Everyone pays into the system,and it's a safety net for the old. The most successful in the world, with 100% payouts. We've tweeked it many times before, and we will again, as populations change.

The Republicans have been screaming "the sky is falling!" in an attempt to privatize social security since Reagan. That's false.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
It's not "selfish", that's just a ridiculous unwarranted personal attack by you against me.

It's just the measurable facts.

You guys are worried about social security, yet you support the party trying to tear it apart and make it go away. It's astounding.
I do want it to go away. I'd be better off taking that 6-12% of my paycheck and putting the money in a fire proof safe than I do with Social Security.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Baloney. You are not entitled to make up crap out of thin air. Facts matter.

First: we have no trouble paying our bills, We have no anticipation of trouble paying our bills in the future.

Plenty of countries have a worse debt to GDP ratio than we do (and have retained their AAA rating - oh, and all remaining current AAA rated countries have national health care, btw)

The only reason our creditors would cut us off is if the Tea Party got it's way, and we agreed to not pay our bills by not raising the debt ceiling. That nonsensical temper tantrum by the Tea Party is what caused S & P to downgrade us. It's not the financial facts (S & P was off by $2 trillion on our debt! Treasury correct them and they still downrated us, which is bs) - S & P downrated us because the Republican party is acting like irresponsible idiots.

More baloney.

Facts: the Democrats cut spending in every single deal on the table during the debt negotiations, it is the GOP Tea Party faction that refused the deals for $4 trillion, making us take the lesser deal for $2 trillion.

And your taxes have literally never been lower, and Obama has helped lower them.

Stop repeating the false right-wing lies. It's beyond absurd.
Bull Riot. I am not one of the 47% of people in the country who don't pay income taxes. I'm getting creamed.

We can currently pay the interest on the loans. Is that what you mean by "no trouble paying our bills"? When is the principal going to be reduced? It has not been reduced in 51 years! THAT is why the rating went down. And I have news for you - we don't deserve AA+ either.

We have to SPEND LESS THAN WE TAKE IN. Literally, not rhetorically: do the math!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I do want it to go away. I'd be better off taking that 6-12% of my paycheck and putting the money in a fire proof safe than I do with Social Security.
Actually, no. You wouldn't get the same return at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Hell - in this market, just buy gold with it until things (eventually) settle down.

And it's about 16%. 8% from you, 8% "from your employer" (which is still from you).

You know - if you had a $100k job, you'd be left with $92k paid to you less other taxes, but the cost of employing was $108k and without those taxes and SS, you'd have it all - makes no difference to your boss who gets the money.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Actually, no. You wouldn't get the same return at all.
I'd be a hell of a lot better off. especially considering I would only be getting 78% or whatever. Plus 12% is a ton if you work for yourself, which I plan on, in my career.

simple math
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Bull Riot. I am not one of the 47% of people in the country who don't pay income taxes. I'm getting creamed.
What is your tax bracket? The facts are, your taxes have never been lower.

If you want to pay zero, and are angry you think other people are getting something you are not, I suggest you move to another country. This is a society where we all contribute to our common good through income tax.

Alot of that 47% btw, as opposed to the Faux News screaming about welfare queens (left over from the Reagan years) are very, very wealthy people, who pay far less a percentage than you.

Why are you not mad at them? It makes no sense to me.

Quote:
We can currently pay the interest on the loans. Is that what you mean by "no trouble paying our bills"? When is the principal going to be reduced? It has not been reduced in 51 years!
Yes, Joey, we have no trouble paying our bills. Yes, we have to curb spending.

But this has been two months of false, ginned-up Republican electoral rage about nothing. It's pure political theatre, meant to harm Obama.

We should have raised the debt ceiling routinely as we always do - as we have 79 times before - two months ago, then congress could have spent all the time they wanted on cutting things out of future spending. Congress didn't do that. The Republicans chose political theatre over helping this country. They are toast.

Quote:
THAT is why the rating went down. And I have news for you - we don't deserve AA+ either.
Our rating went down because the Republicans spent two months in Kabuki theatre, and that's exactly what S & P said in their press release announcing it.

Quote:
We have to SPEND LESS THAN WE TAKE IN. Literally, not rhetorically: do the math!
Then I suggest we raise our revenues back up to where they were before Bush gave it away. Because that's when we could spend less than what we took in. Bush decimated our income - that's the fact of it, and that alone with his wars s responsible for 1/2 our current debt.

You do the math - we cannot "cut" our way to prosperity. The math doesn't work. It's impossible. We need to have the income we had before Bush gave it away. Only a small portion of that is due to the recession.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
What is your tax bracket? The facts are, your taxes have never been lower.

If you want to pay zero, and are angry you think other people are getting something you are not, I suggest you move to another country. This is a society where we all contribute to our common good through income tax.

Alot of that 47% btw, as opposed to the Faux News screaming about welfare queens (left over from the Reagan years) are very, very wealthy people, who pay far less a percentage than you.

Why are you not mad at them? It makes no sense to me.

Yes, Joey, we have no trouble paying our bills. Yes, we have to curb spending.

But this has been two months of false, ginned-up Republican electoral rage about nothing. It's pure political theatre, meant to harm Obama.

We should have raised the debt ceiling routinely as we always do - as we have 79 times before - two months ago, then congress could have spent all the time they wanted on cutting things out of future spending. Congress didn't do that. The Republicans chose political theatre over helping this country. They are toast.

Our rating went down because the Republicans spent two months in Kabuki theatre, and that's exactly what S & P said in their press release announcing it.

Then I suggest we raise our revenues back up to where they were before Bush gave it away. Because that's when we could spend less than what we took in. Bush decimated our income - that's the fact of it, and that alone with his wars s responsible for 1/2 our current debt.

You do the math - we cannot "cut" our way to prosperity. The math doesn't work. It's impossible. We need to have the income we had before Bush gave it away. Only a small portion of that is due to the recession.
No that's the point - we don't ALL contribute. Half do nothing. The other half pays twice as much as it should. That's absurd - and it wasn't the conservatives that brought that situation into existence.

So you admit that "no trouble paying our bills" amounts to interest-only payments on a $14.5T debt. And those interest payments have and will continue to increase as a proportion of GDP. That is the mechanism for real default, real bankruptcy and ruin. Case closed.

Again with the talking points. Why can't you just say "taxes" instead of "revenues" and cease referring to the tax cuts as "giving away revenue"? It's as if you think the government has the right to all of everyone's money, and whatever pittance we're left with is due to their good graces. Your selection of words, how you use revenue, income, and give aways indicates that you are for government first and citizens a distant second.