Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Oriental Park

and again i'll point out Florida lost at Home , not on the road
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
They had a chance and blew it in Corvallis.

what about losing to an unranked team in the swamp ??

Miss wasn't even playing good ball in Sept , go and look at their schedule
they were average at best
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
Missippi was 8-4

Vanderbilt and USC beat them - 2 very medicore teams ,

Ole Miss is playing well now no question , but they were a middle of the road SEC team in the early part of the season

Ole miss is playing good ball now , i'll give you that , but again UF lost a home game in confernce and USC lost on the road in confernce big big difference - and USC wasn't blown out they lost a close game just like UF it

There is a west coast bias , no question about it - it's unfair to these kids to not get a chance
That is hilarious, a bias against USC? The only truly unbiased part of the BCS equation is the computers. And the computers had USC #7 in the country! The fact that they finished 5th in the BCS despite being 7th in the computers shows how biased the polls are in favor of USC.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Oriental Park

computers rankings spit out numbers based on human inputs

is there anyone who is willing to say now after all the pac 10 bowls have been played that the confernce isn't better than what the computers say they are

i watched Oregon roll thru Ok St in the holiday bowl

Does anyone not think that USC couldn't roll thru any of these big 12 teams

Does anyone think John Parker Wilson could beat the USC defense ???

I ain't saying USC would beat Florida , but they s/b given the chance
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

is there anyone who is willing to say now after all the pac 10 bowls have been played that the confernce isn't better than what the computers say they are

i watched Oregon roll thru Ok St in the holiday bowl

I'm not saying they wouldn't beat Florida but they didn't earn a chance anymore than Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, or Alabama did. Alabama and Texas lost to the best teams of any of them. Florida and Oklahoma beat the best teams of any of them. USC lost to a worse team than any and didn't beat a better team than any.

The problem is the system is flawed and it is why the sport needs a playoff system so badly. I mean, what happens if Utah pulls off the unexpected tonight and beat the Tide? How would they not have the best argument to be national champions at that point? Yet the pollsters wouldn't even have the option to put them #1 if they wanted to.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Gulfstream Park

Trojan D would stuff the Gators.

UF a 4 to 5-pt dog vs SC...
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:

1.The Pac 10 teams have played mediocre teams in all their bowl games minus USC. The Pitt-OrgSt game was a joy to watch.

2. The Big 12 is greatly overrated by ESPN personalities and writers. They don't play any defense.

3. JPW would be ok vs USC defense. What about Sanchez vs Bama's D?

4. In your first post you say USC would beat FL, now you back off the statement and say they deserve to play them.

-Are you Brent Musberger?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'm not saying they wouldn't beat Florida but they didn't earn a chance anymore than Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, or Alabama did. Alabama and Texas lost to the best teams of any of them. Florida and Oklahoma beat the best teams of any of them. USC lost to a worse team than any and didn't beat a better team than any.

The problem is the system is flawed and it is why the sport needs a playoff system so badly. I mean, what happens if Utah pulls off the unexpected tonight and beat the Tide? How would they not have the best argument to be national champions at that point? Yet the pollsters wouldn't even have the option to put them #1 if they wanted to.
how can you say that losing to an unranked team at home in the swamp when you have 100k plus cheering for you is a better loss than , losing on the road to a team that had basically the same record

explain to me how old miss is a better team the osu

what will you say if Utah playes 'bama down to the wire tonight???

After the USC game they lost at Utah and got beat by OU without their best player
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Fairgrounds

the problem with USC is that as soon as they get out of SoCal, they fall apart. If they had to play a bowl game on a neutral field (or a road game), they'd look a whole lot worse.

The game I'd have wanted to see would have been USC-Tex, not Ok-Fl.... as Ok doesn't deserve it since Texas beat them.

Perfect reason for having a playoff, but there's so much $$ in the bowl system that none of the college presidents want to alter it.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
1.The Pac 10 teams have played mediocre teams in all their bowl games minus USC. The Pitt-OrgSt game was a joy to watch.

2. The Big 12 is greatly overrated by ESPN personalities and writers. They don't play any defense.

4. In your first post you say USC would beat FL, now you back off the statement and say they deserve to play them.

since when do "could' and "would" have te same meaning???
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska
the problem with USC is that as soon as they get out of SoCal, they fall apart. If they had to play a bowl game on a neutral field (or a road game), they'd look a whole lot worse.

