Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
I didn't say it was spoelstra's fault although I did say he got outcoached. Carlisle made some great adjustments and ultimately that was the difference. Going zone was huge on the defensive end and going to the high pick and roll was the difference on the other end.
I agree. Carlisle was a mad genius. Barea started more games in the finals series than he had the entire season. When things were not going well, Carlisle completely changed his entire rotation. He put Cardinal in the rotation and got big minutes from him, Peja was completely nailed to the bench. It all worked like a charm for him. Stevenson played much better coming off the bench and had a great shooting series...over 50 pct from 3. It was a great series to watch and an even greater result. The Mavs played with zero fear.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
You said it was 'the big difference', which is insanity. Carlisle's a great coach, but Spoelstra did nothing wrong in this series.
Nothing wrong? He put Eddie house on Jason Terry. Miami went key stretches without any semblance of an offensive game plan. Those things aside, I am not pinning the series loss on spoelstra. I am merely crediting Carlisle with an outstanding job. Is it not possible that spoelstra could do a decent job but yet still get completely outcoached?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Nothing wrong? He put Eddie house on Jason Terry. Miami went key stretches without any semblance of an offensive game plan. Those things aside, I am not pinning the series loss on spoelstra. I am merely crediting Carlisle with an outstanding job. Is it not possible that spoelstra could do a decent job but yet still get completely outcoached?
Big deal. He traded defense for offense, coaches often do that when their team is in a hole. Carlisle played Stojakovic and Cardinal over Corey Brewer this series and neither of those two could guard a folding chair. And Miami's offense is a mess at times mainly because neither LeBron nor Wade know how to play without the ball.

It sounds like you're pinning the loss on him if you say coaching was 'the big difference' in the series. The big difference was that Dallas had a closer and Miami didn't.

No disagreement that Carlisle coached a great series.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Idlewild Airport

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ga...ack_pages.html
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Coach Pants

I saw LeBron just recently and i asked him if he had change for a dollar.
He gave me 75 cents
I asked him "That's it???"
LeBron replied " Sorry i don't have a 4th Quarter."
Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I saw LeBron just recently and i asked him if he had change for a dollar.
He gave me 75 cents
I asked him "That's it???"
LeBron replied " Sorry i don't have a 4th Quarter."
Oh no he didnnt
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Big deal. He traded defense for offense, coaches often do that when their team is in a hole. Carlisle played Stojakovic and Cardinal over Corey Brewer this series and neither of those two could guard a folding chair. And Miami's offense is a mess at times mainly because neither LeBron nor Wade know how to play without the ball.

It sounds like you're pinning the loss on him if you say coaching was 'the big difference' in the series. The big difference was that Dallas had a closer and Miami didn't.

No disagreement that Carlisle coached a great series.
Wade isn't a "closer"? That is news. From what I had heard, he was one of the best "closers" in the game...whatever that means.

Putting Eddie House on Jason Terry wasn't merely trading defense for offense. It was putting your worst perimeter defender against the other team's best offensive player (terry was their best offensive player last night and for other parts of the series). Why wasn't he matched up against Kidd as Van Gundy astutely pointed out or anyone else for that matter. That's coaching and at the times he was on Terry, they weren't in much of a hole although they were after a few minutes of that matchup.

If I say that Dirk Nowitzki outplayed Udonis Haslem and was "the big difference", does that mean that I am pinning the loss on Haslem? Of course not. I am merely stating the obvious. The same goes for the coach. Like Haslem, Spoelstra did a credible job during the series. He simply didn't have anywhere near the effect that Carlisle did for his respective team. He didn't have "skins on the wall" to garner the type of respect necessary from players like Lebron and Wade. Riley does. It will be a big difference next year if Riley is there.

You can't sum up what happened in this series to a few minutes down the stretch in every game. Do you play chess? The end game is merely a result of the opening and the middle. The Heat had two queens but the mavs had but one queen and a full compliment of pawns. Carlisle used his advantage of material to wear down the Heat's advantage in firepower.

The Heat had to work much harder on defense and by the late stages they were worn down especially in the last couple of games. It is undeniable that much of that had to do with the adjustments that Dallas made on the offensive end.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Keeneland

Lebron apologists awful quiet this morning. Let's leave it to Lebron to put things into perspective, he always has a way with words.

Via Twitter:
The Greater Man upstairs know when it's my time. Right now isn't the time.

Well said, Lebron, well said.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Idlewild Airport

Much Greater, much
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Lebron apologists awful quiet this morning. Let's leave it to Lebron to put things into perspective, he always has a way with words.

Via Twitter:
The Greater Man upstairs know when it's my time. Right now isn't the time.

Well said, Lebron, well said.
I enjoyed the life lessons he was giving in the press conference to all of his haters.

The guy is a complete idiot. Let me give him a life lesson. "You would be a convicted felon if it wasn't for basketball, you mental midget. And take that f.ucking headband off. We all know you're balding, you self-conscious woman. You're a lamb, not a lion. Stop talking s.hit."
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quite a fall from grace for Lebron this passed year. Ugly
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I enjoyed the life lessons he was giving in the press conference to all of his haters.
Yeah, that was really something.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Flemington

I can't wait for the Decision Part 2 when he opts out from Miami in 2014 with no rings.

Maybe Lifetime will pick up the coverage this time around.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Very disappointing series from James. I still have no doubt in my mind that he's the most skilled player and overall best player in the game but mentally, he lacking a lot. That was not the way a champion or want to be champion goes down. It's one thing to lose but to do so without putting up your best fight is very disappointing to see. If I'm starting a team, I'd still chose him #1 overall because he is going to do the most of any player to put you in position to win but at this point, he just doesn't have what it takes to finish the job when the pressure is at its highest. That could change and all will be forgotten if Miami goes on to win three or four titles while he's there but his reputation took a huge hit with this loss and it has a long way to go to recover.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Jerome Park

Well, Lebron played pretty small... too many times last night he's just standing around and not hustling or creating anything (offensively and defensively... the only rebounds I saw him grab were ones that just fell into his hands). he certainly doesnt have the hustle of Wade, Chalmers (who forced way too many bad shots) and the majority of the Mavs team. It was like Lebron was scared to win.

Congrats to the Mavs and Dirk/Kidd/Terry. They were the better team plain and simple.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I was wrong again.
FTFY

Last edited by Coach Pants : 06-13-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM

I can't take credit for this one, but was just told today is LeBron James day so we all get to leave work 12 minutes early. Zing!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
I can't take credit for this one, but was just told today is LeBron James day so we all get to leave work 12 minutes early. Zing!
If that was really the case, we should all be off today.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Congrats to the Mavs, they clearly were the better team...Dirk, Kidd, Terry are class acts and great players and I'm glad to see them get their championship. James has dug himself a hole, we'll see if he can climb out...I agree that he was worthless in the 4th quarter all series and it reminds one of the Cleveland owner who said he quit in the playoffs in Cleveland...at the time it seemed like sour grapes, not so much now.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm a racist, arrogant loser.

There's you new signature Coach Pants. No charge.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine