Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Hialeah Park

There is a lot of irony in a thread that combines people complaining about small fields on Saturday at Belmont while at the same time, others ( myself included) are complaining about why a horse like Interpertation is running SAturday in a GR1 at Belmont.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
There is a lot of irony in a thread that combines people complaining about small fields on Saturday at Belmont while at the same time, others ( myself included) are complaining about why a horse like Interpertation is running SAturday in a GR1 at Belmont.
Don't get me wrong Bob...not complaining. Hell, I think it's great, because as you and I both know, there will be idiots that bet money on him. The more dumb money in the pools, the better

I just think it's sad that the owners ego gets on the way of the horse being a legitimate overnight stakes or maybe GIII horse.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Saratoga

Maybe the phrase Instead of the blind and idol claim rubbed me the wrong way. Tommorows graded stakes entries by betting interests. I rest my case that NYRA is simply not getting it done.
5:00 TDN(8) Ohio Derby (13)
5:15 HOO(11) Indiana Derby (12)
5:14 HAW(7) Hawthorne Gold Cup (11)
6:12 HAW(9) Robert F. Carey (9)
5:09 BEL(9) Joe Hirsch (7)
5:43 BEL(10) Jockey Cup Gold (7)
4:16 PHA(10) Fitz Dixion (6)
4:35 BEL(8) Flower Bowl (6)
3:59 BEL(7) Vosburgh (5)
3:23 BEL(6) Beldame (4)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62
Steve I can only comment on the result and not the attempt. And the result of 4 and 5 horse grade 1 fields is on a regular basis is truly pathetic.
Surely you speak not of NYRA where the average betting interests in Grade I races going back to July 4 is 7.8 with only two five-horse fields in the interim (Ballerina, Ruffian).

The turf average is 9.25 but that's a tad unfair given that there's only been 4 Grade I turf races since 7/4.

NT
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
5:00 TDN(8) Ohio Derby (13)
5:15 HOO(11) Indiana Derby (12)
These two do share 6 cross-entrants.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
These two do share 6 cross-entrants.
Not to mention that comparing restricted races to open is foolish. It also is worth mentioning that the only races that contain any good horses are at the bottom of the list.

It's a lot easier to go to Indiana and run against a couple of good horses and 9 tomato cans then to run in the JCGC and be a candidate for 4th.

NT
Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Not to mention that comparing restricted races to open is foolish. It also is worth mentioning that the only races that contain any good horses are at the bottom of the list.

It's a lot easier to go to Indiana and run against a couple of good horses and 9 tomato cans then to run in the JCGC and be a candidate for 4th.

NT
And your association with NYRA is ? Give me those averages but exclude Saratoga.
BY Dirt / Turf (Exclude MTO's)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:

NT
Yeah... I was starting to write a much fuller response but I'm not going to. The only race that fits the discussion is the Cotillion which could have contributed meaningfully to the Beldame. But scheduling issues are a topic for the Graded Stake Committee and Racing Secretaries Meetings to hash out. Again... everyone should read Crist's piece on this subject.

The collection of nice horses at HAW tomorrow are meaningless to Grade 1 field conversation. The Carey runners are horses that can't go in the Gr. I Shadwell Mile at KEE, and the HAW Gold Cup horses aren't good enough for the JCGC.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Yeah... I was starting to write a much fuller response but I'm not going to. The only race that fits the discussion is the Cotillion which could have contributed meaningfully to the Beldame. But scheduling issues are a topic for the Graded Stake Committee and Racing Secretaries Meetings to hash out. Again... everyone should read Crist's piece on this subject.

The collection of nice horses at HAW tomorrow are meaningless to Grade 1 field conversation. The Carey runners are horses that can't go in the Gr. I Shadwell Mile at KEE, and the HAW Gold Cup horses aren't good enough for the JCGC.
Crist's thoughts, among others, are further outlined in the Prescription For Racing that was released by TDN. Worth a read.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
And your association with NYRA is ? Give me those averages but exclude Saratoga.
BY Dirt / Turf (Exclude MTO's)
Why do I have to be associated with NYRA to think you're a chronic over-reactor whose opinion in this case is not substantiated on fact?

I am more than anything, like just about everyone here, a fan and tomorrow I'm going to watch some of the best horses in training participate. I'll take a day full of horses like Fabulous Strike, Munnings, Music Note, Gio Ponti, Grand Couturier, Macho Again, Summer Bird, and Quality Road over what is due to be a stirring stretch battle between Sumo and Misremembered or Jonesboro and Stonehouse.

NT
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

Philly is going to make a change to their schedule next year which is going to further crowd the early fall races. The early discussion is for the Pa. Derby to be moved back to something like six weeks out of the BC and the Cotillion to be one week later.

Of course, Philly could do whatever they want when the fact of the matter is that their best day handles about 40% of what Belmont does on a Thursday.

NT
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Coach Pants

Well the consensus is 5 horse fields are ok as long as good horses are in said fields.

At least there are competitive football games on Saturday. And I'm thankful for that because I have a choice to dvr the sport of chickens for later.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

NT
You have to admit there are two different camps here..If you want to see better horses run, then the Belmont races are where you should be, but if you want the best wagering opportunities, I'll take the tomato cans.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Well the consensus is 5 horse fields are ok as long as good horses are in said fields.

At least there are competitive football games on Saturday. And I'm thankful for that because I have a choice to dvr the sport of chickens for later.
And those of us that think otherwise are just ****ing idiots.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
And those of us that think otherwise are just ****ing idiots.
No we just lack estrogen. I mean you have to be loaded with it to enjoy a 5 horse race with 4 betting interests.

Ohh Music Note. Excuse me while I not give a ****.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Why do I have to be associated with NYRA to think you're a chronic over-reactor whose opinion in this case is not substantiated on fact?

I am more than anything, like just about everyone here, a fan and tomorrow I'm going to watch some of the best horses in training participate. I'll take a day full of horses like Fabulous Strike, Munnings, Music Note, Gio Ponti, Grand Couturier, Macho Again, Summer Bird, and Quality Road over what is due to be a stirring stretch battle between Sumo and Misremembered or Jonesboro and Stonehouse.

NT

Have fun! Bet Macho Again Tomorrow I'm going to a wedding on the beach and will probably forget that horses are even racing! LOL
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Del Mar

Quote:

NT
I'm with you on this. Tomorrow, I'll be more a fan...drink more beer, and do less gambling. I think the Vosburgh is an outstanding betting race even with just 5 going. Theres not one in there you cant make an excellent case to win.

We have all winter to bet big, non-compelling fields loaded with big pools at Gulfstream and Aqueduct.

If you dont like it, theres plenty of college football on.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
yes, there is. it just proves the adage that you can't please everyone.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Gulfstream Park

Actually very excited to see the races tomorrow, regardless of the 'betting' opportunities. There are some excellent match-ups. Things seen tomorrow may help in the future regarding the Breeders Cup races. I can search for betting opportunities in plenty of other places. I'm going to appreciate the races for the competition and hopefully see a few nuggets which may be helpful come Nov 6-7.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Dancer
Actually very excited to see the races tomorrow, regardless of the 'betting' opportunities. There are some excellent match-ups. Things seen tomorrow may help in the future regarding the Breeders Cup races. I can search for betting opportunities in plenty of other places. I'm going to appreciate the races for the competition and hopefully see a few nuggets which may be helpful come Nov 6-7.
You don't have to watch the races to get a few nuggets, simply draw a line through all tommorows DIRT starters that you see on Breeders Cup Day.