The game I'd have wanted to see would have been USC-Tex, not Ok-Fl.... as Ok doesn't deserve it since Texas beat them.

Perfect reason for having a playoff, but there's so much $$ in the bowl system that none of the college presidents want to alter it.

they really fell apart 4 years ago when the stuck 50+ on OU in the orange bowl on the east coast
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
how can you say that losing to an unranked team at home in the swamp when you have 100k plus cheering for you is a better loss than , losing on the road to a team that had basically the same record

explain to me how old miss is a better team the osu

what will you say if Utah playes 'bama down to the wire tonight???

After the USC game they lost at Utah and got beat by OU without their best player
Losing at home against Miss and losing at Oregon St are both bad losses, you really can't say one is better than the other. It isn't the quality of their loss that got Florida in, it is the quality of their best win. I don't think anyone can argue that beating Alabama on a neutral field isn't a superior win to beating Ohio St at home.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
they really fell apart 4 years ago when the stuck 50+ on OU in the orange bowl on the east coast
1 game in 1 year is not consistancy. They were the best team that year and OU shouldn't have even played in that game.... if I remember right, they didn't even play in their conference champ game, but got in the nat champ game, which should NEVER happen.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Oriental Park

in CFB there is a huge differnce between losing at home vs on the road
is there not?

so what who did 'bama beat this year - the sec was down , they caught UGA in a letdown game coming back from the west coast and jumped on them in the 1st half and had to hold on for dear life in the 2nd half

let's see how utah does tonight - if they give 'bama all they can handle then your case gets a lot weaker
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
funny, you mention supposed mediocre teams..osu is right in that category! fla's one loss was to a better team than usc's one loss. then there's strength of schedule-and of course style points. fla smoked some good teams, made them look like division 2 opponents-and them beating the #1 team in the sec championship sure didn't hurt them.
i can see arguing for texas to be in the title game, but not usc.
It looks worse for USC to lose to OSC than for UF to lose to Ol Miss.

But how can anyone say Ol Miss is better than Oregon State? Oregon State has already won its bowl game (granted maybe the most boring bowl game ever played) and OSU had a terrific season, just as good as Ol Miss.

I dont think anyone can say Ol' Miss is better than OSU.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska

don't foreget LSU won 2 nat's titles in their home away from home - the sugar bowl - it ain't exactly like they went out west to the fiesta bowl or rose bowl to win -
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
exactly. you want it, win. or at least, lose to a decent team!
You didnt watch OSU this year did you?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Del Mar

My two cents:

The Pac Ten has clearly shown that they are better than they are given credit for being. I think the Big 12 has done nothing so far but prove Morty right. They play no defense.

I dont buy that USC can't win on the road. I think one would have a difficult time backing up that statement. They have lost 16 games in the Pete Carroll era. 16 games and they only lost by double figures 1 time. They beat hammered a good arkansas team a few years back at Arkansas if I remember. They consistently dominate their own conference and half their games are on the road. I just dont see it.

USC can play with any team in the country. Period. If USC were to play either one of those teams in the National championship, what do you think the spread would be?

Having said all that, Florida and Oklahoma are in fair and square by the rules that are in place. Are the rules without flaw? No, this system is messed up. But it is what it is and based on that the two correct teams are there.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
My two cents:

The Pac Ten has clearly shown that they are better than they are given credit for being. I think the Big 12 has done nothing so far but prove Morty right. They play no defense.

I dont buy that USC can't win on the road. I think one would have a difficult time backing up that statement. They have lost 16 games in the Pete Carroll era. 16 games and they only lost by double figures 1 time. They beat hammered a good arkansas team a few years back at Arkansas if I remember. They consistently dominate their own conference and half their games are on the road. I just dont see it.

USC can play with any team in the country. Period. If USC were to play either one of those teams in the National championship, what do you think the spread would be?

Having said all that, Florida and Oklahoma are in fair and square by the rules that are in place. Are the rules without flaw? No, this system is messed up. But it is what it is and based on that the two correct teams are there.
they showed it in vegas

USC would be favored over any team in the country
including Florida and OU (not that it matters)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash

BYU was highly thought of all season long and ranked 16th in the country. University of Arizona stomped them!

Oklahoma State was a very good team this year, as was Pitt & Penn State.

I very much disagree with your first point.

I very much AGREE with your second point... I think the Big 12 and there defenseless teams are overrated.