Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Dee Tee Stables

the number one thing that would help this big event is tv. get better ratings, you get better ad dollars. so, they need to make themselves more appealing. number one, that means shorten the telecast. number two, get rid of two days, which makes no sense viewer-wise. the super bowl runs about 3.5 hours over one day. the races need to be closer together, to get rid of all the dead time, and to have the exciting moments much, much closer together. bettors will bet regardless. you have to get the t.v. viewership first and foremost. tracks aren't going to turn down having some of the races, since they'll share in the revenue and boost attendance and revenue. the bc needs to take more of the ad money, and less of the handle-leaving the tracks more inclined to partake. have the bc at the tracks that produce the most handle-churchill automatically becomes #1.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
The only way a track operator would want to be the perm host is if they own a piece of the action, at least the way the system is currently set up. Perhaps the BC is looking for a big cash infusion from the exclusive operator in exchange for a piece of the pie. That would be extremely dangerous and short sighted on their part. 5 years ago they would have partnered with Magna in a heartbeat and last year a slew of people would have loved to sign on with Halsey Minor. Both would have been huge errors according to the current situation. One of the things that made the BC unique was the different venues.
BC is a bad idea already but it is here too stay. I like BC day, but I like Tuesdays in Feb at Aqueduct. The point of having it at CD every year is to build the day, make it a destination event. With it all over the place it is harder to market. Plus the configurations of different track make things even more dodgy. CD does a great job with the Derby and the weather in KY can be suitable. I really dont care if it is a rotation or at CD, or even dropped for that matter, but it would be a lot easier to market if it was in one place.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
BC is a bad idea already but it is here too stay. I like BC day, but I like Tuesdays in Feb at Aqueduct. The point of having it at CD every year is to build the day, make it a destination event. With it all over the place it is harder to market. Plus the configurations of different track make things even more dodgy. CD does a great job with the Derby and the weather in KY can be suitable. I really dont care if it is a rotation or at CD, or even dropped for that matter, but it would be a lot easier to market if it was in one place.
i like your DROPPED idea the best at this point.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
If its going to be put at a permanent spot.. it wont be at CD, it will be at SA.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Oaklawn

The Breeders' Cup has made a lot of good moves... yeah, the two day event wasn't completely won over at first, and it still has kinks, but its young. Ultimately, the amount of money wagered on those two days is a significant number to plop into the BC.XLS spreadsheet.

That said, I think where the BC is pinched right now are the fields.... some of the races this year were rather "lame" races to bet. Yeah, lots of quality, but I never was excited to bet the F&M Turf for example. With the BC I want 14 horse fields, some craziness and good times.

I think one of their initiatives should be growing the event state-side in addition to worldwide. 7 versus 14 horses is a massive handle difference that equates to millions in revenue.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
If its going to be put at a permanent spot.. it wont be at CD, it will be at SA.
i sure hope not.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Flemington

Quote:
That is what I heard too...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Assuming a traditional dirt surface is brought back to SA, how will making SA the permanent site sit with the Euros. I thought they preferred the East Coast or Midwest venues because of the cooler weather and greater chance of getting soft turf in late fall.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
Assuming a traditional dirt surface is brought back to SA, how will making SA the permanent site sit with the Euros. I thought they preferred the East Coast or Midwest venues because of the cooler weather and greater chance of getting soft turf in late fall.
Not to mention they like the synth too.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth

The Euro's have been doing pretty well on SA turf!

If they make SA dirt I think I'd be okay with that. The BC has fallen so far down my list of exciting racing events anyway.

I enjoy the TC races, TC preps, all 36 Saratoga days, JCGC and many other events much more than the BC lately! Who knows though if it goes back to dirt I might get interested again.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Paul Moran seems to think if this happens NY will counter.

The Breeders' Cup only works if it maintains a monopoly and should someone in authority at NYRA decide to add some cash to the pot and do a bit of autumn rescheduling, it is not far-fetched that the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational, Beldame, Flower Bowl Invitational, Vosburgh, Kelso Handicap, Champagne and Frizette could be run on the same day at Belmont Park, effectively mirroring the entire Breeders' Cup spectrum with the exception of the Dirt Mile. All but the Grade 2 Kelso enjoy longstanding Grade 1 status. No one in this industry owes allegiance to the Breeders' Cup, which would most certainly render itself vulnerable to competition were it to station itself permanently on a synthetic surface. The schism would be irreparable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...aul&id=4742192
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311

The Breeders' Cup only works if it maintains a monopoly and should someone in authority at NYRA decide to add some cash to the pot and do a bit of autumn rescheduling, it is not far-fetched that the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational, Beldame, Flower Bowl Invitational, Vosburgh, Kelso Handicap, Champagne and Frizette could be run on the same day at Belmont Park, effectively mirroring the entire Breeders' Cup spectrum with the exception of the Dirt Mile. All but the Grade 2 Kelso enjoy longstanding Grade 1 status. No one in this industry owes allegiance to the Breeders' Cup, which would most certainly render itself vulnerable to competition were it to station itself permanently on a synthetic surface. The schism would be irreparable.

another facet to the issue. having rotations keeps other tracks involved, albeit not every year. remove that carrot of being a future host, the track won't have a reason to avoid competing with the card. and as was mentioned above, not everyone likes cali tracks, or cali weather. several horses don't come from overseas each year due to the warmth in southern cal, as well as the firmer turf surface.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311

There are an awful lot of people who run in the BC because it's the BC - I don't think that tactic would work. There were only about 4 horses that were witheld from running in the BC.

There are not enough top horses in training to support this proposed card and the BC card so what they would get is a bunch of allowance type horses running for a lot of money in NY. Unless Jess Jackson gets a stable full of Champions of course.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
should someone in authority at NYRA decide to add some cash to the pot and do a bit of autumn rescheduling, it is not far-fetched that the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational, Beldame, Flower Bowl Invitational, Vosburgh, Kelso Handicap, Champagne and Frizette could be run on the same day at Belmont Park, effectively mirroring the entire Breeders' Cup spectrum with the exception of the Dirt Mile. All but the Grade 2 Kelso enjoy longstanding Grade 1 status.
This would be awesome.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey
This would be awesome.
Yes...But I don't think they would do it.
Besides, isn't the perm site supposed to be CD?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Idlewild Airport

I love it. Fight back NYRA.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I love it. Fight back NYRA.
While I would love this to happen NYRA is a broke..Love what NYRA has done of late, and hope they contine to succeed in their efforts to make racing better. They are hardly in a position to spend tens of millions on staging a war. Maybe after the slots come? If they come?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
While I would love this to happen NYRA is a broke..Love what NYRA has done of late, and hope they contine to succeed in their efforts to make racing better. They are hardly in a position to spend tens of millions on staging a war. Maybe after the slots come? If they come?
They really wouldn't need to spend that much. As it grew established the BC would continue to lose revenue as breeders stopped paying the nomination fees. BC purses would plummet over time. They are already having the races, why not just market them as a championship day and maybe boost the purses a little at first and then more each year if the day continues to generate additional handle.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
They really wouldn't need to spend that much. As it grew established the BC would continue to lose revenue as breeders stopped paying the nomination fees. BC purses would plummet over time. They are already having the races, why not just market them as a championship day and maybe boost the purses a little at first and then more each year if the day continues to generate additional handle.
It's a war period..Owners, Breeders, horseman, would all have to choose sides..Racing doesn't need a continental divide, unity would server all better. Revolution works it just kills millions in the process. Too me it makes more sense to work together.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey
This would be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
Yes...But I don't think they would do it.
A girl can dream, can't she?

Bring back a true Fall Championship meet at Belmont!