Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Fair question. Some of the spending he really has no choice on and neither did Bush in the latter stages. I never criticized Bush for his spending in the latter months...only the stuff for the first seven years while he sat on his hands and let the credit crunch ferment. Obama has to attack our economic issues and the great depression showed that hoarding money and balancing the budget is NOT the thing to do during a deep recession. Credit freezes require liquidity and the govenment needs to provide said liquidity when the market can't unlock on its own. All of these wanna be "true capitalists" were crying to mama fed not too long ago. True capitalism relies on markets to "take care of themselves" and this last crisis proved once again that that cant happen. I am a capitalist to the core but I do appreciate the need for regulation and at times assistance from the federal government.

Now is tackling health care the best idea for the times? I think that he is biting off more than he can chew right now and i think regardless of the future impact of rising health care costs (i agree it is a serious concern) now is not the time. Our sole focus should be on stablizing the economy and defending the country and i dont think debt should be a concern in dealing with either right now.

thanks for the honest answer. I think health care needs to be reformed. I dont think a public option plan is the best way, but hey, the costs are absolutely ridiculous and insurance companies are the bad guys along with the malpractice lawyers IMO. What really really really bothers me is Obama's deadlines on this. Time and time again he talks about this august deadline and how people who dont agree with this are only doing it for political reasons. If our dumbass congress is going to reform our entire health care system... it should be debated on and talked about for as long as they need... not forced into action before its ready. And its really a shame that we have to count on people (congress) who time and time again prove themselves to be useless and wrong and motivated by the wrong reasons.

I think Obama needs to sit on his hands for a minute and slow down the pace he's going at. Trying to do so much at once is a sure recipe for failure.

Also, the debt that he was going to cut in half.. may not be what you're concerned about now, but it may be the thing that haunts this country the most in the future.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
From Obama's speech on June 29th

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_...ent-on-Energy/

In the late 1970s, the state of California enacted tougher energy-efficiency policies. Over the next three decades, those policies helped create almost 1.5 million jobs. And today, Californians consume 40 percent less energy per person than the national average -- which, over time, has prevented the need to build at least 24 new power plants. Think about that. California -- producing jobs, their economy keeping pace with the rest of the country, and yet they have been able to maintain their energy usage at a much lower level than the rest of the country.

The same CA with the rolling blackouts. The same CA in a 40 billion dollar hole and facing 11.65% unemployment. And Bush was a dummy?

he just says what people want to hear. doesnt matter to him, or the majority of the american public apparanty, if what he says is actually correct.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/var/...ly_22_2009.jpg
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
People were pretty mean to Bush. It got to the point where I felt kind of sorry for the guy.
Me, too, at the end. But I didn't see major "news" stations joining in the fray, and giving daily voice to the left-wing extremist whackos.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Me, too, at the end. But I didn't see major "news" stations joining in the fray, and giving daily voice to the left-wing extremist whackos.
Name another "news" station outside of the obvious one. If not, edit your post and cut back on the dramatics. This place may seem like an off-Broadway production at times but it clearly isn't.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Keeneland

I wish William F. Buckley was still alive.

Looks like I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

" It’s a sign that Republican centrists are operating at a disadvantage against the party’s wingnut fringe. There is a reluctance to take on the extreme in a full-fledged confrontation, a fight for the future direction of the Republican Party, for fear of provoking grassroots retaliation in a GOP primary. And in this there a tacit admission that the fringe is starting to overlap with the party’s base, pumped up by talk radio and the Internet, bleeding over into cable news and now town halls."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...d=bs:featured4
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Hialeah Park

It would appear to me that there are just as many " XXXXX-wing extremist whackos" in both parties.

The only difference is that if you are a DEM

he is at the top

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Amazing. You supposedly are making these huge sums of money in the market yet you want to lash out at those who you claim made it possible? Orangejump suits were made for former USC football players.
You're confused, Cannon.

My stock portfolio tanked like pretty much everyone else's during the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

In fact, this is where much of my anger with the incompetent Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson stems from.

What I've been bragging about, though, are all the shares of the Vangaurd S&P 500 index fund that I was able to purchase at a fire sale price back in early March when people like High-pitch Hannity were squealing like little girls and bailing on the market ... thus foolishly locking in their losses from the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

These shares have done pretty well so far this year ... and I believe the market will yield above average returns over (at least) the next 5-6 years.

Like I said before, this fire sale of stock in the first quarter this year may've been the only good thing to come out of the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

Now let me run this by ya ... since it's a stone-cold mortal lock that the Trojans will run the table this season ... and given the fact that the national championship game will be contested in Pasadena ... I'm thinking about calling the NCAA and asking them to cancel the entire college football season and just give that championship trophy to Pete.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator
You're confused, Cannon.

My stock portfolio tanked like pretty much everyone else's during the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

In fact, this is where much of my anger with the incompetent Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson stems from.

What I've been bragging about, though, are all the shares of the Vangaurd S&P 500 index fund that I was able to purchase at a fire sale price back in early March when people like High-pitch Hannity were squealing like little girls and bailing on the market ... thus foolishly locking in their losses from the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

These shares have done pretty well so far this year ... and I believe the market will yield above average returns over (at least) the next 5-6 years.

Like I said before, this fire sale of stock in the first quarter this year may've been the only good thing to come out of the Great Bush-Cheney-Cox-Paulson-GOP-Incompetence-Wall-Street-Gone-Wild-WOO-HOO Depression of 2008.

Now let me run this by ya ... since it's a stone-cold mortal lock that the Trojans will run the table this season ... and given the fact that the national championship game will be contested in Pasadena ... I'm thinking about calling the NCAA and asking them to cancel the entire college football season and just give that championship trophy to Pete.
Of course you are forgetting that all those that lost money had made it in the first place on the backs of those guys you want to put in prison. I dont believe either side but it is hard for me to imagine a spectacular investor such as yourself was sitting on the sidelines through that period of tremendous growth. Naturally you would have pulled out of the market at its peak a fe years back because you knew the Bush and co. policies were going to cause a global collaspe?

When U of A beats USC on Dec 5th will you please sell all your investments and jump off the top row of the Coliseum ?

Or at the very least let Satans Twin punch you in the face after OSU knocks the condoms off in Columbus?

A two loss USC looking strong for a Holiday Bowl bid!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Gulfstream Park

A Big (and Slow) 10 team beating the Trojans this season ... LOL

The Chokeyes, no less ... LOL

You better stick with the horses, Cannon

Undefeated National Champs